• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Had no intention of buying anything but went into the gun store on Rosemont Ave. in Frederick and he had an almost empty crate with only three Tulas left. Had to bring this one home, should be quite accurate, not sure why everyone else who went through the crate passed on it.

Attachments

• resized_100_2253.JPG
      resized_100_2253.JPG
      57.5 KB · Views: 276
    • resized_100_2260.JPG
      resized_100_2260.JPG
      66.1 KB · Views: 278

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    M44 was $245 or something like that, think the T-53 was around $160 but not sure. As far as this rifle, very odd sniper marked but never drilled and no letter prefix.

Last edited:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Don't ever remember seeing on sniper marked but not drilled and tapped. Interesting!

I'm wondering if the barrel didn't meet QC for a sniper, so not D&T'd for scope.

OR

Perhaps scopes and/or mounts weren't available for a very brief period when that gun was built, so issued as standard infantry fare.

These are just speculations.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Very Interesting! The "1840"...I'm seeing wrong or that's crazy! And the "F" on the rcvr? Could be re-chambered for "newer" bullet? I'm not up on all the re-chambering except for the Finn "D".

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Had the rifle not met accuracy specs it would never have been marked with the "CP" sniper proof, but there could have been an optics shortage.

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    original 1940 dated receiver too? I suspect the receiver was swapped at some point during the refurb.

Did the Russians re-barrel their WWII rifles when refurbed ?

I just have never seen one.
    They couterbored some and cut them down to make the 91/59 rifles but never saw a WWII era 91/30 dated rifle with an older receiver.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    They have like three more crates in the back. Every time I go I. There they tell us how many more crates they just got

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The only Mosins that were rebarreled typically were the wartime ones to save production time and the early 1920s when there was a metal quality issue.

Sirex