• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 17, 2008
    There are WMA's I have been to in PA and WV that have shooting ranges that are always (365 during daylight) open & free to the public. Are there any like these in MD?

I've seen the DNR list of ranges, but it is hard to weed out any ranges that might be like those that are in the non-communist states.

-John

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    nothing free

ELK NECK STATE PARK

Delmarva Sporting Clays is open like 363 days a year i think, but not free, cheap, but not free

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    elk neck is closed on mondays its $10 dusk til dawn IIRC

I wonder why?

So what if its not free, the park and ranges use the money to maintain the facilities. Elk Neck just got a make over thanks to the assholes that don't respect anything.

I have no problem paying to shoot bc I know that these places depend on us and our money to keep the ranges up and running.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    I wonder why?

So what if its not free, the park and ranges use the money to maintain the facilities. Elk Neck just got a make over thanks to the assholes that don't respect anything.

I have no problem paying to shoot bc I know that these places depend on us and our money to keep the ranges up and running.

i have no problem paying either, like you said nothing's free. when did they get the makeover? i was there in november for the first time. i've heard the horror stories about dangerous shooters shooting everything but there target.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    i have no problem paying either, like you said nothing's free. when did they get the makeover? i was there in november for the first time. i've heard the horror stories about dangerous shooters shooting everything but there target.

Back in May, the place was shot to hell. There were even holes in the roof :o

Sep 17, 2008
    I don't have to pay to use a park bench or throw my trash away in a bin at a park. Many parks are based around man made lakes and soccer fields which all cost money to build.

I've been to WMA's in other states where the DNR has set up benches and berms to allow people to shoot for free. The only expense to the state is the trash pickup from that particular location in the WMA.

I live in a county that built a multi-million dollar "soccer-plex" about a decade ago and nobody is charged to use that facility. Why can't they do that for us? All the states surrounding us have free ranges.

If the issue is cost, then scratch the benches, all we need is berms. Obviously the issue isn't about cost, but about political bias against guns and their owners.

I guess I will continue going out of state to sight in my rifle or shoot for fun. I guess I'm utilizing their tax dollars and saving mine then. But then again I would rather save a hell of alot of my tax money that our state/county currently spends on things like "art centers".

The few shooting ranges that are in my county are owned by absolute rape artists and are way more expensive to shoot there for one day than it is to drive out of state for a wonderful weekend of camping and shooting.

-John

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    john, where in md are you? maryland is a big place with lots of counties.

i think the soccerplex is like comparing apples to oranges but i get your point

whats a WMA?

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Germantown Soccer Plex? It's nice and I love the place plus it's really close to Schaffer (SP) farms. There's a lot of land there and it would be nice for them to set something up for us. They also have a pool complex there but it's expensive. Upwards of $400 a year. I think that's where they make up their fees for running the place. Also, for team sporting events they charge something. In reality it would be nice for it to be free but here in Germantown and these liberals it will be hard to get it set up.

They do have the land for it and it would be nice. I wouldnt mind paying $50 as long as they give us a full range to 200 or 300 yds. They use a lot of their fields but I have never seen all of them full.

B

bluecollarkid

Hap Baker; $10 in county, $15 out of county; dawn till dusk; 365 - holidays; in Carroll County; one of the best public outdoor ranges in MD

Sep 17, 2008
    Wildlife Management Area

Sleepy Creek WMA is the only free public range I know of, situated in the mountains west of Martinsburg, WV. Maps.google "sleepy creek wma"

Last November I planned a trip up to up to Cabelas in Hamburg. I made the trip to buy a Hornady LNL AP and everyhting else I needed for reloading. A side purchase I made was the Cabelas range compensating scope that is tuned to .45-70. After Cabelas I went to go visit my brother at Penn State. While in State College I got the urge to find a place to scope in my 1895. I checked the PA DNR site and found that there was a free range at a WMA less than ten miles from State College.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom