Any 'net bought emergency food worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    That is why you throw them in the pot first thing in the morning and let them simmer while you do other things.

Yes ..if it's a shtf scenario an open campfire, lots of water or infinite gas/fuel may not be available/wise.

But beans n rice is excellent in almost every other respect. Complete protein, lasts forever, lightweight, fiber, etc

I've not seen blazing saddles....I'm a millennial, dont stone me. I'll have to watch it soon :) ty! Fart jokes... I took am a man of culture.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes ..if it's a shtf scenario an open campfire, lots of water or infinite gas/fuel may not be available/wise.

But beans n rice is excellent in almost every other respect. Complete protein, lasts forever, lightweight, fiber, etc

I've not seen blazing saddles....I'm a millennial, dont stone me. I'll have to watch it soon :) ty! Fart jokes... I took am a man of culture.
    It is definitely a must see movie it could not be made in today's woke Hollywood. You might have to watch it several times just to get all the innuendoes.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've stored a lot of bulk food for SHTF in sealed mylar bags in food grade 5 gal buckets with O2 absorbers. I don't bother to bake or freeze the food first, as the lack of oxygen should kill any critters pretty quickly. After putting in O2 absorbers, squeezing out as much air as possible, and sealing with a flat iron hair straightener, I wait a few hours to put the lid on. As the O2 absorbers remove the oxygen from the air in the mylar bag, they will get very hard IF the bag is well sealed. If not, try again. Each bucket holds about 30 lbs of most things (25 lbs for white flour, 15 lbs for rolled oats.) No mylar, O2 absorbers, etc required to store white sugar, but a "gamma seal" type lid is pretty much a necessity for this.

Now, here's what many folks don't realize: most of your bulk food items have about the same calories on a weight basis. For example, a pound of dry rice, a pound of flour, a pound of spaghetti, a pound of dry beans, a pound of barley, a pound of dried corn, a pound of rolled oats, a pound of dried potato flakes, and a pound of white sugar all have about 1600 calories. This is a bit less than the 2000 (women)/2500 (men) calories recommended per day for normally active adults. But if you figure that it will be supplemented, e.g. with some fresh eggs, garden produce, the occasional squirrel/old hen/rabbit/etc, a pound a day per person should keep you alive. So if a bucket holds 30 pounds, that's 1 bucket per person per month. That's my "rule of thumb."

Right now, for a family of 3, I have 61 five gal buckets. That takes up a fair amount of space, but it's not 20 months worth, because some of them have rolled oats (only 15 lbs/bucket), and a few of them have stuff like large containers of spices (inside smaller mylar bags with O2 absorbers), baking soda, vinegar in glass bottles, ionized and non-iodized salt, etc. In reality, it's about 15 months worth of calories.

In addition to the bulk food stores, we keep about 3 months worth of food in our pantry and freezers. And then there's the cow. . .

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I've got a couple of buckets of ReadyWise that I bought at Costco on the cheap, a 10lb bag of dried black beans, 32 oz of dried skim milk, and that's about it.

I realize that this is inadequate. But when I look at the prices of the internet store emergency food, my inner Scot starts yelling at me.

Is there any of these emergency food sellers that offer reasonably priced for what you get?

(I'm hearing the snickering even now)

I read where you can go to our good friends the Mormons to look for reasonably priced foods, but it seems like it's always eggs or milk and the like. Not prepared meals.

What's a cheap prepper-wanna-be to do?
    I bought 2 buckets of Ready Wise, but did some scouring on YouTube and the web, and of all the buckets, it's probably the worst. Worst tasting, smallest portions, etc. I did get some Mountain House and other stuff, something Farms. Started with an A. I'll look.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I bought 2 buckets of Ready Wise, but did some scouring on YouTube and the web, and of all the buckets, it's probably the worst. Worst tasting, smallest portions, etc. I did get some Mountain House and other stuff, something Farms. Started with an A. I'll look.
    Augason Farms of Salt Lake, UT, is highly rated and good quality. DailyBread and Mountain House is also supposed to be OK and has some prepared entries. I'm starting to see Harvest Right Freeze Dryers everywhere but they are still a bit pricey if you want to try your hand at it and ultimately save money if you use it enough. An "Earth Straw" will provide fresh water from wells up to 300ft deep with some elbow grease in a prolonged grid down situation.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Augason Farms of Salt Lake, UT, is highly rated and good quality. DailyBread and Mountain House is also supposed to be OK and has some prepared entries. I'm starting to see Harvest Right Freeze Dryers everywhere but they are still a bit pricey if you want to try your hand at it and ultimately save money if you use it enough. An "Earth Straw" will provide fresh water from wells up to 300ft deep with some elbow grease in a prolonged grid down situation.
    Rain barrels fed by your existing roof gutters

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    That’s a lot more than most. Mine supplement a pond fed by a good creek fed by a couple springs so my barrels are less critical.
    My main backup is solar power for my well pump.

My backup backup backup is a year 'round stream 1/4 mile behind the house. But carrying water sucks bad. And the further you have to carry it, the worse it sucks.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Rain barrels fed by your existing roof gutters
    Good choice for folks w/o wells, but I use those primarily for garden irrigation but prefer well water that doesn't need to be treated for drinking. There is supposed to be downspout devices that will divert the first 10 minutes of rain to wash away and divert pollutants that are on your roof (and solar panels ;-)) away from your rain barrels if you go that route.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My main backup is solar power for my well pump.

My backup backup backup is a year 'round stream 1/4 mile behind the house. But carrying water sucks bad. And the further you have to carry it, the worse it sucks.
    Same here but in an EMP event, all that stuff may be fried. Plan B, Earth Straw, Plan C springs and creeks but what a PITA.

As an aside, there are a lot of shallow "surface" wells under 33' deep around here that could be used w/ standard lift pumps. It is not the best tasting water, cut would do in a pinch.

Sirex