• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I've been following as well... I already have a few radios on the shelf in the basement... Been thinking about dustin'em off and crankin'em up... like I've got the time...:rolleyes:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I’m not sure but I can say that the build quality of the Diamond seemed to be very good. Did you compare the technical specs? I’m wondering what makes it more expensive too.

Yes I compared. All I really saw was a little more gain from the Comet. Diamond has nice graphics of the radiation pattern but I couldn't find similar data for the Comet to compare them.

I'm not planning on putting up a tower, just mounting above my roof, maybe 40ft above ground level, but not above tree tops. I'm almost on the highest elevation in my neighborhood, about 80 ft above tide level.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I am following this thread with that sickening sense of inevitability that comes with knowing another interesting, not-inexpensive time-crushing pursuit is about to get its claws into me. Darn you all to heck.

I’ve read that operators use Drones to string up lines over trees to hoist up long HF antennas. You’re half way there.

But in all seriousness it all started out as an emergency preparedness endeavor for me. It never really materialized into the two way emergency off grid comm tool that I dreamed about having in a serious SHTF emergency, but it’s been quite engaging none the less.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yes I compared. All I really saw was a little more gain from the Comet. Diamond has nice graphics of the radiation pattern but I couldn't find similar data for the Comet to compare them.

I'm not planning on putting up a tower, just mounting above my roof, maybe 40ft above ground level, but not above tree tops. I'm almost on the highest elevation in my neighborhood, about 80 ft above tide level.

That sounds like it would be pretty good conditions. If you don’t have an HOA you could just use 1-1/4” Galvanized Conduit as a mast and give yourself an extra 10ft It’s a huge boost for an extra $15 in material.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’ve read that operators use Drones to string up lines over trees to hoist up long HF antennas. You’re half way there.

I think I'l get into training falcons to do that, so I can have another maddening hobby :)

But in all seriousness it all started out as an emergency preparedness endeavor for me.

That's right where my brain has always been on this. Want to be able to remain connected to the world, or at least to key neighbors, family, and friends if life here inside the beltway gets too exciting one day. But I'd probably settle for just having some gear with nice blinking lights that occasionally emits the sound of someone talking in Finnish. I might pick your brains at some point.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I think I'l get into training falcons to do that, so I can have another maddening hobby :)
    And when the falcons drop the ropes on the other side, you can train cats to grab the other ends and pull the slack out. Easy peasy, do it all from the HoveRound...
    That's right where my brain has always been on this. Want to be able to remain connected to the world, or at least to key neighbors, family, and friends if life here inside the beltway gets too exciting one day. But I'd probably settle for just having some gear with nice blinking lights that occasionally emits the sound of someone talking in Finnish. I might pick your brains at some point.
    Many people get into the hobby for that reason...and very often expand as they learn how fascinating it can be.

I'm no good with Finn (que pasa?), but luckily, English is the predominant language for international ham commo.

It certainly pays to get licensed ahead of any event, so that protocols and procedures can be learned. In fact, if you're a "prepper", then prepping your radio skills is as important as owning a radio. It is no different than owning a defensive firearm and then never training or testing - it becomes a simple, and ineffective, talisman.

Licenses are free, as are the exams administered by the local Laurel VEC network of exam sites, and there are free online classes. Local clubs also provide classes at nominal cost.

Licensing and learning allows one to make the most of their commo without interfering with established networks or ongoing emergency communications. Practicing with an established VHF or HF "net" is invaluable in learning how to effectively use your radio to communicate and pass traffic. Start with listening... If you have any sort of broadband receiver or VHF/UHF scanner, you can probably monitor the "2 meter" (144-147 mHz) traffic from repeaters local to you. You can find such repeaters by scanning (hard & slow, due to intermittent traffic and how broad the band is), or by doing a location based search of repeaters at RepeaterBook: https://repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=none In MoCo, Silver Spring has several repeaters and you can probably hear Greenbelt and Laurel with even a rudimentary, built-in antenna.

The ARRL (the ham version of the NRA) site is a good resource for learning, and contains links to local classes and exams:
    "Getting Licensed" page: http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training
    "New Ham" page: http://www.arrl.org/get-on-the-air

There is a lot of info over at ArfCom, believe it or not, and they have an active ham section: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ham_Radios/22/
    The "Important Threads" link has a slew of info on getting started (study guides and exam advice) and getting set up: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Important-Threads-New-to-the-forum-check-here-first-/22-665780/

Preppers will like the "Go Box" thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/The_EMCOMM_Box/22-648273/?
    Some of those setups rival good base stations...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Comet GP-6?

Diamond X200A.

I actually got my transceiver together and fired it up for a few min. I’m able to open several repeaters within 20-23mi. I could ping a repeater in Davidsonville (27mi) and get it to open but with lots of static.

Now you've got me hung up between the 2, wondering if the Comet is worth the extra $100

DUH! Since I have a 2m/1.25m/70cm HT that I might use with the antenna, I decided to get the Comet CX-333. Specs, reviews and price are all great.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Just be sure you need the 6. No point in spending more money, if your repeaters are close. If they are very far away, the Arrow antenna may be a better buy.

http://www.arrowantennas.com/solid/146-4s.html

I can hit 5 repeaters with a rubber duck; I might have some other goal. The CX-333 is a lot less expensive than the 6.

Someone advised me that a directional antenna isn't worth spending money on unless you put it up high enough to clear all your local trees.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I can hit 5 repeaters with a rubber duck; I might have some other goal. The CX-333 is a lot less expensive than the 6.

Someone advised me that a directional antenna isn't worth spending money on unless you put it up high enough to clear all your local trees.

Okay, only you can know your goals. I can work one repeater, a long way off from the front, and still reach my local repeater off the back. That's at just 35 feet height. Additionally, if I want to, I can change it to horizontal polarization, for long distance SSB work. That isn't possible with a vertical. Not bad for 78.95.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012363

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    TWO WEEKS!!

Yup, you heard right: Two weeks until the next FREE licensing exam session at the National Electronics Museum in beautifully industrialized Linthicum!

Date/Time:

Tuesday, November 26 / 5:45pm

Pre-registration info:

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/ve-testing

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/ve-testing/map

Plenty of time to cram and finish studying for your Tech or your upgrade.

ToolAA - probably time for your XX3XXXstroke AE. ;)

Meantime, if you're ready now, they are administering exams in Laurel this Saturday:

https://calendar.google.com/calenda...DAwWiBtYXJ5bGFuZG1vYmlsZWVyc0Bt&ctz=GMT-05:00

Ed, I’m not sure I’m going to be ready for Tuesday. I’m trying but I’ve only been able to slip in maybe 20-30 min of study time per day over the past two weeks. I’m scoring 60-70 on practice test....Unless I can get up into the mid-80’s by Monday night I think I should wait until January.

However playing around on 40m has really gotten me more excited and motivated to get the AE test under my belt.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is a followup to my previous post about modifying the FT-991A to add an integrated SDR to add an PC Based external PanAdapter. The main goal here was to be able to use Ham Radio Deluxe to control the transceiver but to use the PC Panadapter to quickly monitor a wide spectrum of activity and jump quickly to the desired frequency. Then should I choose to transmit the PAT Board will block the transmit signal from the Transceiver automatically protecting the embedded SDR.

After a lot of experimentation with HDSDR and HRD I finally get everything to play nice together.

https://youtu.be/YnRG-i_fXN8

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ed, I’m not sure I’m going to be ready for Tuesday. I’m trying but I’ve only been able to slip in maybe 20-30 min of study time per day over the past two weeks. I’m scoring 60-70 on practice test....Unless I can get up into the mid-80’s by Monday night I think I should wait until January.

However playing around on 40m has really gotten me more excited and motivated to get the AE test under my belt.
    Well, if it's free and close enough to your QTH, it might be worth trying while you have your momentum.
    The AARC club will host an exam on Saturday 14 December, 12:30 pm.
    There you go! Closer than January and at the clubhouse in Davidsonville, still free.

Traveler, I'm a member of both clubs and the Millersville club is not testing in December, although our "4th Tuesday" schedule puts it on Christmas Eve, so cancelling makes sense. I don't see an exam session listed on the Davidsonville club's calendar yet...are you sure it's on?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Yes I am sure. I am a VE there. It is listed on the ARRL site as well.

Exam Session
    12/14/2019 | Davidsonville MD 21035

Sponsor: Anne Arundel Radio Club
    Time: 1:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
    Learn More

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I ran across an actual physical book on which I spent $1.50, just cuz. Then I noticed the author’s last name is Hertz. Nom d’plume, I imagine.

Attachments

• E6902B63-25C2-4C14-9EA1-3F0BD1571623.jpg
      E6902B63-25C2-4C14-9EA1-3F0BD1571623.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 180

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads