• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    for thinking about swapping out the walnut stock on my trusty old Remington 700 BDL 30-06 for a Hogue overmolded one?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wood is def beautiful, but it gets trashed out in the field and you have the atmospheric effects also. i will never buy another wood-stocked gun.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    maybe a little background... planning a 2023 SC hog hunt, thinking I will take this gun. Very minor concern about the SC humidity affecting POI. I also hate taking a walnut stock into the field during inclement weather. I sometimes make furniture, and it always feels to me like sitting a walnut dresser I just built out in the rain... I view my rifles as tools, not objects of art, although looking at them does give me great pleasure...

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Yes you are crazy, then again I own Glocks, which are functional over form.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    maybe a little background... planning a 2023 SC hog hunt, thinking I will take this gun. Very minor concern about the SC humidity affecting POI. I also hate taking a walnut stock into the field during inclement weather. I sometimes make furniture, and it always feels to me like sitting a walnut dresser I just built out in the rain... I view my rifles as tools, not objects of art, although looking at them does give me great pleasure...
    That's a whole lotta firepower for a hog hunt. I go to FL at least once a year to hog hunt and I always take my 300 blkout for day shots. Or my Ruger American 308 for long distance. At night, I'm shooting a AR-10 in 308 with Thermal.
    Yeah, some of you guys will say the 308 is a lot of firepower also, but its needed for shots over 100 yds. Also, getting a shot at a hog over 100 yds in FL is not common. SC I would think would be similar. The south east coast woods where the hogs live is just too thick, and you're not likely to see a hog in a field 200+ yds out in the daytime. Fist pig I killed 8 years ago was with my Ultra Slugger 12ga at about 60 yds. It was more than enough gun to drop the hog dead.

Do what is comfortable for you, but I think with the terrain you will see in SC, the '06 is overkill. JMHO

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I have one of those Houge over molded set ups on a HD shotgun.

They are nice. My hands can be wet and I will grip the Houge stock like it's sewn to my hands. They are really nice.

I have a normal wood stock on an identical shotgun. It's looks more classic for sure. I prefer it for trap shooting on a nice dry summer afternoon.

But for my HD set up where I assume I'd be sweating buckets and shaking....the Houge grip is glued to my hands.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Yes! Spend a couple $$ more and get a Mossberg for a plastic stock, keep the nice walnut on the nice shotty.

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    Not the same thing, but I swapped out the stock and forend on my Rem 870 for the Magpul ones. I really needed to shorten the LOP on the stock. I am hanging onto the original furniture in case I want to sell it or at least put it back to original. I would hang onto the walnut but swap it out how you see fit. It's your gun!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Short answer on the stock is; it's your rifle but I would not. I also agree that 30-06 is overkill for hogs; but better more than not enough. My pick would be this Ruger American 7.62x39 with a 2-7X scope for daylight hours. Actually if your Remmy has irons you could just use those.

rifle-76239-ruger-rar.jpeg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I prefer my hunting gun stocks be either laminate or synthetic. If only considering the two, the Hogue overmold stock would be a winner in my mind for purpose. I have one on a Mini-14. Love the grip factor and no worry of wood swelling in high humidity/rain. Have you considered a laminate option? Boyd's has some excellent and relatively customizable options out there depending on what you're looking for.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    You are not crazy. Its a good question. Wood stock is beautiful. Plastic is practical.

Unless your expose wood stock to severe wet and humid conditions. It the wood can swell. How much swelling in certain areas will effect performance of your gun is negligible. Wood stocks have been around for hundreds of years. Plastic not so much. Like bullets and powder, best keep it dry and just keep it stock.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    My R700 30-06 is well used and the wood stock is also beat up. My friend gave it to me when he got his new rifle. I wonder if I can dress this up and use it as a long-range shooter instead of buying an AR-10? Following here if you get something post it I am interested to see.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Don't buy a new stock, buy a new gun. This is a perfect excuse; going on a hog hunt which could mess up the walnut so buy a new gun with a poly stock in whatever caliber suits the game and terrain. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom