Any good seafood markets in the Columbia area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I'm from Annapolis were there seems to be seafood on every corner but out here I don't see many places. I live in the Columbia/ellicott city are and had to drive out to Franks seafood for some soft crabs Not bad shop, but I'm used to better. It also took me 25 minutes to get there. Does anyone know of a good place in my area.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Wegmans is probably your best bet in Columbia.

There used to be a small market next to the Crab Shanty restaurant - nothing spectacular.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    One of the biggest seafood markets in all the land is in Jessup. Public can go in and buy. All good and right off the boats from all over. Right on 175 between Rt.1 and the prison.

jb1677

Jan 21, 2013
    Franks is as good as it gets in Howard County, nothing else even close (not that franks is great, just best in area) There is Today's Catch in Wild Lake village center that does fresh fish and Wegmans. I really wish there were better options around here.

Worth mentioning that local Giants have lobster on sale for 4.99/lb this weekend.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Franks isn't that good, what kind of stuff are you looking for? I can order you about anything you want, there's really good wholesalers in Jessup near franks but they don't sell to the public. One of my wholesalers sells a lot to wegmans.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm really not looking for fish because theres a wegmans and a new Harris teeter has decent fish. What I really look for in a seafood market is live, steamed, and soft crabs. Everything else like mussels clams etc can be found at a grocery store. I know the wegmans had crabs a while back I bought some but they were small and overpriced

jb1677

Jan 21, 2013
    If you find good crabs close to Columbia please let me know! I have been on the search since I moved here from SOMD

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    Ive heard Green Valley grocery store in Elkridge has good crabs... I don't eat crabs so I wouldn't know, but others that have liked them, and they were fairly priced

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That's Franks :)

I thought there were quite a few retailers in there. Anyway, now that the OP has cleared up what he is looking for, I don't think any of them in there will fulfill the quest for steamed crabs. My very first job was at the Crab Shanty. I know the name changed now, and I don't know if it is any good anymore.

As a side note, my neighbor works for Nafco in that complex and brings me fish upon request, but they are a wholesaler.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My wife buys a decent amount of fish from some Korean super market at the junction of route 29 and route 40. She has bought sushi grade bluefin tuna and salmon at this place and we have made our own sushi from it. She has also bought a decent amount of shellfish from them. I will have to check out Franks at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom