• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -So many times I run across a nice accessory at a great price and can't say no. In this latest case it was a lot of holsters that included a very clean Japanese holster for an import like a FN, Mauser or Colt. Snagged it for a great price and then put it into storage to wait for the right pistol.
    -A year later I'm surprised to see a Japanese arsenal modified FN 1910, identical to the one I found years ago. Very uncommon, enough that Tony Vanderlinden asked to use a photo of it for his latest edition of his seminal FN pistol book. Over time I've only seen three in all, including mine. So when another pops up in a Southwest auction I'm all in. Condition was a bit rough, it sported a zinc parkerized refinish. Initially I thought it might be post war but not so sure after it arrived yesterday and I had a chance to examine it in person. That finish is very old and might be arsenal performed. One thing's for sure, all of these Japanese examples I've seen have all had rough lives, none are safe queens.
    -Was able to grab it on the cheap as I'm sure the rough finish turned most away and I'm OK with that. Actually looks better in person than it did in the catalog photos.
    -The FN fits the holster perfectly so mission accomplished to find the right pistol.

Attachments

• IMGP0275.JPG
      IMGP0275.JPG
      454 KB · Views: 34
    • IMGP0276.JPG
      IMGP0276.JPG
      445.1 KB · Views: 33
    • IMGP0277.JPG
      IMGP0277.JPG
      283.5 KB · Views: 42
    • IMGP0278.JPG
      IMGP0278.JPG
      366.1 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0279.JPG
      IMGP0279.JPG
      346.4 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0280.JPG
      IMGP0280.JPG
      444.9 KB · Views: 40

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Awesome pistol! The finish doesn’t look too bad! I can’t imagine bubba would park something like that, I’d imagine an older bubba would nickel plate it or high polish blue it.

Jul 1, 2012
    Do you think the rough surface is from sandblasting or from surface rust at one point?
    Even with that it does look very presentable, and I can think of at least one seller that would call it minty sharp LOL.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Per my review the rough surface is from age; I have a few other's that look about the same.
    What gets me are the markings on the left side above the trigger. Those markings don't look like Japanese to me, and IDK WTF they are.

IIRC the Japanese did take over the Dutch Pacific colonies, and they did rely on natives to a degree.

In any event, nice piece.

Jul 1, 2012
    What gets me are the markings on the left side above the trigger. Those markings don't look like Japanese to me, and IDK WTF they are.
    Those are the Belgian inspection/firing proof marks. Same will be on the top of the barrel chamber.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Those are the Belgian inspection/firing proof marks. Same will be on the top of the barrel chamber.
    :confused:
    I don't believe those are proof marks on the left side of the receiver.
    The barrel chamber is in Western speak.

On the left side of the pistol, to the rear of the take down pin that appears to be a graphic of the motions for disassembly, IMO.
    To the left of the take down pin; IDK wtf that is. Nor the markings on the slide right over the take down pin but below the factory stampings. I can't make those out.

Jul 1, 2012
    The pin in the frame on this is the trigger pin.
    The G with a * over it (to the rear) is the inspectors ID for Josef Charlier.
    The funky mark to the left is a Rampant Lion over PV, firing proof.
    The same marks should be repeated on the slide and frame (and barrel).
    It's hard to tell but the slide may have an */N on it.
    Here's the same mark on a FN 1922, which is an FN 1910 on steroids.
    DSC_8758.JPG

DSC_8756.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    :confused:
    I don't believe those are proof marks on the left side of the receiver.
    The barrel chamber is in Western speak.

On the left side of the pistol, to the rear of the take down pin that appears to be a graphic of the motions for disassembly, IMO.
    To the left of the take down pin; IDK wtf that is. Nor the markings on the slide right over the take down pin but below the factory stampings. I can't make those out.
    Pulled the slide at somd_mustang's advice and indeed the slide and frame don't match, but have SNs in the same range. These were purchased by the Japanese in the pre-war period and then at some later point during the war they had that unique lanyard ring installed. Definitely Japanese. Strongly suspect the refinish was done at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom