• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    A couple of points:

1) California's tax law, which is probably going to be the blueprint for this one, is here. It's pretty dense and introduces the concept of an "ammo vendor license." Discussions on well known boards and other places in the interweb explain how CA gun owners are planning to deal with the CA tax requirements. (I won't post details here).

2) If you have access to facebook, and the stomach for it, the recording of the bill announcement press conference is here:

The new head of MDers to Prevent Gun [Ownership] spoke, and while trying to justify this new law misstated the purpose of the federal Robinson-Pittman Act excise taxes.

She claimed the RPA money goes to "remediating the [gun industry] effects on wildlife populations" and that RPA taxes mean that "the gun industry has been paying to offset the harms that they do[sic] to wildlife"(!); and "gun industry growth has been accompanied by more shootings" (lies start at 7:37)

A lady, whose son was murdered, starts talking after that and says that the goal of the leg. is to reduce access to firearms and ammo by raising the prices, and it "holds individuals accountable."

Sen. Smith starts rattling off his incoherent legal analysis of the bill at 27:25, which is that it will "save lives" in the meantime while the current Bruen-based 2A litigation percolates through the circuit courts.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You don't pay gas tax on the gas in the tank of a car you just stole or carjacked. Well, I guess you could, I am sure the Comptrollers Office has an online form for that. If you think these kind fellows are buying legalized marijuana, I have some real estate to see you just east of Ocean City. I'll give you a deal on a whole city block if you are interested

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Looks like I’ll be buying all of my ammo in another state or out of the back of a truck from a certain individual…….oh wait, I already do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If they write it the same way liquor is taxed and CA has their ammo tax, it will be illegal to buy out of state and transport it into Maryland.

Manufacturing new criminals from ordinary citizens

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    You knew it was coming.

Some Maryland lawmakers are proposing legislation to tax dealers and manufacturers of guns and ammunition to fund the state’s trauma system.

Del. Bernice Mireku-North (D-Montgomery), who will sponsor the Comprehensive Community Safety Funding Act in the House of Delegates, said an excise tax would generate an estimated $13 million. The money, Mireku-North said, would also come from firearms associated with mass shootings, which burden the state’s trauma systems.

“The trauma of gun violence is not an anomaly because gun violence is a public health crisis,” she said during a press conference Wednesday in Annapolis. “It’s far too commonplace, which is why we are working together to find comprehensive and common-sense solutions.”

The legislation hasn’t been filed yet, but Del. Emily Shetty (D-Montgomery) who will be a co-sponsor, said the money would fund the state’s Trauma Physician Services fund. She said it currently generates $12 million annually. An additional $9.5 million was appropriated in the fund for this current fiscal year, she said.

“The system needs more money,” she said.

I propose a "gang tax". Who's with me?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I propose a "gang tax". Who's with me?
    Might run into 1A freedom of association issues. Go for a "Gang Violence Tax" of $500k per act per participant, with joint and severable liability to anyone wittingly involved in planning, executing, or supporting. And life in prison without any early release eligibility for those who fail to pay within 1 hour of incurring the tax liability. Oh, and all payments must be made in person at a new, unmanned Treasury facility to be located on Bikini Atoll. Or maybe Mogadishu.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The money, Mireku-North said, would also come from firearms associated with mass shootings, which burden the state’s trauma systems.
    How do you get money from a firearm unless you sell it back to the public?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If they write it the same way liquor is taxed and CA has their ammo tax, it will be illegal to buy out of state and transport it into Maryland.

Manufacturing new criminals from ordinary citizens

And I won’t give a sh*t, I’ll still buy it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    SOP for the Demond-Crats Tax and Spend more Tax more spending it never ends with them. I hear a lot of bitching about them and them and tired of the BS. There are 3,975,309 registered Demond-Crats in MD and 1,020,029 registered Republicans. There are 834,325 independent voters in MD. The problems are less than 35% of the registered Republicans voted. Also, about the same for the Demond -Crats the difference is they out number US by 2 to 1. So quit bitching and vote. This year my wife registered as a Republican as she is tired of the BS.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    SOP for the Demond-Crats Tax and Spend more Tax more spending it never ends with them. I hear a lot of bitching about them and them and tired of the BS. There are 3,975,309 registered Demond-Crats in MD and 1,020,029 registered Republicans. There are 834,325 independent voters in MD. The problems are less than 35% of the registered Republicans voted. Also, about the same for the Demond -Crats the difference is they out number US by 2 to 1. So quit bitching and vote. This year my wife registered as a Republican as she is tired of the BS.
    Everyone forgets 2-3 million UNREGISTERED vote-eligible residents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom