• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I heard it was the only legal way to carry a magazine with a capacity greater than ten...
    You were badly misinformed.

Among the questions MSI most frequently encounters are, "Can I keep magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds?" or "Can I carry a magazine that holds more than 10?"

Maryland law does not prohibit the possession of a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.
    Period, full stop.

Law says this:

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. Section 4-305.1.
    And...
    be aware that MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-306(b), provides that a person who uses a magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds in the commission of a felony or a crime of violence is subject to a minimum sentence of 5 years in addition to any sentence imposed for the crime itself. SO, don't use your magazine in any crimes of violence or felonies (e.g., First Degree Assault), and you will be fine.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    It's a good question. So good it comes up frequently. And all the answers are more or less the same.

My view...Most important point: Speed (as said by many above). Next most important point: in a crisis situation, the adrenalin flows, fine motor skills degrade, tunnel vision occurs...this is not the time to require extra steps. I don't even like a manual safety as I've actually accidentally engaged it at the range and was surprised when the gun didn't function. The less things to worry about, the better.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. SOCOM.
    What does the quote slow is smooth smooth is fast mean?

At its core, the expression “slow is smooth and smooth is fast” is about not rushing into doing the wrong things. It's about the power of strategic thinking and deliberate action.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    You were badly misinformed.

Among the questions MSI most frequently encounters are, "Can I keep magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds?" or "Can I carry a magazine that holds more than 10?"

Maryland law does not prohibit the possession of a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.
    Period, full stop.

Law says this:

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. Section 4-305.1.
    And...
    be aware that MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-306(b), provides that a person who uses a magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds in the commission of a felony or a crime of violence is subject to a minimum sentence of 5 years in addition to any sentence imposed for the crime itself. SO, don't use your magazine in any crimes of violence or felonies (e.g., First Degree Assault), and you will be fine.
    :sarcasm: by Art3 perhaps?

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I was extremely nervous about carrying with one in the pipe at first but now I carry with one in the pipe and safety on. My CCW is striker fired and I cannot understand how people carry one without a safety.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Smooth begets speed. Practice the basics of presenting the sidearm...there are several steps in doing so. Practice each until it all becomes one smooth, fluid motion. Speed comes from that.

Trying to introduce speed before you've established smooth, fluid motion is a recipe for herky-jerky motions that cost time and possibly your life.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was extremely nervous about carrying with one in the pipe at first but now I carry with one in the pipe and safety on. My CCW is striker fired and I cannot understand how people carry one without a safety.
    Depend on the holster. But if the trigger is covered and pistol doesnt move. Its perfectly fine. I carry XD compact and its not scary

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Because you don't understand how they function.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is it in a pocket holster? But, you are at the range and could strap on an OWB.

Factor this into your mental calculus in deciding whether or not to carry in your front pocket . ( Or appendix for that matter )
    Yeah - pocket holster. Kind of lame on my part - I should just use OWB with an overcoat or some other form of carry for shooting prone at the range.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll add my 2 cents - go with a round in the chamber if you can and don't otherwise. CCW is one situation where I do like a bobbed hammer revolver - but they are big and heavy compared to a 380 mouse gun. I think a mouse gun in a pocket holster is hard to beat if the CONCEALED part of CCW is important to you.

Skilled people who practice it as a stunt can be surprising fast , say on par with a low average person drawing from holster with loaded gun . But that still presupposes both hands free , no mud, blood , or sweat on hands , etc .

Drawing against opponent with ( ready to use weapon in their hand ) is always a very bad odds proposition. And I say that knowing two people who tried it . ( One had knife armed BG run away instead of lunging with knife , the other caught a non fatal bullet , and BG decided to then disengage , instead of a finishing shot while he was down. )
    Yep, I would say the average CC holder isn't going to draw and fire on someone who has also drawn down on them which makes the idea of carrying on an empty chamber and drawing and chambering even more of a fantasy. I see videos of guys practicing drawing and firing from the hip and maybe with enough practice you "might" get away with it but there ain't no way most could...they would wind up shot. Same for grabbing a gun off someone while they are pointing it you. I carry nothing worth getting shot over and most others don't either.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When I was doing my CCW class (did not need to, prior military but decided to take the class anyways) the instructor timed everyone for a realistic draw. I don't remember the cutoff time, but about one third of us would have been stabbed by an assailant running at us armed with a knife. That did not count racking a round.

When I was doing my CCW class (did not need to, prior military but decided to take the class anyways) the instructor timed everyone for a realisticing at us armed with a knife. That did not count racking a round.
    Yep, law enforcement tests concluded that in most cases a minimum reactionary gap of 21 feet is required for officers to draw their weapons (OWB), fire two shots, and step out of the attackers path. See 2:44 in this training video:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I was sent to a class called “Mental Preparation for an Armed Encounter”…one of the most intense classes I ever attended…I reported back to my agency that every officer should be required to take it.

The instructor showed the class using several volunteers how a suspect could stab or shoot an officer who already had his sidearm out. This was fairly close contact…not the 21 feet. He defeated every officer. His point was that the suspect knew what he was going to do…the officer didn’t. He said that little delay where the officer has to process what was happening delayed his response allowing the instructor/suspect the opportunity to defeat him.

The mental time delay to rack the slide is much the same thing.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    There were occasions while in the Navy to perform courier duty. Procedure was to carry the .45 with an empty chamber and one loaded mag on my belt. To add insult to injury, a brief case was attached to my left arm. More than once I told the officer of the deck that the huge hole in the bottom of the grip screamed empty. Off I went in a German driven motor pool vehicle to an AFCOS office on the other side of town. I never felt so naked <g>.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    As the only one here who has actually trained with Israelis, I am here to tell you the ones I trained with say don't carry Israeli :) Old lore why it started was the need of an added layer of safety for their young soldiers. Who knows.

If you carry empty, I am sure hoping you are training to rack it with your strong hand, because you might be fighting off an attacker with your other hand as he is choking you.
    Pro tip: You're not racking it on the heel of your shoe.

You will not have a perfect shooting scenario where your attacker is far outside your reactionary gap to allow you time. Especially if they have a gun.

Bad guys don't carry Israeli, so why should you give them a head start?

What about your child or wife with you? I shall be pulling/pushing/guiding them behind me/out of the way with my support hand while drawing and shooting with 1 hand.

In a life or death scenario that requires the most critical thinking of your entire life, some people sure aren't thinking by carrying empty.

There is no logical reason to carry less than 100% of your pistol.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    As the only one here who has actually trained with Israelis, I am here to tell you the ones I trained with say don't carry Israeli :) Old lore why it started was the need of an added layer of safety for their young soldiers. Who knows.

If you carry empty, I am sure hoping you are training to rack it with your strong hand, because you might be fighting off an attacker with your other hand as he is choking you.

You will not have a perfect shooting scenario where your attacker is far outside your reactionary gap to allow you time. Especially if they have a gun.

What about your child or wife with you? I shall be pulling/pushing/guiding them behind me/out of the way with my support hand while drawing and shooting with 1 hand.

In a life or death scenario that requires the most critical thinking of your entire life, some people sure aren't thinking by carrying empty.

/thread. Very well stated.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Because in a stress situation, just pulling trigger is enough to remember. If you really fret, carry a DA/SA with a de-cocker. The first round isn't going off without a significant trigger pull. The brilliance of Gaston Glock, he wanted a gun without the extra step.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    How will it go off in a holster?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

Absolutely the best advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom