• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    So, here is my not fair comparison for Aliengear (AG) on Glock 17 Gen 4 vs Crossbreed (CB) on XD 9mm sub compact. Not fair because its full size vs sub compact. Hope this will provide you some idea before you make your purchase.

Order placed on 6/4, and geez its here on 6/7.
    This got CB beat by a mile. I had to wait 30ish days for my supertuck and QuikClip.
    From top left, QuikClip on LCR357, Supertuck on XD 9mm Sub
    From bottom left, MP9 compact, MP9 full size, Glock 17 Gen4 on AG
    AllIWB_zpsc7d72a75.jpeg

Sorry, the MP are ordered for my friends, from the look of it, it needs to add more spacer for it to fit well, didn't want to mess with it.

Firearm used for comparison
    0203daca-a46b-494a-80d4-2fff07e94b02_zps6e5130b9.jpg

Front view
    XD9SubvsG171_zpscbe6357a.jpg

I don't know how to tell the difference in leather, they both look the same to me. CB's leather felt harder. I paid 5 bucks more to get AG's leather in black, same thickness but just bit softer than CB. Shell on CB is kydex, and thin lay but very durable. AG felt very plastic, thick.

Back view
    5e9bd2f4-3366-484e-92d4-304ef4a1fbf8_zps4cffad2a.jpg

+1 for CB, rough untreated leather will grab clothing, more friction make the draw easier, but can cause abrasion if you aren't wearing an inner tee. AG's back leather is treated smooth out, which felt better if wear against bare skin. Best to wear a good gun belt when using these holster to have a sure draw so holster won't come up with the firearm.

Muzzle View, gaps
    G17 on AG
    GapsG17_zps32029084.jpg

XD 9 Sub on CB
    GapsXD_zpsd39681b2.jpg

+1 for CB. I am not very found on the gap between plastic to leather on AG. CB is a very tight fit, almost no gap at all. For OWB holster, gaps like this would cause debris/dirt make contact to firearm, but for IWB it doesn't make that much a difference since its cover under clothing most the time. The trigger guards were very well covered for both. Still.. I don't like the gap, so point goes to CB.

XD 9 Sub on CB with Cover
    ce083dd5-a174-4541-973f-1f7be1306adf_zpsd7234940.jpg

XD9Sub2_zpsce36f0d9.jpeg

G17 Gen4 on AG with Cover
    536e01ed-c316-4d9b-b89e-e2d0be05b263_zpsf68e4cde.jpg

G172_zps9ebe55c7.jpeg

It prints on G17 a bit more, but keep in mind its a full size firearm. I would rate them the same level on conceal-ability.

Bonus for Glock owners.
    Normally Glock holster are interchange-able. Here is G17 Gen 4 vs G19 Gen 3

G17 Gen 4 on AG
    G17Gen4back_zpscf664895.jpeg

G19 Gen 3 on AG
    G19Gen3back_zpsd87fc280.jpeg

The "hump" is significantly more on Gen 3 vs Gen 4, it can be easier resolved by putting bigger spacer, which is included in the package.

Here is their so called "spacers". but its really rubber hose cut into different length. But it works and its all that matters!
    Washers_zpsd76ed92d.jpeg

Final thoughts:
    Raven Concealment wins!!!!!!! Sorry I like OWB better than IWB.

All jokes aside:
    Crossbreed wins!!!! But only by a thin margin.

I really like AG holster. Whoever designed it, figure out a way to minimize cost and built a very efficient holster that had almost the same function as a holster that cost 3 times more.

During my dry fire drills, I found its harder to re-holster with AG than CB since the leather is softer and collapse a little, but I think after continue use to break it in it will solve this issue.

I had spent the last 2 hour sitting in a tight office chair editing photo and writing this with G17 and AG on me, and it felt very comfortable.

For 29.99 + 5 (black leather) + 8 (shipping for 3 holster) and delivered in 4days its just amazing.

Crossbreed is still my favorite IWB holster choice, but I see myself buy another AG for my other pistol. If all I have is one pistol I carry all the time, CB is the one, but if I have different pistols and I want to carry them for different scenarios, (i.e. carry a snubby 38 to go to a nice place for dinner, or a full size when working on a vacant house downtown). AG is the one to go with so I can have more choice without breaking my wallet.

30 some dollars on a quality holster is VERY hard to beat.

I hope this help you to make the right purchase.

Edit: My friends tried out their MP9 and it fits fine, didn't need to add spacers.

Last edited:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    From what I understand, the gap in the AlienGear is so that it can be adjustable for retention. For the price, you cannot beat them.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    yeah, smaller washer would reduce the gap, but it will also make the "hump" bigger and increase discomfort. for the gen 4 medium washer worked well.

Best holster under $40 bucks (shipping included)

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks for the write up! Gonna grab one! Was worried about the quality, being only $30'but seems like it is worth it and more!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If CB wasn't so obstinate about a plain clip for their holster vs the embossed and plainly visible cross, I'd do business with them. It's supposedly sold as a concealment holster. They refuse.

It's just a pet peeve of mine.

I buy from Tommy Theis

www.theisholsters.com

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I agree about the obvious clips, but cross breed sent me a set of the behind the belt Velcro clips and they work great!

I would like to try some thicker washers on the actually clips so I have a little more room to tuck

Cross breed have my vote 100percent
    TD

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    To anyone who's ordered these: how long did it take to received shopping confirmation after placing the initial order?

I ordered mine Wednesday evening and it hasn't yet shipped.

I've read a few so far had them on their doorstep three days after placing an order

Edit: just got the shipping confirmation one hour after posting this... go fig. Anyway, can't wait — some good reviews on here so far

Last edited:

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Carry/Range report

So I been using the AG holster for my G17 for a few days now. IMHO the over all experience is great just a few little things need to get used to.

It is very comfortable to wear it with a full size pistol. Past weekend was very hot and I was outside sweating, but it didn't trap as much moisture as I imagine, it got something to do with the smooth texture of the leather I think. CB can get soaking wet due to its rough texture that will trap moisture.

Hit the range to waste ammo. The insulation is decent, I can felt the heat from barrel but not in the way I can't stand.

Had small issue when re-holster, I found it difficult to do it fast single hand, reaction hand needed to reposition the sweat shied (the tip of leather backing) to have a sure seating. Which is typical for IWB holster but I didn't have this issue with my CB.

Got to wear more to let it set into desire shape to fit my waist, but so far I am still very happy with his purchase.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Super informative comparison test. I had both holsters bookmarked with early leaning towards CB. But after this and other reviews I've read, I think I'll go with the AG. At the price point I can afford two, one from my PX4 compact 9mm and one for a Colt Cobra .38. I didn't notice if you mentioned it, but this would be great for a YouTube video. Thank you for your efforts. :rockon:

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Mine came in the mail today. I'm not blown away by it, but man for $36 it's still pretty nice. Been wearing it for a few hours now with my Sig P228 and a full mag and it's pretty comfortable... perhaps even more than my custom leather that I paid twice as much for. Overall, I'm happy and will be taking it out of state next week for a field test! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom