• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wouldn't call them huge. Standard work pant sized pocket. Huge is a relative word though.

What's your waist size, if I may ask?

The same pants in a 42" waist will have bigger pockets than will the 32" version.

I've been disappointed that I haven't quite been able to make pocket carry work as an option with my P365 and an Alabama holster. Size 34 is about as loose as I can go, but the little SIG is still a tad overwhelming in any pants I've tried.

Actually, I have a pair of Wrangler cargo shorts in 34 that I would be comfortable pocket carrying in, but I only wear shorts around the house. The long pants version uses a little Spandex in the cloth, which I hate, loathe, and despise. It clings around the gun in a way the all-cotton shorts don't.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry, I should have been more clear, I forgot I am the only person living my own life. My apologizes.

I have clothes for work and only work. Those are the pants I pocket carry. One of my coworkers has some Velcro belt, but I have found that when I have super loose pants and crank the belt way down it tends to get uncomfortable for me.
    A ratchet belt from Kore or Nexbelt is your answer.
    It's almost 1/4 inch adjustments with just the push of a small lever. Then if you want to tighten, just push the belt together. No having to mess with 1 inch holes in a traditional belt.
    They can be between 60 and 90 bucks or so, but well worth the money for comfort.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I feel like that is a scam. I consider a safety to be something to keep the gun from firing when you pull the trigger.
    External safeties were invented when QC was unknown, and because military personnel were largely untrained and considered unreliable. Junior military personnel were 17-21, and the officers were RIGHT.

Where's the external safety on the common revolver?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It's almost 1/4 inch adjustments with just the push of a small lever. Then if you want to tighten, just push the belt together. No having to mess with 1 inch holes in a traditional belt.
    They can be between 60 and 90 bucks or so, but well worth the money for comfort.
    This is the way for all belts- I tried the Kore 3 years ago and never looked back. I have different variants and buckles and whether or not carrying they are the best belts I’ve ever owned and use them everyday.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah, this is the secret.

You can even justify a nexbelt on the grounds of comfort alone; it's pleasant to be able to recline and loosen the belt. A little shove on arising snugs things up again.

Tuckable IWB can be a bit uncomfortable, and a bit slow on the draw, but it certainly keeps gun carriage private, and is still no slower than taking time to chamber a round.

All that being said, why not carry a pistol that would be safe for pocket carry with a round chambered?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I feel like that is a scam. I consider a safety to be something to keep the gun from firing when you pull the trigger. Apparently Glock has never shared this opinion.

That is * one * of the purposes of Safety devices and mechanisms . Certainly an important one . Heck , in the abstract , I prefer such , albeit not a hard deal breaker. But not the only purpose.

Preventing a Bang when dropped , or bumped or jostled , or whatever not involving pulling the trigger on purpose.

Dig deeper into the mechanical engineering aspects of gun design . Some designs immobilize the trigger mechanism . Some immobilize the sear . Some physically block the hammer from contacting the firing pin . Some immobilize the firing pin/ striker itself . The mechanical insurance soreness of Preventing Bangs is pretty much in that order ( and some designs combine multiple ) . The often hated Colt Series 80 is an example of the firing pin ain't gonna contact a primer , w/o trigger being pulled.

Walther PP series ( & multiple design derivatives) is an example where On Safe is much more better -er safe than hammer down off safe .

I get it about eschewing expensive accessories. But a quick search shows basic yet entirely functional pocket holsters for about $20 . ( Yeah , used to be around $10 , but $20 nowadays still rounds off to negligible. )

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And specifically on Glock , the various passive safeties do do well at prevention of Bang , other than trigger being depressed . That is important & meaningful in itself .

The weakness is in stray objects other than trigger fingers finding their way inside of trigger guards.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    That is * one * of the purposes of Safety devices and mechanisms . Certainly an important one . Heck , in the abstract , I prefer such , albeit not a hard deal breaker. But not the only purpose.

Preventing a Bang when dropped , or bumped or jostled , or whatever not involving pulling the trigger on purpose.

Dig deeper into the mechanical engineering aspects of gun design . Some designs immobilize the trigger mechanism . Some immobilize the sear . Some physically block the hammer from contacting the firing pin . Some immobilize the firing pin/ striker itself . The mechanical insurance soreness of Preventing Bangs is pretty much in that order ( and some designs combine multiple ) . The often hated Colt Series 80 is an example of the firing pin ain't gonna contact a primer , w/o trigger being pulled.

Walther PP series ( & multiple design derivatives) is an example where On Safe is much more better -er safe than hammer down off safe .

I get it about eschewing expensive accessories. But a quick search shows basic yet entirely functional pocket holsters for about $20 . ( Yeah , used to be around $10 , but $20 nowadays still rounds off to negligible. )
    All this being said, the benefit of a "safety" that Glock has, is ease of use. I send this with one sitting on my hip. I still wince a little when I slip it on in a vehicle after visiting some "safe" zone where I can't have it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sorry, I should have been more clear, I forgot I am the only person living my own life. My apologizes.

I have clothes for work and only work. Those are the pants I pocket carry. One of my coworkers has some Velcro belt, but I have found that when I have super loose pants and crank the belt way down it tends to get uncomfortable for me.

Uncomfortable is better than dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I feel like that is a scam. I consider a safety to be something to keep the gun from firing when you pull the trigger. Apparently Glock has never shared this opinion.

If you don’t want it to go off, don’t pull the trigger. Surprisingly simple, really.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    If you don’t want it to go off, don’t pull the trigger. Surprisingly simple, really.

Yup. I have never on accident pulled a trigger, but I am sure some people have had some desk pops from bad holsters or carry technique without actually using their index finger to pull the trigger. That is the kind of safety I think is the most effective. I don't think it applies or is needed everywhere, but a safety that stops a trigger pull from discharging a firearm I believe is the most effective safety. Just my opinion, and the reasoning behind me having the other opinion that Glock safety features, are not an actual safety.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It would be a good idea to get a pocket holster for your Glock. If nothing else, it breaks up the outline and may provide some comfortable padding.

For a striker fired pistol, the holster IS the safety. With a pocket holster you can safely carry with a chambered round.

I always carry with a round chambered, but I always carry with a holster. These days it's a P365 AIWB in a Bravo Torsion, or a Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

The Nemesis is cheap and simple. It would allow you to carry with a round chambered.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Huge is a relative word though.
    That's exactly what I told her.
    He's already said he doesn't want to waste money on a decent holster, I suspect buying a good belt isn't happening either.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't think it applies or is needed everywhere, but a safety that stops a trigger pull from discharging a firearm I believe is the most effective safety. Just my opinion, and the reasoning behind me having the other opinion that Glock safety features, are not an actual safety.
    Agree on both points.

That's why I carry a DA/SA semi-auto, with a hammer and decocker.

It rides at half-cock, requires a somewhat stiff first trigger pull - though not nearly as heavy as if the hammer were fully down, which is sufficient as a safety for my purposes.

The decocker allows me to safely attain the half-cock when chambering a round, and the combo removes the need for an additional safety, as well as removing the need to train muscle memory to switch a safety to the fire position.

It works for me. The Glock system is concerning for me, if not for thee.

If I were to carry a striker-fired pistol, the HK P7 would be the one. But no one is gonna carry a $2000+ firearm for street wear. Pity they stopped making them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom