• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    This past Saturday fellow forum member Baumer posted a link to a company called InLine Fabrication in another thread. They make press accessories for some of the popular presses on the market. One of the products they make is an LED light kit that works with the LnL, 550B, and 650. Well, since I was sick of replacing batteries in the light I had been using I decided to try it out. And because I also have very limited space on my work bench, the size of the kit and the fact that it doesnt take up any extra space made it appealing. I ordered the LED kit on Monday, it was shipped Priority Mail on Tuesday, and arrived yesterday (Thursday). Here is a small review of the kit. Keep in mind that NO FLASH was used to take any of the photos below. All the light was from the LED kit and a floor lamp in the same room.

The Modular 2.0 LED Kit contained the following:
    1. Light strip with 6 LED's
    2. Power cable with in-line power switch
    3. Wire rounting anchors (2) with zip-ties
    4. Alcohol swab
    5. Directions/Business appreciation letter
    6. Business Card

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

Installation of the kit was simple. The LED light strip and the wire routing anchors come with self adhesive backings. After cleaning the mounting locations with the supplied alcohol swab it was just a matter of peeling and sticking. It would have been nice to have 1 additional wire routing anchor and zip-tie included in the kit but I was able to use the 2 supplied to route the wire out of harm's way. In no way does the LED strip or power cable get in the way of the press's operation.

Turning on the power switch brought a flood of light over the shellplate of my LnL. The 6 LED's do a great job at lighting up the press. I do use an RCBS LockOut die as a mechanical powder check but I strongly believe that you still must visually confirm the powder with your own eye. The LED's made visual confirmation quick and easy. Here are a few photos of the installed kit.

Loader's View:
    IMAG0356.jpg

Room lights out (Only light is coming from the LED kit):
    IMAG0357.jpg

Illuminated LED Strip:
    IMAG0358.jpg

Shellplate with empty case:
    IMAG0359.jpg

After installing the kit I tested it out by loading a batch of 9mm. Everything stayed put and the extra light really did make visually confirming the powder charge quick and easy. I noticed that it actually cut down on the amount of time it usually takes me to load.

So there's my quick review of the kit. Let me know if you have any questions about it. If youre wondering if I like it, the answer is YES. I think it does a great job at doing exactly what it is designed to do.

IMAG0360.jpg

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    I've seen those light advertised and wondered how they would really work out, its nice to see a real review w/pictures! Thanks.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't know what that kit costs, but, I can tell you right now it costs waaaaaaay too much.

All you have there is an LED aquarium light. Buy it in any color you want for $3.99 HERE

I have purchased several of these in Blue and White...

$%28KGrHqF,!p8E9lqGSW5LBPjNRJ5KLw~~60_1.JPG

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Bored ? Make your own for a few bucks. Instructions Here

I have buckets of White LEDs here. I use them in my shop for lighting on CB Radio signal meters to replace the dull yellowish traditional 12 volt Wheat lamps.

On this page it shows using a AA battery pack. Just replace the battery pack with any low Mah AC supply that provides 12 Volts. It ain't rocket science.

You can make the light strip any length you wish and be sure to use Super Bright Water-Clear 12v LEDs ( it does matter ) Also, the Dremel process in this instructable is NOT required.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I don't know what that kit costs, but, I can tell you right now it costs waaaaaaay too much.

All you have there is an LED aquarium light. Buy it in any color you want for $3.99 HERE

I have purchased several of these in Blue and White...

$%28KGrHqF,!p8E9lqGSW5LBPjNRJ5KLw~~60_1.JPG

Getting off topic, but any idea if led work as a light source for a chronograph?

I want to use a chrono indoors but the range only has fluorescent lights which mess up the chrono.

2 or those les strips would be perfect across the sky screens.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    lights

Flipz,
    Enlightening indeed- I learned something useful. Thanks
    vafish,
    I think that infrared screens are whats recommended indoors with fluorescents, but this is cheap enough that you could experiment. The shipping was free for the 5 sets that I just ordered.
    SOMDSHOOT,
    Thanks- I am in the process of rearranging my loading set up and and ordered some of these for my bench.
    DocAitch

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Getting off topic, but any idea if led work as a light source for a chronograph?

I want to use a chrono indoors but the range only has fluorescent lights which mess up the chrono.

2 or those les strips would be perfect across the sky screens.

I'm not familiar with the technicals of a chronograph, but, if bright light is an issue, then you certainly do not want a strip of LEDs. However. I have built several 2, 3, and 4 LED strips for customers and it is doable to whatever brightness you wish.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Flipz,
    Enlightening indeed- I learned something useful. Thanks
    vafish,
    I think that infrared screens are whats recommended indoors with fluorescents, but this is cheap enough that you could experiment. The shipping was free for the 5 sets that I just ordered.
    SOMDSHOOT,
    Thanks- I am in the process of rearranging my loading set up and and ordered some of these for my bench.

DocAitch

No problem at all. When it comes to electronics, and electronics gadgets, I am a life long savvy guy in that realm. I simply hate to see folks pay way more for something than something is worth. The OP's "product" is simply a cheap Chinese item that can be bought anywhere else for 10 times less when you know where to not buy it for way too much. I don't mind the product review, but, I had to step in and put up my dukes against the price of such a cheap item. $29.50 is hardly a deal... even with shipping included.

Attachments

• led light reloading.jpg
      led light reloading.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 352

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    No problem at all. When it comes to electronics, and electronics gadgets, I am a life long savvy guy in that realm. I simply hate to see folks pay way more for something than something is worth. The OP's "product" is simply a cheap Chinese item that can be bought anywhere else for 10 times less when you know where to not buy it for way too much. I don't mind the product review, but, I had to step in and put up my dukes against the price of such a cheap item. $29.50 is hardly a deal... even with shipping included.

I appreciate the info you've shared, I really do. But out of courtesy, please don't turn this thread into a How To or DIY about press lights. Id be happy to contribute in another thread if you'd like to start one. This thread was simply a review of a "product" I had purchased. It was a spur of the moment purchase and you're right that I should have looked around more before buying it. But, its actually made well and does exactly what I paid for it to do. Do I care if I overpaid on this small of a purchase? No. The amount I spent on batteries for the old light I used was ridiculous. Not having the need for batteries, plus the long life of LED's, that's what I paid for.

1in9twist

Nov 18, 2012

Holy price gouging Batman! Errrr......wait...:innocent0

A little birdie told me I should have a look in here.

This is Dan, owner of Inline Fabrication. Please allow me to shed a little light. Can this same function be created cheaper by the press owner? Sure it can.

But there are some costs that come into play in the legitimate business world. For instance, R&D costs, Quality components, packaging, production equipment, production costs, production facility, advertizing costs, business licenses, taxes, product liability insurance, etc,etc and unfortunately, etc. ;)

And then on top of that, our lifetime "No Worries" warranty and our awesome customer service. We haven't even touched on US Patents or Trademark costs yet. :tdown:

To be clear, I am not trying to deny that one could get the desired effect cheaper, just shedding some light on why pricing is where it is at.

Respectfully
    Dan
    Inline Fabrication

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

This is Dan, owner of Inline Fabrication. Please allow me to shed a little light. Can this same function be created cheaper by the press owner? Sure it can.

But there are some costs that come into play in the legitimate business world. For instance, R&D costs, Quality components, packaging, production equipment, production costs, production facility, advertizing costs, business licenses, taxes, product liability insurance, etc,etc and unfortunately, etc. ;)

And then on top of that, our lifetime "No Worries" warranty and our awesome customer service. We haven't even touched on US Patents or Trademark costs yet. :tdown:

To be clear, I am not trying to deny that one could get the desired effect cheaper, just shedding some light on why pricing is where it is at.

Respectfully
    Dan
    Inline Fabrication

Welcome! :)

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I'm not familiar with the technicals of a chronograph, but, if bright light is an issue, then you certainly do not want a strip of LEDs. However. I have built several 2, 3, and 4 LED strips for customers and it is doable to whatever brightness you wish.
    The issue with fluorescent lights and chronographs is that fluorescent lights flicker at 60 Hz with the ac power. The chrono sees the flickers as a shadow of the bullet crossing the detector.

So I guess the question is do led lights flicker or are they constant like a incandescent bulb?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Respectfully
    Dan
    Inline Fabrication

I love how this is usually forgotten when people claim "rip off".

Welcome and continued success.

1in9twist

Nov 18, 2012
    So I guess the question is do led lights flicker or are they constant like a incandescent bulb?

They stay on full power and do not flicker or "Strobe" that is detectable by your eye.

That being said, during our R+D, we did experience what you are referring to by using a certain version of the 110 to 12v adapter.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I appreciate the info you've shared, I really do. But out of courtesy, please don't turn this thread into a How To or DIY about press lights. Id be happy to contribute in another thread if you'd like to start one. This thread was simply a review of a "product" I had purchased. It was a spur of the moment purchase and you're right that I should have looked around more before buying it. But, its actually made well and does exactly what I paid for it to do. Do I care if I overpaid on this small of a purchase? No. The amount I spent on batteries for the old light I used was ridiculous. Not having the need for batteries, plus the long life of LED's, that's what I paid for.

Not trying to over take your "review" thread. Just making sure the information is put out so that guys don't get taken advantage of when purchasing over-priced "product specific accessories". Too many guys get taken for a ride on things and if I have something to offer that is a cheaper alternative, then I will step in with useful information. Your "review is appreciated and we'll also have to assume you were expecting this to be a continued thread subject to opinions and experience. Just helping to prevent price gouging. There's too much of that in this world now.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The issue with fluorescent lights and chronographs is that fluorescent lights flicker at 60 Hz with the ac power. The chrono sees the flickers as a shadow of the bullet crossing the detector.

LEDs are a constant light. They are actually Diodes (Light Emitting Diode) They do not flicker due to the constance of power flow.

I am quite familiar with the 60Hz issue. I've been in electronics repair my entire life. I didn't know a chrono would notice that. Thanks for the info. I learned something new today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom