• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    Any information you give to the gov, be it state or fed, is retained by them somewhere. Wheather or not they have any meaningful way to use the data or if "any" is technically accurate I beleive the spirt of the statement to be accurate. Hence, they get the information I am legally required to present and nothing more.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    to the best of my knowledge, the federal (fbi) background check does not provide the gov with make, model or serial number, just a general category of firearm purchased, and of course the buyer's personal info. however the make, model and serial are registered in the ffl's bound book to which i would assume the gov has access whenever they want (eg stopping by the shop), but it's not necessarily in their 'database.'

This ^^^.

Nostromo

Jan 15, 2013
    PG County
    Anyone that thinks that there is no log of gun owners and their regulated weapons is a fool. Even though it is against the law for them to do so, they do. Just watch and see who shows up at your door if MD's AWB passes, and you haven't registered yours in the allotted time.

Let's say hypothetically you bought all your guns out of state and moved to MD years ago? How would the authorities know you have them?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    when I went on my MSP interview the concealed carry permit, the investigator only mentioned one gun I purchased.. it wasnt the first or last, just a smith 442 and he asked if that was what I was going to carry if I got a permit.. I gave them no info on any other pistols.

I had not lived in maryland for 3 years at this point but they still had record.

Same for me.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    when I went on my MSP interview the concealed carry permit, the investigator only mentioned one gun I purchased.. it wasnt the first or last, just a smith 442 and he asked if that was what I was going to carry if I got a permit.. I gave them no info on any other pistols.

I had not lived in maryland for 3 years at this point but they still had record.

Are you saying you had bought the M442 in another state, and had not "voluntarily registered" it when you moved here?

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    This link gives a very clear view of what exactly occurs during the NICS check and what happens afterwards. It also cites the Federal laws that prohibit a Federal registry of firearms.

http://content.thirdway.org/publica...ecks_Can_t_Lead_to_a_Federal_Gun_Registry.pdf

Given this information, I believe MD might be in violation of this. Based upon a reading of Senate Bill 281, its quite possible that Federal law preempts any registration requirement by Maryland. I'll have to research more on the past lawsuits against MD on this issue since CA and NY seemed to get away with a registry in the past.

18 USC Section 926
    http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/926

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    If maryland does not keep a record then why do they keep the empty shell case for handguns? They have to know who the shell case belongs to otherwise what would the point be of the shell case on file?

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    About a month ago, I was speaking with a MSP Trooper in the Licensing Division about something and she mentioned a handgun purchase I made in 1984. I asked her what model gun did they show and she was able to answer accurately.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    to the best of my knowledge, the federal (fbi) background check does not provide the gov with make, model or serial number, just a general category of firearm purchased, and of course the buyer's personal info. however the make, model and serial are registered in the ffl's bound book to which i would assume the gov has access whenever they want (eg stopping by the shop), but it's not necessarily in their 'database.'

not sure if states are the same or not...

What happens to those records when the shop closes for good? I can think of three shops in Parkville that have. Walter's, Valley, and Nichol's.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    As I recall, during the beltway sniper incident, the ATF started making visits to "known" owners of firearms chambered in .223/5.56 so obviously they have access to that information.

Yes, dont believe for a second they dont know what we have. Thats one of my main bones, they already know and I am already fp'd. Its all MO MONEY!

captain-kate

BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2012
    Hollywood, MD
    About a month ago, I was speaking with a MSP Trooper in the Licensing Division about something and she mentioned a handgun purchase I made in 1984. I asked her what model gun did they show and she was able to answer accurately.

I purchased a Taurus 24/7 about 5 years ago here in MD and sold the gun legally to a gun store last year. About 3 months later I got a call at 3:30am from a St. Marys County Deputy Sheriff asking me if I owned that particular gun - it turns out the gun shop sold the gun to someone and that person was pulled over with the gun in their car. The paperwork for the legal transfer hadn't been processed by the MSP (about a 6 month delay I was told), but the sheriff was able to call in the serial number and track the gun back to me, all while questioning this guy on the side of the road. Sure as hell they know what you have if you purchased a regulated firearm in this state!

Dec 6, 2011
    The Maryland Public Safety Dashboard is very useful when trying to reunite owners with guns that were stolen in burglaries.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    A LEO once told me that he can pull up information on any registered weapon and it says who the owner is... he explained it to me this way, they want to be able to know if there will be any possible firearms in a home before they make a visit.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    Basically if you have acquired a firearm legally in the People's Republic they already know who you are and what you have. Does this mean you will have to "prove" that you moved items that would be banned under the Firearm Safety Act out of the state (if it becomes law)? Seems this could be difficult if you weren't legally transferrring ownership to someone else (either through purchase or gift).

Additionally, this seems to prove that the registration requirement is only meant to increase revenue for the state and hassle law-abiding citizens. Since criminals will not be required to comply with registration (as a violation of their 5th Amendment rights), "they" will still have no idea where the illegal firearms (owned by those who would be most likelly to use them to commit a crime) are located. Yet more proof this bill isn't about safety at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom