• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I'm not talking about situations where someone commits a crime, or tries to claim something is self defense that isn't.

We could be talking about little things. As I understand it if your permit expires, maybe you cross a state line without realizing, loose your wallet and don't have your permit on you etc. In these cases you're carrying illegally and uscca doesn't have to cover you at all. Will they? Maybe. If I'm reading this right AFR would. What if you miss the threat and damage property or injure someone. Most people I've seen can't shoot well at all so that's not crazy. I'd assume if you're charged with a crime for that you're not covered. But, again AFT claims they cover you if charged with a unintentional crime while defending yourself. They claim to not be backed my a insurance company where as clearly USCCA is backed by a insurance company and these decisions are out of their hands.

Trying to figure out if there is truth to that stuff I guess.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I guess another way to look at it, and I haven't found this data. How often do people use their firearm to defend themselves and make some kind of mistake in the process that leads to a conviction whether for murder and ruled not self defense or some smaller lesser charge when it was ruled self defense? Do people in this situation really plead down 95% of the time, or is that statistic miss leading and really apply to crimes as a whole and not self defense cases? Haven't figured that out either.

I imagine that happens but, how often is something like that the case. Unfortunately we can't see the results of what happens to USCCA members going to court as that's all confidential between and held by the insurance company so USCCA doesn't even know.

It would be interesting to know just numbers, how many members have been charged how many did USCCA support, conviction rate anything.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This video is about a 2A advertising ban in Flagstaff AZ, but the part I want y'all to see is the advertisement. The video should start there, but if not it is about 1:45 into the video.

There are several posts/threads about stupid "youtubers" pranking crimes with a few of them being shot by their "victims." Which one isn't mentioned in the ad, but the shooter called his carry insurance company and was denied coverage, no lawyer provided. As Liberty Doll points out, this seems to go against the whole "presumed innocent until proven guilty" bit of our inconvenient COTUS. Insult to injury, the persecution...oh I mean prosecution tried to use that as evidence against the shooter.

The ad is for a law firm that supposedly won't play games like the carry insurance outfits. Just throwing it out there and no idea of they are licensed or whatever in Maryland.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This video is about a 2A advertising ban in Flagstaff AZ, but the part I want y'all to see is the advertisement. The video should start there, but if not it is about 1:45 into the video.

There are several posts/threads about stupid "youtubers" pranking crimes with a few of them being shot by their "victims." Which one isn't mentioned in the ad, but the shooter called his carry insurance company and was denied coverage, no lawyer provided. As Liberty Doll points out, this seems to go against the whole "presumed innocent until proven guilty" bit of our inconvenient COTUS. Insult to injury, the persecution...oh I mean prosecution tried to use that as evidence against the shooter.

The ad is for a law firm that supposedly won't play games like the carry insurance outfits. Just throwing it out there and no idea of they are licensed or whatever in Maryland.

Attorneys on Retainer seems like a good addition to have along with whatever "insurance" you have. 100 dollar set up fee and then 35 smackers a month.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I was just searching for this after watching this video. One I am still wondering how he can be found justified in the self defense shooting but still be in jail for firing a gun in a mall (unless VA has a gun free zone for malls). I think I am going to switch to ATR. I can put my son and I on a family plan for not much more than I am currently paying.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not sure I see the point if anything like USCCA. They'll drop you before the trial even starts. IF they don't and you still get jammed up with something/anything, they'll demand their money back (by law -I get that). What is the point? Seems financially just as risky to GIVE them money as it is to carry. Oh oh...you get some box of goodies when you sign up.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I'm not sure I see the point if anything like USCCA. They'll drop you before the trial even starts. IF they don't and you still get jammed up with something/anything, they'll demand their money back (by law -I get that). What is the point? Seems financially just as risky to GIVE them money as it is to carry. Oh oh...you get some box of goodies when you sign up.

How do you feel about CCW Safe though?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    How do you feel about CCW Safe though?
    If it is "insurance based" then probably the same.

Like the guy in the video says - what matters is what is in the contract, not sales BS from a salesman. If it doesn't say they WILL provide legal defense until/unless conviction, giving them money is quite a gamble even if you have and "airtight" case of self-defense. If they drop you before the trial even starts, why did you pay them? If you are convicted, ouch on the repayment bill on top of everything else.

I just don't see the point compared to having an actual law firm on stand-by where even if you are convicted you got the service you paid to have (legal defense).

If there is something I'm missing, I look forward to anyone shoving my face in it. ;)

MAYBE having both - use the lawyer-based service for criminal trial and insurance for civil...but again unless you come out of the criminal trial squeaky clean, they'll probably deny civil coverage.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I believe CCW Safe is a membership group, not an insurance company.
    Here's what CCW Safe says in the FAQ's: https://ccwsafe.com/faq/

Trials​

What happens to my coverage if I am found guilty in a criminal trial?
    Regardless of the outcome of your criminal trial, CCW Safe covers 100% of that trial, as well as appeals and retrials.

Do you cover appeals?
    Yes. All CCW Safe plans cover appeals, retrial after appeals, and retrial following mistrials.

Am I still covered if I am found guilty in a criminal trial?
    Yes. CCW Safe does not require you to have a “Not Guilty” verdict to pay for your defense. We pay for all fees associated with the criminal defense (even pre-trial and during Grand Jury proceedings) without any financial requirements by our members.

If your criminal case results in a guilty verdict or you have to plea to a lessor, we will continue to assist you in the appeals process, if applicable, and pay for the preparation and defense of your civil trial.

Also from the FAQ's:

Why do I need civil liability coverage?

While CCW Safe covers 100% of civil trial defense costs, if you lose a civil lawsuit and a jury awards damages, you are responsible (liable) for those damages unless you have the Civil liability add-on. The civil liability add-on will pay up to $2 million dollars of a civil damage award, depending on plan purchased.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Here's what CCW Safe says in the FAQ's: https://ccwsafe.com/faq/

Trials​

What happens to my coverage if I am found guilty in a criminal trial?
    Regardless of the outcome of your criminal trial, CCW Safe covers 100% of that trial, as well as appeals and retrials.

Do you cover appeals?
    Yes. All CCW Safe plans cover appeals, retrial after appeals, and retrial following mistrials.

Am I still covered if I am found guilty in a criminal trial?
    Yes. CCW Safe does not require you to have a “Not Guilty” verdict to pay for your defense. We pay for all fees associated with the criminal defense (even pre-trial and during Grand Jury proceedings) without any financial requirements by our members.

If your criminal case results in a guilty verdict or you have to plea to a lessor, we will continue to assist you in the appeals process, if applicable, and pay for the preparation and defense of your civil trial.

Also from the FAQ's:

Why do I need civil liability coverage?

While CCW Safe covers 100% of civil trial defense costs, if you lose a civil lawsuit and a jury awards damages, you are responsible (liable) for those damages unless you have the Civil liability add-on. The civil liability add-on will pay up to $2 million dollars of a civil damage award, depending on plan purchased.
    Crap. Now I'm back to having to make a choice. :D

Thanks for that. I was going to check them, but I didn't have one of these at the time:

R-3.jpg

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    A little update on the USCCA/Colie situation. A fellow from USCCA says Colie was NOT dropped and that USCCA would be involved in his appeals. The guy from USCCA didn't go into any real detail beyond that and didn't give a reason for them not being involved with the criminal trial.

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    A little update on the USCCA/Colie situation. A fellow from USCCA says Colie was NOT dropped and that USCCA would be involved in his appeals. The guy from USCCA didn't go into any real detail beyond that and didn't give a reason for them not being involved with the criminal trial.

Sounds to me like they were feeling the heat and are trying to save their skins.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I dropped USCCA in favor of AOR. I need peace of mind not slick glossy magazines, especially in a state like Md.
    One issue with AOR is this:

Do the AOR self-protection plans include civil or compensatory damages?​

NO. We are a law firm, and “compensatory damages” is for liability insurance.

VS

USCCA: https://www.deltadefense.com/us-concealed-carry-association-insurance-education-training
    Annual Aggregate Liability Limit for Compensatory Damages: $2,000,000

CCW Safe: https://ccwsafe.com/plans/
    Liability coverage depends on Plan/User Selected Options: Ranges from $0 to $2,000,000.

DealeBill

Nov 22, 2021
    Herein lies the problem with well advertised insurance products (Note I didn't say legal protection). You are buying a product that allows the decision to be made by some insurance company hack who knows nothing other than protecting company assets to the maximum extent possible and following the letter of the contract. There are products out there that have actual lawyers make the decision but you need to do your homework.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah again, Colie was not dropped, he just decided to go with the public defender because he liked him. They won. Now uscca is covering his appeal attorney for some smaller ancillary charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom