• ...and so much more!
  • Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Interested in a G3/HK91 clone. Looking at something like this:

pix013550648.jpg

PTR 91 KFM4 .308 on gun broker

Any input on build quality and how they shoot would be appreciated.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    If you plan on shooting a lot of milsurp or dirty ammo in general you should get their new GI model which has deeper flutes to handle the dirtier ammo and increase reliability plus function. At $899 brand new it is a great price. Downside is that it looks rough but parkerized so you can add your own finish over it later if you desire.

If you plan on shooting quality match or less dirty ammo then their normal line should suffice. PTR has had problems in the past with their main line of rifles because people who shot dirty or milsurp ammo would have ejection problems because of the shallow flutes. Other than that small issue they are good to go as quality rifles. They are built using ex-Portuguese licensed HK equipment so you know that it is in-spec. They are the best bang for your buck in-between the crappy Century clones and the pre-bans. Plus like others said factory mags are dirt cheap so buy as many as you can.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a PTR-91 GI waiting to be picked up Monday at 2A. The GI model has the thinner HK style barrel, and HK style chamber, so it is more tolerant of ammo. (The "Match Quality" barrel and chamber on most PTRs is heavier/different, and tar sealed ammo can cause cycling issues). I'll give you a report as soon as I get it to the range, possibly Monday.
    Only downside to the GI model is the color. (It comes in a sickly looking gray park) I've already ordered the HK Black Duracoat to paint the gun.

Edit: And I really need to fully read the threads before I post. Scott already talked about the GI.And +1 on the mags. I have about 50 including some steel and 30 rounders.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I read about the tar sealed ammo on HK boards. It seems to be the only ammo that causes issues.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Some people seem to have more issues with that ammo than others. But the GI model should remedy those problems. The original profile barrel also means that the G3 furniture I purchased for the rifle should fit perfectly. :party29:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you plan on shooting a lot of milsurp or dirty ammo in general you should get their new GI model which has deeper flutes to handle the dirtier ammo and increase reliability plus function. At $899 brand new it is a great price. Downside is that it looks rough but parkerized so you can add your own finish over it later if you desire.

If you plan on shooting quality match or less dirty ammo then their normal line should suffice. PTR has had problems in the past with their main line of rifles because people who shot dirty or milsurp ammo would have ejection problems because of the shallow flutes. Other than that small issue they are good to go as quality rifles. They are built using ex-Portuguese licensed HK equipment so you know that it is in-spec. They are the best bang for your buck in-between the crappy Century clones and the pre-bans. Plus like others said factory mags are dirt cheap so buy as many as you can.

I have a PTR-91 GI waiting to be picked up Monday at 2A. The GI model has the thinner HK style barrel, and HK style chamber, so it is more tolerant of ammo. (The "Match Quality" barrel and chamber on most PTRs is heavier/different, and tar sealed ammo can cause cycling issues). I'll give you a report as soon as I get it to the range, possibly Monday.
    Only downside to the GI model is the color. (It comes in a sickly looking gray park) I've already ordered the HK Black Duracoat to paint the gun.

Edit: And I really need to fully read the threads before I post. Scott already talked about the GI.And +1 on the mags. I have about 50 including some steel and 30 rounders.

Some people seem to have more issues with that ammo than others. But the GI model should remedy those problems. The original profile barrel also means that the G3 furniture I purchased for the rifle should fit perfectly. :party29:

This, This, and This!:thumbsup:

Any opinion on the 16" versus 18" barrel?

Get 18", if you want shorter get package a PTR 8" pistol over MidCounty and have him make it a registered SBR.:D

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    issue being that 18" are far and few in between, everybody has 16".

What is the rule of thumb about 30-40fps per inch, so not a lot of speed is lost, what does it really equate to in regards to 300-400 yards accuracy? Not thinking that I will ever set it upt to shoot further.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Having a PTR GI model it is a great rifle. It has shot British and Taiwanese surplus with no FTF's or problems whatsoever. I have South African that I would like to try but am saving it as my rainy day ammo. Knowing the success I had so far I know it would work well. The only issue I have had so far is sighting it in correctly. I need to buy an adjustment tool. Some shots are dead on while others are off. It is either me or the sight. Otherwise I love it :thumbsup:

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    My FAL is a 16" Paratrooper, and I waffled for quite a while trying to decide whether to get the 16" or the 18". I have to say that I really like the rifle, its a bit louder than I'd like; but its handier than an 18" (you wouldn't think the 2 inches make that much difference, but they do), and looks great. (always an important consideration :))

The PTR I'm picking up Monday is an 18", and it feels a bit clumsier (from what I've noticed in the brief time I handled it).

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've recently started researching getting a PTR 91GI but with a wedding coming up it's going to have to wait a few months :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom