• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Hi All,
    A well known ammo vendor shared this on another website and I thought folks here would appreciate hearing his perspective on a question about ammo prices currently:
    "As far as ammo [prices] going up, with copper prices way down in recent months they should be building ammo for a good price right now and prices on brass case ammo should not be justified to increase at the manufacturing level. However, its the busy season this time of year, and its been the busiest we have ever seen it this month. A big increase in the number of large orders by speculators that ammo is as low as it will be for a while and they may or may not be right. Additionally a problem with having a lot of smaller dealers, IE gunshow, gun stores, home FFL, and dabblers buying up a large percentage of the available ammo speculating they will be able to make a lot of money on it closer to the election. This causes major problems for operations like us, where we specialize in "special purchases" of large lots of a single item that has been slow selling or overstocked for our supplier at a greatly reduced price so we can buy it cheap to sell it cheap. If our suppliers are selling ammo left and right they do not want to make deals to move the inventory, they just say stuff "its selling steady so why cut the price and be sold out when we can get our full price selling it case by case" Etc Etc. The bright side is that supplies look good on most popular calibers in some form or another and spring is just around the corner and may cause the typical slow down in the market that will be needed to have the leverage to strike better than average deals on a lot of different stuff, and I will be there to manipulate that situation as best I can. The flip side is that if things do not slow down in the spring and we are forced into accepting the wholesalers asking prices on all ammo, a lot of "special purchase deals" just will not happen, and we will have to raise prices on stock acquired at higher cost. "

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Simple supply and demand (unfortunately). If everyone will take a pill and realize that we aren't heading towards disarmament, marshall law, zombie attack, and whatever else hair brained ideas people seem to live in fear of, prices would be back to what they were 5 years ago.

I'm just glad 12ga target loads and .22 bulk is still somewhat reasonable.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I was just informed by my local gunshop, that smokeless powder, bullets, and primers will be jumping on price, and already has on some stuff. Also loaded ammo will be jumping on price.

Its not the stores policy on raising there price - but the distributors, that are charging more.

Not sure how true that is, but time will tell here shortly.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Simple supply and demand (unfortunately). If everyone will take a pill and realize that we aren't heading towards disarmament, marshall law, zombie attack, and whatever else hair brained ideas people seem to live in fear of, prices would be back to what they were 5 years ago.

First of all please don't call the impending zombie apocolypse a "hair brained idea..." when we all know it's coming - just watch TV - that's real!
    Secondly, I think bulk .22 is way more expensive then it should be. Remember prices just a few years back... oh, the good old days!

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    First of all please don't call the impending zombie apocolypse a "hair brained idea..." when we all know it's coming - just watch TV - that's real!
    Secondly, I think bulk .22 is way more expensive then it should be. Remember prices just a few years back... oh, the good old days!

It is completely hair-brained!!!! Everybody knows when it haapens it will be vampires and werewolves, come on people!!!!!

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I think that the price of fuel has way more impact on distributing ammo than copper prices have on making ammo.

With fuel going up even shipping will go up and add to ammo cost.

Just saw an article that the US fuel consumption is now below the 1980 levels despite having alsmot twice as many cars registered.

Fuel deliveries have dropped 47% since the last high around 2006, yet the fuel prices are going up. It is not a question of oil supply or Iran threatening or any of that nonsense, we are consuming billions of barrels of oil less a year, it is just speculators holding refined fuel back and driving furture prices up.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    The fuel price thing has merit. It's making everything cost more. However... most of it CAN be blamed on simple marketplace dynamics - supply & demand. The election has folks antsy - again. Who doesn't remember the reloading component shortages of three years ago?:sad20: There were all sorts of speculation on reasons then. Everything from the war effort to government intervention. A CCI official however confirmed the simple truth. Folks wanted those primers! He said their annual output had been right around $8M for years. That year - this was in April - he said they were already over $10M!!! Had added a shift and were cranking out primers 24/7 for the first time in their history and in the process of installing more equipment.

No, until proven otherwise I'll attribute it to election year jitters - again. Watch for .380 ammo to start getting scarce soon.:lol2:

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD

12ga target loads, I'll agree with you on.

.22 bulk though? I remember buying a brick (550rds) for $6.00 when I got my first gun in '04. Now a brick at the same walmart is $15. That's pretty nuts to me.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

.22 bulk though? I remember buying a brick (550rds) for $6.00 when I got my first gun in '04. Now a brick at the same walmart is $15. That's pretty nuts to me.

U better check ur walmart again or buy all they have at 15. In Harford Co. wally's jumped their price from $14.97 to 18.97 bout 6 months ago. 1 brand (can't remember which) is up to $19.97

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The huge increase in rimfire pricing could also simply be a result of manufacturers re-negotiating with Walmart. After all, you've got to admit that Wally World was offering rimfire ammo priced WAY below the online guys for a number of years.

But, don't worry: if Obama wins, you better believe the industry will fear-monger that event for all it's worth to drive up pricing.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD

That's exactly what I was referring to!

The huge increase in rimfire pricing could also simply be a result of manufacturers re-negotiating with Walmart. After all, you've got to admit that Wally World was offering rimfire ammo priced WAY below the online guys for a number of years.

But, don't worry: if Obama wins, you better believe the industry will fear-monger that event for all it's worth to drive up pricing.

That's a good point about the renegotiating. I totally agree with the fear mongering from ammo makers to drive up costs but I think honestly that all the conspiracy buffs on all the firearms forums will do it without any help from ammo manufacturers. I think this happens every time a democrat is up for his second term and we all cry "buy more guys before he bans them forever".
    Of course there was that AWB Clinton left us...

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I totally agree with the fear mongering from ammo makers to drive up costs but I think honestly that all the conspiracy buffs on all the firearms forums will do it without any help from ammo manufacturers. I think this happens every time a democrat is up for his second term and we all cry "buy more guys before he bans them forever".
    Of course there was that AWB Clinton left us...

They learned well from the oil/petroleum d0uches!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    With more and more people taking 2A more seriously no wonder it's been 20 straight months of a boom for the industry. Records have been broken, and broken again.

If it looks like Obama will be re-elected, expect another run on everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom