• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Am I a MORON????

• Yes - You should have bought it and walked away SMILING from ear to ear.

Votes: 13 17.1%
    • No - Karma will reward you in the future for being a stand up guy.

Votes: 63 82.9%

• Total voters

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    karma is always a good thing to be in good graces with. you did the right thing by letting him know what he had. what goes around comes around usually comes back to you three fold. so who knows you might get one excellent piece when this guy does what he say hes going to do. that is if he aint blowing smoke up peoples rear end. if that is the case karma will go against him three fold. good luck to you

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm with Lou, where's the 8mm Mosin? Hopefully its a Polish Wz 91/98/25 or Blindee conversion and not a Berthier mistaken for a Mosin (wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    not a big deal really...if you are trying to educate him then :thumbsup: its all worth what the buyer is willing to pay...no matter how you look at it...20 years ago I passed on sks's at gun shows for $99....how many of you couldn't get the money out of your pockets quick enough for this buy today?? I know I would be pulling a 100 bucks out quick! Today that same sks is going for $450+ and now Im not willing to pay that price...if you can find them...lol Somewhere theres a deal to be had...you just have to be at the right place at the right time...:D

Many moons ago at a gun show...
    A 01FFL had an 1895/'96 Krag Carbine for $900. Being a Kragaphile, I pointed out what he had and stated it was worth far more than $900. He replied that it was a piece gun and Krag Carbines didn't exist until '96. I further explained that the first ~1,000 carbines still had receivers stamped "1895". He then got condescending with his retort...
    I decided to end our conversation with "I'll take it". The look on his face was priceless, as he realized I was serious about what he had.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    In my opinion he was asking about $50 too much for a double dated MO refurb. Now that he knows these are "special" you may get to go through his crates to cherry pick some good ones but now I'll be wasting my time going through these picked over crates looking for an unusual one. I'm not ragging on the OP but I don't educate a seller on his wares as I feel it is his responsibility to know what he's selling. If he doesn't know what he has in this day of internet access he is either lazy or doesn't care about what he is selling. I have spent many enjoyable hours researching the guns I collect and arming myself with knowledge about them so that I can recognize a good deal when I come across one. I would never lie or cheat to get a seller to lower his price but neither would I tell him if the price was too low. I make exceptions for widows or the truly clueless but if the seller has an FFL I consider it his responsibility to know the value of the stuff he sells to make a living.
    In this case the FFL is getting free help in sorting and pricing his stock and the OP is getting to cherry pick some potentially good stuff. The rest of the collecting community, including the OP get to look harder for the next diamond in the rough. My gradmother gave me a bit of advice that has served me well in the years since her passing, "Never tell all you know." Now that you all know what a ruthless and heartless S.O.B. I happen to be I'll go out and kick my dog for a while.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Many moons ago at a gun show...
    A 01FFL had an 1895/'96 Krag Carbine for $900. Being a Kragaphile, I pointed out what he had and stated it was worth far more than $900. He replied that it was a piece gun and Krag Carbines didn't exist until '96. I further explained that the first ~1,000 carbines still had receivers stamped "1895". He then got condescending with his retort...
    I decided to end our conversation with "I'll take it". The look on his face was priceless, as he realized I was serious about what he had.

Great story! You tried .... :innocent0

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    $200 would have been a fair price for a FTF local sale for that mosin i think, when you consider current online prices + shipping, $200 is about right, maybe a tad high.

i dont think buying it would have been taking advantage in any way.

still, you did good by educating him, and getting first dibs out of a crate you may end up getting a better deal.

although i have to wonder if he was charging $200, not knowing what made the rifle special, that means he thought he was looking for $200 on a standard hex, so i have to wonder if there really is any good deal to be had even picking from the crate.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    the real solution is to buy your first 50 guns or so, after you've passed that hurdle, you have more than your wife can keep track of and you're home free :D

heck at a certain point even you will start to lose track!

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I don't think that paying $200 for a hex MO marked Mosin would have been taking advantage of him.
    I have a crap load of mosins, but I havent bought any recently. I think the going rate for a mosin is still under $200

What would you think a fair price is for the rifle?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    the real solution is to buy your first 50 guns or so, after you've passed that hurdle, you have more than your wife can keep track of and you're home free :D

heck at a certain point even you will start to lose track!

That's yet another good reason to collect handguns. You can only put so many long guns into a very visible safe, but a plastic toolbox full of other stuff can look very innocent, right out in plain sight.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    aim has MO marked 91/30's for sale right now for $150.

Yes, but unless you have a C&R that's $200 when you finally get it so no savings, and are they hex or round?

The problem with crates is that by the time they arrive at a dealer here they have already been picked through 3-4 times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom