• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulabula

Nov 27, 2007
    Millersville, MD
    Ok, now i'm stuck. I have my general but i don't have the spare money to buy an HF setup. I currently only have two baofengs (UV-5R and GT-5R). So i'll be starting from scratch. I would sell a firearm but the ones that could fund this are not sellable in this state.
    Join one of the local clubs, or simply show up in person at a meeting as a guest and say hi, and let them know what you are looking for. There are a lot of older and perfectly good HF transceivers out there.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Join one of the local clubs, or simply show up in person at a meeting as a guest and say hi, and let them know what you are looking for. There are a lot of older and perfectly good HF transceivers out there.
    This. Join a club. attend regularly and ask if anyone has an HF rig you can borrow. Most hams have more radios than they use and would love to help another ham get more into the hobby.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I"m planning on going to MMARC meeting to see if i fit in. Liked the people i met during my General test in Laurel as well but i'm closer to millersville.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    13 Colonies special event is going on now until July 7 midnight.
    This is a fun event that's pretty quick and easy. There are 13 stations and 2 bonus stations. Ironically one of the bonus stations is in the UK. You only need 1 station and $5 to get a certificate. All 13 stations for a clean sweep. All bands and all modes.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    13 Colonies special event is going on now until July 7 midnight.
    This is a fun event that's pretty quick and easy. There are 13 stations and 2 bonus stations. Ironically one of the bonus stations is in the UK. You only need 1 station and $5 to get a certificate. All 13 stations for a clean sweep. All bands and all modes.

3 bonus stations. France, TM13COL, Great Britain GB13COL, and Philadelphia WM3PEN

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    We would love to have you and would not hold it against you if you took your exams somewhere else, no matter how sketchy. :innocent0

You don't have to have a license to attend our meetings (Baldwin Hall, Millersville, 7:30pm second Friday of the month).

We are doing a small Amateur Radio demo table at Downs Park this Saturday, June 3, 12-4pm. I think they're just going to operate VHF/UHF due to antenna size vs available space. Can't recall what the over-lying event at the park that day is.

We are also operating in Downs Park for Field Day weekend, at the Youth Camping Area, June 24-25. I believe we'll have 3-4 HF rigs running. We encourage visitors and it's a great way to get a demo and possibly a little operating experience. I worked as a control operator and ran a rig with about 5 kids gathered around taking turns making contacts at one of our field day exercises. We're setting up Saturday morning, starting about 9am. I think the AA county emergency commo unit will be there with us Saturday evening, which is basically a big RV with built-in radios to work just about any frequency/mode there is - VERY impressive rig.

TICKS are ferocious and numerous at the park, especially in the grassy 'youth camping field', so be sure to use good repellent (DEET doesn't work well for ticks).
    DEET is somewhat effective, certainly better than nothing

Tick Checks and the Use of Insect Repellent - CT.gov

[DEET — The repellent that is most commonly used against ticks in the United States is DEET (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide). Products with 10 to 30 percent DEET are adequate in most cases. The higher the concentration of DEET in a product, the longer it lasts.Jun 25, 2021]

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    We would love to have you and would not hold it against you if you took your exams somewhere else, no matter how sketchy. :innocent0

You don't have to have a license to attend our meetings (Baldwin Hall, Millersville, 7:30pm second Friday of the month).

<snip>
    Hey i heard a net on the 805 today but i wasn't on at the beginning. I was going to join but they were going through the rotation pretty quick. What is the etiquette if you aren't on at the beginning? Should i have just thrown out my Callsign during a break between talkers? It was around 1530 and i don't see that time frame listed on the repeater book page so wasn't sure if it was meant to be "private".

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Net control usually has a break somewhere in the rotation to ask for new sign ins. Just listen until you hear it.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Ok, now i'm stuck. I have my general but i don't have the spare money to buy an HF setup. I currently only have two baofengs (UV-5R and GT-5R). So i'll be starting from scratch. I would sell a firearm but the ones that could fund this are not sellable in this state.
    I'm not sure on your price point, but I'm hoping to see the Xiegu G90 on sale for Prime Day this year. In past years, this 20W HF radio (which includes an antenna tuner) was $399 during Prime Day. It was on sale for $450 a couple weeks ago. If I see it this year on sale during Prime Day, I'll post a link to this thread. Amazon product ASIN B08X6Z6KN2
    Also, check out the uBitx v6. It's a $209 radio kit - 5W on all HF bands. I built one a couple years ago and I don't recall having to solder anything - it's just plugging wires together and attaching everything to the case. However, you'd still need an antenna tuner and this is only 5W output. https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6-buy-the-full-kit/

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Net control usually has a break somewhere in the rotation to ask for new sign ins. Just listen until you hear it.
    Yeah that is why i asked, i thought that was the norm. I waited for that and it didn't happen in the half hour i was listening. Then they were GONE. so i figured i'd ask for next time.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I'm not sure on your price point, but I'm hoping to see the Xiegu G90 on sale for Prime Day this year. In past years, this 20W HF radio (which includes an antenna tuner) was $399 during Prime Day. It was on sale for $450 a couple weeks ago. If I see it this year on sale during Prime Day, I'll post a link to this thread. Amazon product ASIN B08X6Z6KN2
    Also, check out the uBitx v6. It's a $209 radio kit - 5W on all HF bands. I built one a couple years ago and I don't recall having to solder anything - it's just plugging wires together and attaching everything to the case. However, you'd still need an antenna tuner and this is only 5W output. https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6-buy-the-full-kit/
    Thanks i'll look into this one. I remember it being mentioned in one of the videos i've been watching on radios.
    ETA: these were some of the statements that had me doubting the 20w radios

"It is difficult to be successful on SSB with 20 watts unless you have a considerably larger antenna system."

"I cannot recommend a QRP transceiver to a beginner on HF, especially if you intend to get consistent SSB contacts and if you will have a compromised antenna. QRP is OK for FT8 and CW, however. So stick with at least 20W and preferably 100W."

Last edited:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Thanks i'll look into this one. I remember it being mentioned in one of the videos i've been watching on radios.
    ETA: these were some of the statements that had me doubting the 20w radios

"It is difficult to be successful on SSB with 20 watts unless you have a considerably larger antenna system."

"I cannot recommend a QRP transceiver to a beginner on HF, especially if you intend to get consistent SSB contacts and if you will have a compromised antenna. QRP is OK for FT8 and CW, however. So stick with at least 20W and preferably 100W."
    Yes, 20W won’t set the world on fire, but: (1) it’s better than the usual 5W QRP rig; (2) it has a built in tuner; (3) the difference between 20W and 100W is approximately 2 S-units (napkin math); and (4) you can get an amplifier down the road and run 100W or more (think of it as a modular system - get the radio first, then the amplifier).

I’ve made many SSB contacts using my 5W uBitx and a vertical antenna. Not during crowded conditions though.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you don't mind eBay, there are a number of 100W transceivers in the $300 to $450 range that are good. Personally, I wouldn't touch those Chinese transceivers with a 10 foot pole since I feel that they are junk.

Just a few examples.

Last edited:

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Thank you both, i sure didn't think about being able to add an amplifier to the G90. I don't mind used though either, just always have in the back of my mind I don't know if the ebay seller is a scammer.
    A lot to think about here.

clarencehenherder

MDS Supporter
    Aug 19, 2013
    Sussex County, Delaware
    I have a Xeigu 90 that my wife bought me for Christmas last Prime Day. Unbelievable for the price. I use a simple wire dipole. 20 watts and I have couple dozen countries from Chile to central Russia.

The antenna tuner is great and belive it or not at this price you can “see” 50 Khz on the spectrum display so no tuning around looking for a signal. Makes it so easy to spot those CQ stations. You would pay a lot more for these features on other radios

20 watts doesn’t sound like much but with good conditions you will get through. Audio is reported to be excellent

One “problem” I’ve encountered is telling someone in Europe I’m running 20 watts on a very simple dipole. These guys are running 1000 watts on big beam antennas. I think some of them don’t believe me.

They will swamp you on “pile ups” but when is clear you are golden.

Liked it so much I went right ahead to the Extra and passed

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    3 bonus stations. France, TM13COL, Great Britain GB13COL, and Philadelphia WM3PEN
    Thanks for the correction.

I scored all the 13 colony stations this year but none of the bonus stations.

I'm still learning CW and was disappointed when I heard a contest station on CW get an answer from a slower hunter. The contest station didn't slow down to match the hunter's speed. I almost worked up the nerve to try a few times but not if they aren't going to slow down a bit for me.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks for the correction.

I scored all the 13 colony stations this year but none of the bonus stations.

I'm still learning CW and was disappointed when I heard a contest station on CW get an answer from a slower hunter. The contest station didn't slow down to match the hunter's speed. I almost worked up the nerve to try a few times but not if they aren't going to slow down a bit for me.
    I got all 13 and William Penn. The later is usually hard for me because it's so close.

France seemed to be mostly operating FT4 or FT8. England was always weak for me. Strange because I've had long QSOs to England. And of course, there was already massive pileups.

But it's always a fun event.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    DEET is somewhat effective, certainly better than nothing
    "somewhat effective"...yes. "better than nothing"...yes.
    Tick Checks and the Use of Insect Repellent - CT.gov

[DEET — The repellent that is most commonly used against ticks in the United States is DEET (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide). Products with 10 to 30 percent DEET are adequate in most cases. The higher the concentration of DEET in a product, the longer it lasts.Jun 25, 2021]
    "...most commonly used..." doesn't mean "most effective". DEET IS the most commonly used insect repellent for EVERYTHING, mainly because that's what most department stores sell as insect repellent.

I worked outside daily in what seemed to be the tick capitol of the world (a Virginia cattle pasture/hayfield) for 5 years, teaching long range shooting. I put down white canvas ground cloths for us to lay shooting mats on, so we could see the ticks coming as they charged us. I have had to remove several ticks a day from my clothing and usually got one embedded about once a week, in spite of using DEET. Rare was the time I wasn't scratching at least one healing tick bite.

Ticks plagued me until I switched to permethrin. Pre-treating my boots and work pants with permethrin, then doing a light refresh each morning made all the difference in the world. I also treated the edges of my ground cloths, which seemed to help deter them.

Very strong concentrations of DEET do work better (as might a very strong concentration of diesel fuel), but also will cause damage to plastics and stock finishes, and are no longer recommended for application to human skin, hence the "10 to 30%" being considered "adequate" (safer and less destructive).

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    *** Ham Exams In Three Weeks ***

Tuesday, August 1, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers Amatuer Radio Club.

Pre-registration is now required to guarantee a session will be in progress.

We have had some sessions where we set up in spite of no one having pre-registered and had no one show up. We often get walk-ins, but not always. It takes about 9 of us to conduct exams and some of us drive 30 minutes, which is a huge waste of time, gas and effort if no one is coming to take the exams.

Because of this, we have changed our procedure and will not be setting up for exams if no one has pre-registered.

If you want to take a chance of just showing up, you can certainly do that and IF we are conducting exams that night anyway, you will be welcomed and registered on the spot, but there is also a chance we will not be there and you will have wasted your time. PLEASE pre-register.

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn )

Note that the exams are given FREE and no payment is needed to take the exams.

The FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have up to 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Side Note #1:
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham"), would like to eventually get licensed, you have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

Side Note #2:
    If you are taking the Technician exam with us and pass, you will be eligible for your first year of membership with Maryland Mobileers Amatuer Radio Club FREE. We meet monthly in Millersville, and meetings are also available remotely via ZOOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom