• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Udon

Dec 2, 2012
    Columbia
    I would like to try to shoot up to 200 Yard with the Savage Mark II. I would like to ask for Ammo Recommendation, maybe some High Velocity ammo or other type of ammo that might do the job well enough but cheap enough not break the bank since ammo price is rising.

So what brand, kind and the average price for those Ammo?

Thanks for your opinion and your time.

Cheers

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    .22 @ 200 yards?

Subsonic will be much more accurate but..... It is going to drop like a rock and you will need a lot of elevation. If you are using anything else the trans-sonic transition will effect accuracy.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ed Shell recommends Winchester Sub Sonic for budget concerned marksmanship ... Ed stretches it out to 300 with better subsonic, yeah there is a lot of drop, but it goes straight as long as there is no wind.

The problem with high velocity is where the bullet makes the transition from super sonic to sub sonic, its going to wobble for a few feet before it takes a new trajectory ... not 100% based on the barrel's guidance. Pretty sure the transition is usually less than 100 yards, I'm sure it can be looked up for some standard loads.

Thinking about hitting a ringer at 300 with subsonic ... you'd hear it hit something like 7 seconds after you shot ... If I recall the drop is around 9 feet at 300 yards for 40gr

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The point of the transition depends on the ammo but most are between 70-90 yards if i remember correctly. That's why a lot of borderline ammo keyholes at 100.

Udon

Dec 2, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks for everyone feedback. Now I learned something about subsonic ammo. When I got the chance to try it, will let all you know the result.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I guess I lucked out that I randomly bought a box of Eley subsonic hollowpoints for my suppressor. I think this is one of the best rounds? I also have a Savage Mark II and was thinking of getting into shooting at the 100 yard range.

What's the difference between Standard Velocity and Subsonic? Are they the same or does the subsonic transition occur much quicker using Standard Velocity?

How bad does this wobble affect accuracy - only for the first couple feet after transition or the rest of the distance traveled?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My custom Rem 597 shoots .5 MOA and under using CCI-SV ammo currently. Have not shot past 100 yards through but do have a 20 MOA offset rail just in case. I use it exclusively in free standing rimfire metallic silhouette shooting. Also have a Savage 93 in .22WMR.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I guess I lucked out that I randomly bought a box of Eley subsonic hollowpoints for my suppressor. I think this is one of the best rounds? I also have a Savage Mark II and was thinking of getting into shooting at the 100 yard range.

What's the difference between Standard Velocity and Subsonic? Are they the same or does the subsonic transition occur much quicker using Standard Velocity?

How bad does this wobble affect accuracy - only for the first couple feet after transition or the rest of the distance traveled?

Std is super-sonic from most rifle barrels and will suffer transition.

It affects the rest of the distance traveled - so the greater distance from transition, the more deviation in path. Some bullet/barrel combinations might even have the bullet tumbling instead of spinning after the transition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom