• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rchapman27

Feb 28, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Thinking of taking my son to the Elk Neck Range next weekend (Sunday). First time out there. Does anyone have an experience or advice for the range. Does it get crowded? Are there enough stations?... etc. Any information is appreciated.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Elk Neck is a hell of a deal. $10 for a day pass. However, it is far from perfect. I've shot there quite a few times over the last few years.

The pros
    1. Cheap
    2. 100 yard rifle range, 50 yard handgun range, and a platform from which to shoot trap means you can go there and shoot just about anything you want.
    3. Covered shooting line. Best days I've had there have been when it is raining. You stay high and dry while most people stay home because of the weather.
    4. Good number of rifle racks. I did have a relative who had some equipment disappear while he was shooting there one day (the racks are behind you) so don't just sit your bags and guns down and walk away.

The cons
    1. Crowded on weekends. Get there early or prepare to wait in line for a bench
    2. I've never seen an RSO on duty and have seen people do some terrifying things with firearms there before. The guy who racked the 870 while pointing it down the benches comes to mind. The woman waving around the beat-to-hell Garand rifle also comes to mind.
    3. Individual shooters must call for a Cease Fire when they want to change targets. Sometimes folks just won't stop shooting and listen.
    4. You have to provide 100% of shooting equipment (targets, stands, etc) and can only shoot at paper targets 4' off the ground. No steel spinners for 22s or anything else like that, only paper.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Only been once on a cold rainy day this past winter and it was packed. Lugging stands and gear is a pain, but for $10, its not bad. Had no problems calling for a cold range to change targets. Think I got some looks bc I didnt open my breech even though the safety was on.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    I've seen RSO's there occasionally, but only during the busy summer months on the weekends. Usually as said, its a self policed range and does occasionally lead to some interestingly terrifying moments. All in all not a bad range, I always try to go up there on friday if im off or when the weather is bad lol.

EMS Burnout

Oct 10, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I've been going there on and off for about 15 years. My last trip was 5 weeks ago. You can only shoot paper targets. Years ago everyone would bring clays and set them up in the dirt back stop and fire away. Not anymore, too much of a mess. Bring your own target stand. Most people make the out of wood and or PVC. Just make sure that you have some sand bags or weights to hold down the stand. It can get windy and you don't want it blowing over. RSOs are hit or miss but usually on weekends. Most are nice to talk to and deal with. Never had a bad experience with a RSO or shooter. Most people are pretty talkative and helpful. Go onto the DNR website for more info. Just remember it is a bare bones outside range.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    The RSOs are volunteers and are structured to be there on weekends only, if there were more volunteers then they would be there weekdays also.

If you are lugging all your stuff down to the range you are doing it all wrong, you can drive down and unload everything at the benches then go park in the parking area.

Rules state that cease fires be called every half hour, it's right there in black/white, any problem call DNR.

Yes, it is a great deal especially the yearly pass but remember that it is a State Park Range and everyone regardless of skill level is able to shoot there.

Bring your own target stands since none are provided, center of target must be 4' off the ground, your own targets since none are provided and your own ammo since none is sold there and especially bring your own common sense since none is shared.

saltyphotog

Feb 19, 2012
    Target stand has to be 4 ft tall at the center of target. Pick up your brass and shotgun shells, don't just toss them over the deck rail. No rapid fire. Stop at the building when you turn in the driveway to pay and get your range permit. Not being a rule nerd, these are just the things I see people doing wrong most times I've been there. Great range! :party29:

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Ok for A Public Range

Been going there for over 20 years. If it rained the day before or the day you are there wear light boots on the pistol side. Lots of mud. They also have a modern pit toilet if you hold your breath! Don't expect to see an RSO often, unless you go on weekends. DNR will check for your permit though. Expect to get muzzle swept at least once on your visit, a common practice. Disability parking very close to the range is a great thing to use if you need it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you like people handling and loading firearms while you're down range, then you'll love Elk Neck.

Be prepared to tell them not to do it and then be prepared for attitude that comes after you tell them not to do it.

The best time to go is in the fall when people roll pumpkins down range and then go all mag dump on them.

To save money, get the annual pass for 50 bucks. Way better than 10 bucks a day and then going 10 times a year.

PS: It's actually a very nice range and the above does not happen when a range officer is there.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Only been once on a cold rainy day this past winter and it was packed. Lugging stands and gear is a pain, but for $10, its not bad. Had no problems calling for a cold range to change targets. Think I got some looks bc I didnt open my breech even though the safety was on.

Well deserved cold looks.:sad20: Try that at a well run range and see how it goes over.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

My range uses emty chamber flags.....you were completely in the wrong sir. Safeties do fail.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    RSO's are there on weekends and DO NOT allow handling of firearms while people are down range.

As a volunteer ENSF RSO, I find a lot of folks need to be reminded of this safety rule. I know I had to explain the concept of not handling firearms during a cease fire several times yesterday (05/03/14). This means uncasing and casing a firearm.

At my home range, we use ECI/chamber flags during cease fires. I carry some with me when volunteering at ENSF in case folks want to use them.

Dar

Feb 2, 2014
    I was there for the first time a few weekends back. I do not plan on going back. There were a lot of people who did not follow the posted rules which created unsafe conditions. my advise is to stay away.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    I was there for the first time a few weekends back. I do not plan on going back. There were a lot of people who did not follow the posted rules which created unsafe conditions. my advise is to stay away.

Did you notify anyone about this or point it out to the patron(s) who were being unsafe. Safety is EVERYONE'S responsibilty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom