• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    The Remington Model 51 in .380ACP.

This particular gun was a gift. It was given to me when I was 20-ish by an old family friend of my high-school sweetheart. The original owner, who bought the gun in 1919, was moving out of his house and into my sweetie's Godmother's house a few miles away. I helped him inventory and pack his things, which was no small task. One day he said, "Anne tells me you like guns. Follow me." We went upstairs and into what was his "study." He pointed at a wooden chest and said, "Drag the over here and open it up." He pulled a bunch of old things out until he found what he was looking for: A small black cardboard box. He handed it to me and said, " I want you to have this as a small token of my appreciation for helping me."

I still have this gun and still cherish it. A few years back, American Rifleman had the 51 featured on its back page. I couldn't help but "posing" mine with the magazine for comparison. When I have some time tomorrow, I might dig her out of the safe and take some more pictures. These guns are unique and not seen as often as many older "pocket guns." Remington made 65000 of these John Pedersen designed pistols and they were available in both .32ACP and .380. Manufacture ceased in 1927.

IMG_6234-copy.jpg

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    Thats a great gun and a gereat story.. Have you fired it??

Yes, I've fired it. When my son and I go to the range, I'll sometimes drop it in the range bag and run a few mags through it - never had a jam It's a fun, reliable little gun to shoot, but the sights are anemic, at best. I mean really teeny-tiny. I can usually shoot "minute-of-serving-platter" at 20-yds with it, but that's about all. Trigger pull is stiff, but acceptable. My Old Man used to refer to it as "a top-shelf belly gun..."

As soon as I finish prepping the trim in my living room for paint, I'll dig it out and shoot some more pics.

Ed

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Yes, I've fired it. When my son and I go to the range, I'll sometimes drop it in the range bag and run a few mags through it - never had a jam It's a fun, reliable little gun to shoot, but the sights are anemic, at best. I mean really teeny-tiny. I can usually shoot "minute-of-serving-platter" at 20-yds with it, but that's about all. Trigger pull is stiff, but acceptable. My Old Man used to refer to it as "a top-shelf belly gun..."

As soon as I finish prepping the trim in my living room for paint, I'll dig it out and shoot some more pics.

Ed

Very cool..:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Lots of people wouldnt shoot it. I would too!...Good for you!

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    What a beautiful pistol!
    Its great to see old pistols like this in such amazing condition.

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    Very cool..:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Lots of people wouldnt shoot it. I would too!...Good for you!

Yup. There's really no reason not to shoot it. It's what it was made to do. Factory ammo is relatively mild, and the gun isn't exactly a NIB minty-mint never-been-fired museum quality example. :D

I only have one gun that I don't shoot. The only reason I don't shoot it is because I'm scared to death that the stock will crack due to being stored in a very, very dry environment for many years before I got it. If the stock gets ruined on that particular piece, the gun is a total loss.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Damn, that is a beauty you got there ...

I wish that my grandfather didnt give back the garland that he had during WWII.
    But again, we couldnt predict the future :)

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    Just shot a couple of pics, but I'm too tired to play with the white balance, lighting, etc. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to get some good "disassembly" shots.

_MG_7585%20copy.jpg

_MG_7584%20copy.jpg

Maybe I'll try to keep the fingerprints and old dust to a minimum, too... :innocent0

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I'm confused... why does the chamber and caliber marking stay in the same orientation when the gun is flipped upside down in the last picture? What's visible through the ejection port stays the same even though the gun itself is turned 180 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom