• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exactly. We were all newbs once, right?

Well...maybe some of us may have learned from our ammo hoarding fathers, but didn't have the financial ability to get started stockpiling right at 18 :innocent0

I have three more Outlaw Steel Challenges in me before I bow out due to ammo shortages.
    My "Prepper Pack" rule will not permit me to have high volume fun days below 3000rds in stock.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Do you guys think prices will go down anytime soon? Hopefully the silent majority votes in November. Otherwise it’s going to get worse. Just my opinion that’s worth what you paid for it. 0$

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    Sgammo has Wolf Gold 223/556 in stock now. 460$ per case. About 200$ more than it was....times have changed

2 weeks ago I scored 500 rounds of ae223 from SGammo for $185, shipping and tax included, when I clicked the link it said there was 45 available, I added 2 of the cart (max allowed and it only showed 1 in the cart) so tried to update quantity to 2 again and it said it was unavailable so ended up getting 1, shame because shipping for 2 was only $2 more

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    they actually had some of the Remington thunderbolt 500 round boxes for $30 a box. I picked up 2-3 (all I had cash on hand for) but I felt that was a great price for decent ammo compared to Cabela’s.

In what world is Thunderbolt decent ammo????

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I’ve just gotten into ARs (built my first about 3 weeks ago), what were prices for that before all of this?

My non-crazy-times rule of thumb was $.40cpr or less for non-steel 223/556 and $.05cpr for 22lr, I've sometimes bought at lower, I've definitely bought at higher....dont ask how much higher : /

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    My non-crazy-times rule of thumb was $.40cpr or less for non-steel 223/556 and $.05cpr for 22lr, I've sometimes bought at lower, I've definitely bought at higher....dont ask how much higher : /

That makes me feel like shit for how much I’ve paid for ammo then lately (just starting my stock pile)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    That makes me feel like shit for how much I’ve paid for ammo then lately (just starting my stock pile)

I’m in the same boat - grabbing it up in bulk when I can, paying a premium, not being too picky. I wouldn’t feel too bad about it bc it doesn’t look like things are gonna improve in the near future and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. The shortage may perversely increase demand further, supply chains are still disrupted, rolling shutdowns might keep affecting factory production, and we’re a few months out from an election that likely bodes poorly for 2a and/or could exacerbate civil unrest. Happy Thursday...

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    I’ve just gotten into ARs (built my first about 3 weeks ago), what were prices for that before all of this?

Unfortunately this is probabbly the worst time to be buying in 15 yrs. Even after sandy hook i only remember brass cased 5.56 getting to 60 cents a round.

Earlier in the year you could get federal 556 for less than .25 after rebates. Cheap ARs were 350-400.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I’m in the same boat - grabbing it up in bulk when I can, paying a premium, not being too picky. I wouldn’t feel too bad about it bc it doesn’t look like things are gonna improve in the near future and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. The shortage may perversely increase demand further, supply chains are still disrupted, rolling shutdowns might keep affecting factory production, and we’re a few months out from an election that likely bodes poorly for 2a and/or could exacerbate civil unrest. Happy Thursday...

Ya I’m still waiting on my tax return to come back (submitted it in early April), I was gonna use it to buy ammo/firearms but it doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to anymore.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Unfortunately this is probabbly the worst time to be buying in 15 yrs. Even after sandy hook i only remember brass cased 5.56 getting to 60 cents a round.

Earlier in the year you could get federal 556 for less than .25 after rebates. Cheap ARs were 350-400.

I got some brass 223/556 for about that (60 cpr)but not in huge quantities. Like cheaper than dirt had 223 Remington purple training ammo for $9 a box but with an order limit of 5 boxes and I think I placed 4-5 orders of it before it sold out and I’ve already ran about 300 rounds of it through my AR before I placed these new orders and liked it (not as great as top shelf stuff but not terrible IE no FTF/FTE)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I got some brass 223/556 for about that (60 cpr)but not in huge quantities. Like cheaper than dirt had 223 Remington purple training ammo for $9 a box but with an order limit of 5 boxes and I think I placed 4-5 orders of it before it sold out and I’ve already ran about 300 rounds of it through my AR before I placed these new orders and liked it (not as great as top shelf stuff but not terrible IE no FTF/FTE)

Friends don't allow friends to buy from CTD.

In 2013, they were cancelling peoples confirmed orders to relist the product at a higher price.

So you would order some ammo at say 40 cents per round. They would accept your order, charge your card. Then a day or two later, cancel your order and relist the ammo for 50 cents per round. Rinse, repeat.

Same with mags and other items.

F them. I will not spend a PENNY with them.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Friends don't allow friends to buy from CTD.

In 2013, they were cancelling peoples confirmed orders to relist the product at a higher price.

So you would order some ammo at say 40 cents per round. They would accept your order, charge your card. Then a day or two later, cancel your order and relist the ammo for 50 cents per round. Rinse, repeat.

Same with mags and other items.

F them. I will not spend a PENNY with them.

Shit I didn’t know that, I already got one order delivered and the other two are in transit

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Back in '09 I bought my first case of xm193 for $420. Around '15 or '16 I was buying Wolf Gold .223 for $250-$270/ case.
    Due to the financial hardship of marrying off 2 daughters within 2 years I didn't buy much during the recent glut but I know folks here were talking " buy it cheap and stack it deep" for times just like this.
    When you're new to the game you gotta do what ya gotta do, just don't go crazy thinking this is the bottom and prices will only go up.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Back in '09 I bought my first case of xm193 for $420. Around '15 or '16 I was buying Wolf Gold .223 for $250-$270/ case.
    Due to the financial hardship of marrying off 2 daughters within 2 years I didn't buy much during the recent glut but I know folks here were talking " buy it cheap and stack it deep" for times just like this.
    When you're new to the game you gotta do what ya gotta do, just don't go crazy thinking this is the bottom and prices will only go up.

Ya I wish I hard started buying/building right when I turned 18 and not have waited 2.5 years to start. I also thought I had a decent stock pile going with a few hundred rounds for each firearm I have until some others started talking about their pallets

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The number of people who talk about "stacking it deep when it's cheap" vs the number who actually do it... are two very different numbers. I have a case or more of mil surp ammo in every single caliber I shoot in my emergency reserve, and it never gets touched[1]. My recreational and competitive shooting might take a hit (not yet, though!), but it's a nice peace of mind feeling to know that I've got what I need if things get too real in real-life.

[1] I did pull some slugs out for a match once. I don't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom