• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I just bought a flintlock and need some black powder. Does anyone carry 2f, 3f, and/or 4f black powder? I found some online but would like to support a local shop.

Dave

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I just bought a flintlock and need some black powder. Does anyone carry 2f, 3f, and/or 4f black powder? I found some online but would like to support a local shop.

Dave
    I think Clyde’s Sporting goods does I would give them a call

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I use a mortar and pestle to turn 2F or 3F into 4F for priming my flintlock. If you could find 4F a pound would probably last several lifetimes

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Any risk to doing that with black powder? Asking because I honestly don't know. Thanks.
    No, the mortar and pestle are ceramic. I had a can of 2F Goex and just ground a little up and Voila!
    Chip (the previous owner of the shop where the Saint is) told me to do that a couple years ago. Works like a charm.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    No, the mortar and pestle are ceramic. I had a can of 2F Goex and just ground a little up and Voila!
    Chip (the previous owner of the shop where the Saint is) told me to do that a couple years ago. Works like a charm.

Good to know! My one and only black powder rifle is percussion, so 4F doesn't apply to me at present unless I one day get a flinter. Still was curious though. Yep, I get the no sparks piece. :)

Much appreciated!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Great tip. How do you know when it's sufficiently ground?

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Try The Gun Shop in Essex. Last time I needed some about a year ago they were the only place around that stocked it.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Yeah, no explosives license would be granted here because I'm attached to an office building...plus its $200/yr for what?...so I can sell powder I already have subs for? Besides for flintlocks, yeah...haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom