• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I bought a parts kit for an ak because I was told it was extremely and just involved sticking pieces together, like an ar, wasn't aware of all the machining that went into it... also forgot that receivers are regulated, and I'm only 20... any advice?
    Say maybe someone who could help for little to no fee? Kinda a gift for a friend, and his birthday is coming up soon...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's not particularly difficult to build, but takes some experience to do it right. At the very least you need to invest in/create some jigs for riveting. If it's not a parts-matching kit with an original barrel, you'll also have to headspace and drill.

Hold onto the kit until you're legally able to build it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I bought a parts kit for an ak because I was told it was extremely and just involved sticking pieces together, like an ar, wasn't aware of all the machining that went into it... also forgot that receivers are regulated, and I'm only 20... any advice?
    Say maybe someone who could help for little to no fee? Kinda a gift for a friend, and his birthday is coming up soon...

+1 to what everyone else said. I personally along with a lot of other people have many of the tools needed to build an AK properly. Save yourself quite a bit of work and buy a NODAK receiver or other similar quality receiver when you are 21. I am sure that someone can help you with the rivets.

If you're 21 before I leave in June, I'd be glad to help you out with riveting it up.

Mark

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Well, say I get my father to order the receiver for me, so I don't have to wait till november, what all exactly would I need?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Unfortunately you can't own an AK until you hit 21, no way around that. You could help your Dad build *his* AK, and in November he could transfer it into your possession. But between now and then it has to remain his rifle. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who will help you build a rifle you can't legally own.

November isn't that far away... I'd just wait.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Well, say I get my father to order the receiver for me, so I don't have to wait till november, what all exactly would I need?

I think you would really be tip toeing the line involving straw purchases. Even though gifts between family members are allowed.

What I would do if I were you is build up a HBAR AR15 from an 80% lower to hold you over until November.;)

Patience grasshopper...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom