• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    This came in my inbox this morning and I didn't see it elsewhere:

Last week, I proposed a new and aggressive piece of firearms-related legislation. It creates an annual mental health fee on all registered firearms (hunting rifles and law enforcement weapons exempted). The revenues are dedicated to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to fully fund mental health interventions; and the policy will also help fund targeted law enforcement efforts to reduce gun violence and illegal handgun ownership. Right now, it is easier to access guns than mental health treatment. That is unacceptable.

This bill goes to the heart of the NRA’s and other gun proponents’ arguments that gun violence is not caused by guns but rather by putting guns in the hands of the wrong people. In fact, the NRA specifically stated that their goal is not to limit access to guns, but rather to fully fund mental health programs. This policy achieves both of the NRA’s goals. If gun proponents mean what they say, I challenge them to stand up and support this legislation!

Now he wants to tax a right?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    One of the things that always gets me is how they talk about, "we require licensing to drive a car, so therefore it makes sense to license people to use a gun."

Of course for folks like us, we see through this smokescreen immediately - driving a car is a privilege - keeping and bearing arms is a RIGHT.

Our elected officials need to be reminded of this in a very public way.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    I sent him this in response after I got his newsletter this morning:

Dear Delegate Jon S. Cardin,

I had to respond to the outrageous comments you made in your "Annapolis Report" email this morning. It is clear to me that your constituents are tired of attacks on their Second Amendment rights. The Second Amendment has been gnawed away piece by piece for decades. Enough is enough. Clearly the email and telephone response that you have received from citizens that are against more gun control is telling. What is more telling are the extremely large number of Maryland residents that are also speaking with their wallets against gun control. The panic induced by people such as yourself in the name of "common sense" has led to a historic run on firearms and ammunition. There have been so many sales of firearms that the Maryland State Police cannot keep up with demand for background checks and are running weeks behind. Clearly, "common sense" would tell you that the vast majority of your constituents do not want more gun control. "Common sense" would tell you that your idea that there is a "silent majority" that wants more "senseless" laws that will do nothing to prevent crime is not valid. You need to listen to what your constituents are telling you instead of standing on your emotional moral soapbox.

Your scheme to fund mental health services by taxing the use of a Constitutional Right is appalling. The idea is a loser, right up there with poll taxes. There are other ways to raise revenues for mental health services that are not unconstitutional. Mental health is an extremely important issue that is more wide-spread than just associating it with firearms. Mental health services MUST be better funded, but not at the expense of a Constitutional Right.

That brings me to my final questions to you: Why have you not submitted legislation that will directly protect children in every school? Why are have you not tried to place an armed police officer in the places where our children are most vulnerable? "Common sense" would dictate that the opportunity to directly confront and deter an armed attacker is better than no opportunity at all. Please actually DO something that will actually PROTECT our children.

Sincerely,

Soda

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    How much will the tax on free speech be? If I don't pay my "illegal search and seizure" tax, will the police be able to search my home without a warrant? What other Amendments does Mr. Cardin plan to wipe his backside with?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    How much will the tax on free speech be? If I don't pay my "illegal search and seizure" tax, will the police be able to search my home without a warrant? What other Amendments does Mr. Cardin plan to wipe his backside with?

Taxes ? These aren't taxes, they're indulgences. Ya' gotta pay to play.

These guys are bush league.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wonder how a voter referendum on this and similar legislation would pan out??

Referendum my ass. A facial challenge on a tax on a fundamental Right is what is needed. Who cares what the People of MD think on this issues. The Constitution was written so certain Rights could not be tampered with. Recall we are NOT a democracy.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    One of the things that always gets me is how they talk about, "we require licensing to drive a car, so therefore it makes sense to license people to use a gun."

Of course for folks like us, we see through this smokescreen immediately - driving a car is a privilege - keeping and bearing arms is a RIGHT.

Our elected officials need to be reminded of this in a very public way.

I explain to them that on top of the fact that gun ownership is a right, you don't need the license to own the car or drive on private property. The driver's license is only to drive on public roads, just like how you need a concealed carry license to carry a handgun in public (even that is constitutionally debatable).

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I got that same email. Interesting enough the next paragraph talks about how he has received thousands of emails from pro gun advocates but only 20 from the "silent majority ". I say we have to continue to inundate them all!!!

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Referendum my ass. A facial challenge on a tax on a fundamental Right is what is needed. Who cares what the People of MD think on this issues. The Constitution was written so certain Rights could not be tampered with. Recall we are NOT a democracy.

:clap:

PS: I put my $.50 in the "Free Speech" Jar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom