• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I know 30 and 50 cal cans work great but I'd rather not have them loose and banging around in the can, but after I reload other than some used ammo boxes I have laying around the house i have my 30 and 50 cans. Other than 30-06 which fits great in a 30 cal cal how do you store yours?

Ive been looking at repack boxes on amazon, they are like 50 cents a box and can only be purchased in 30 or 100 count. Nice thing here is they wont get beat up in the can and i can grab a few boxes for the range then refill them when I load again.

Let me know what idea I'm over looking.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    The only important rule is: store ammo where it is cool & dry. I keep mine in the basement, but elevated. Ammo cans are great, & I see no problem with loose ammo in the cans; you can get more inside each can.

I like the MTM plastic boxes for reloaded ammo, but it can get pricey if you try to keep all your ammo in them. I've never seen a problem with commercial US ammo stored in the original manufacturer's box.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The only important rule is: store ammo where it is cool & dry. I keep mine in the basement, but elevated. Ammo cans are great, & I see no problem with loose ammo in the cans; you can get more inside each can.

I like the MTM plastic boxes for reloaded ammo, but it can get pricey if you try to keep all your ammo in them. I've never seen a problem with commercial US ammo stored in the original manufacturer's box.
    I guess i should have notated Im curiois about stores 100's of rounds. I have tons of components but leave some not loaded for lack of storage. The boxes im thinking of are thin and mainly meant to make them stack neatly in the can and pull out for range trips. Not the ones with styrofoam or plastic inserts.

9a7b635a9509152f57f54ece0f8949c4.jpg

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

I don't think military ammunition magazines are climate controlled.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    I hate having loose ammo rattling around in a can so I store in the plastic blue containers (MCM?), and put those inside of an ammo can for easy transport.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Im thinking about max storage minus the rattling.

Ill keep looking for boxes. If anyone wants to split some let me know. I dont need 100 223 or 30 or the pistol boxes

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I use Ziplok bags to store ammo. I'll toss 100 or 250 rounds into a sandwich or quart size Ziplok bag, depending on the caliber. I'll stack the bags neatly in ammo cans, then put the cans on the shelf.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    When I go to FreeState for my weekly practice session, I normally take a peek in the waste bin. Since it is on a range where there is no food consumption, smoking, etc., the only garbage going into the waste bin is empty ammo boxes and used targets. If I see usable ammo boxes I grab a couple for the reloads. Although it is not as space efficient as filling an metal ammo can with loose rounds, the paper ammo boxes keep things more organized and I can grab ammo in multiples of 50 very easily when packing for a range trip.

Otherwise, as alluded to above, I would probably get a 100ct. of plain ammo boxes from somewhere like midway, etc.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...cp-380-acp-9mm-luger-50-round-cardboard-white

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I guess i should have notated Im curiois about stores 100's of rounds. I have tons of components but leave some not loaded for lack of storage. The boxes im thinking of are thin and mainly meant to make them stack neatly in the can and pull out for range trips. Not the ones with styrofoam or plastic inserts.

9a7b635a9509152f57f54ece0f8949c4.jpg

The picture shows boxes from here:

http://www.repackbox.com/WHY-AMMO-BOXES.asp

I have boxes from there and they are nice.

I used them for some match ammo for my M1A. 41.5 grains H4895, Sierra 168 Match King, Lake City LR primed cases.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I use Ziplok bags to store ammo. I'll toss 100 or 250 rounds into a sandwich or quart size Ziplok bag, depending on the caliber. I'll stack the bags neatly in ammo cans, then put the cans on the shelf.

I just use ziplock freezer bags. Works for me.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gallon size works well too. Toss in a pouch or two of desiccant and squeeze out any excess air. They conform and fill ammo cans pretty well, minimizing wasted space.

I find boxes cumbersome when it is time to use the ammo and they often don't fit in the ammo cans well.

What ever you decide to do, post some "after" pics to help others decide in the future.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    All my rifle rounds go on stripper clips and pistol rounds in MTM boxes or plastic trays from factory packaging then stacked in 50cal or 40mm ammo cans.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I also keep reloaded 223 on stripper clips, then in ziplock bags with dates and load info.
    That then goes into an ammo can. You can stack them nice and neat into the can when on stripper clips.
    Plus when loading the AR mag, its nice and quick.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I dont have any stripper clips currently just a lot if loose and some 50 and 30 cal cans awaiting contents.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    When I decided to begin reloading ( but before I had purchased the equipment) I saved the commercial boxes from the range and tossed them in a drawer. Now I reload a plastic ammo can full of ammo laid in loosely (or separated by caliber in Ziploc storage bags) and put whatever I plan to shoot for the day in the appropriate box.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Tons of horse shoe nail boxes.
    175 9mm rnds per box - almost 1600 into an ammo can. I made leather bags to hold ~ 300 rnds 9mm to take to range - easy to grab a handful. I'm trying to figure out magazine storage now, would prefer to make it.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpg
      IMG_3712.jpg
      105.3 KB · Views: 367

jmarsh778

Feb 26, 2010
    Davidsonville
    I invested in a case each of the MTM ammo boxes years ago to store 9mm, .45 and .38 handgun reloads. They are much easier than cardboard boxes, last longer, stack nicely and now fit into the Ammo Crates that MTM is selling. Another nice feature is the final quality check on the reloads when filing the trays as an upside-down or missing primer is hard to miss. For me it was worth the up front cost. I also have a couple of the boarder shift bags from Dillon that get the job done, but will not solve your issue of keeping the rounds from banging around together.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Has anyone ever tried using the food saver bags and vacuum packing ammo? A little extreme but it would be sealed with minimal air inside and wouldn't have a lot of empty space that would cause rattling.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Has anyone ever tried using the food saver bags and vacuum packing ammo? A little extreme but it would be sealed with minimal air inside and wouldn't have a lot of empty space that would cause rattling.

Actually, I was going to mention that since myself and a few of my buddies do that. Works great for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom