6a119c242c25e928139e03944d286e30_w200.webp
    VaxX.gif
    87bL.gif

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, I agree, so that is why I put in my pocket instead of leaving it home.
    No one ever takes a gun course using a pistol in their pocket. No instructor allows any student to take a class with a gun in their pocket. Wanna know why? Because it is not practical. All that will happen in real life is you get shot or beat up and then the bad guy takes your gun and later on kills someone with it.

Any threat/situation that you see unfold long enough for you to wrestle the pistol out, rack it hot and then prepare to take a shot, is enough time for you to get away and avoid the situation altogether.
    You are also not being responsible to those with you, if you have a wife or kids, etc... You are no good to them.

I say "you" as in general to anyone who makes this mistake. Many times a year people with experience chime in on this exact issue and told we are wrong.
    How are you going to rack your pistol with your support hand when it is up in front of your face trying to block punches or trying to get the threat off of you?

Carrying unloaded AND in the pocket are both bad mistakes. But if you want to make less of a bad mistake, carry a small revolver in your pocket and give yourself a smidgen better of a chance. At least the gun will be loaded.

Good luck. But get a ratchet belt.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    When Marines guarded the gates of USMC bases and Naval bases with 45's they had them locked and cocked in their holsters. Without a round in the chamber you are holding a metal rock.
    Keeping a 1911 cocked sounds riskier than it is. The 1911 has a thumb safety and another safety on the grip. The Glock has neither.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    No one ever takes a gun course using a pistol in their pocket. No instructor allows any student to take a class with a gun in their pocket. Wanna know why? Because it is not practical. All that will happen in real life is you get shot or beat up and then the bad guy takes your gun and later on kills someone with it.

Carrying unloaded AND in the pocket are both bad mistakes.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Empty chamber while CCing? I only do with wheel guns when I'm off-trail. (Some are old, some are 'safer' but I'd rather not risk it if I fall, etc.) Empty slider is an angry slider and needs extra attention to get warmed up before you can *bang*.

You do you though and have a designated dry-no ammo - EVER area to practice. Even better a round(-shaped) laser emitter that will be the only thing that goes in that magazine for effective application of a smoother faster draw. Fast ain't shit if if you can't land a hit.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm not ninja enough to perceive the threat, survive the attack and rack a round to put a shot on target.

If we're honest...no one is.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Scary shit. I know probably ~3 dozen peeps with some type of firearm hobby, at least half (most likely more) have this 'boomer fudd' mentality of a loaded modern production handgun.

When I hear the opinions/squirming, it all sounds like a self confidence problem over any other excuse. lol

One guy is afraid he'll shoot himself

Anyway, back to boomer fuddin', these guys wont pay for a cheap PA Club/Range membership for themselves/family so they will never pay for training

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm not ninja enough to perceive the threat, survive the attack and rack a round to put a shot on target.

If we're honest...no one is.
    After 9/11, NG troops got deployed to DC for a while. A lot of them had an M9 on a lanyard without one in the chamber.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    After 9/11, NG troops got deployed to DC for a while. A lot of them had an M9 on a lanyard without one in the chamber.

Ridiculous. At least if I had gotten my arm broken or head caved in by a brick, the guardsman next to me would be able to rack a round and respond.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD

Any threat/situation that you see unfold long enough for you to wrestle the pistol out, rack it hot and then prepare to take a shot, is enough time for you to get away and avoid the situation altogether.
    You are also not being responsible to those with you, if you have a wife or kids, etc... You are no good to them.

I say "you" as in general to anyone who makes this mistake. Many times a year people with experience chime in on this exact issue and told we are wrong.
    How are you going to rack your pistol with your support hand when it is up in front of your face trying to block punches or trying to get the threat off of you?

Carrying unloaded AND in the pocket are both bad mistakes. But if you want to make less of a bad mistake, carry a small revolver in your pocket and give yourself a smidgen better of a chance. At least the gun will be loaded.

Good luck. But get a ratchet belt.
    Thanks for the wishes of luck.

What about the ride in my car for an hour where I have the gun? It goes in my pocket, and then into my car safe.

That is mainly why I do this. I get that the time to get that gun into play will be a long time, and likely so much that I should avoid the conflict.

An inadequate gun is better then none at all.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    What's your waist size, if I may ask?

The same pants in a 42" waist will have bigger pockets than will the 32" version.

I've been disappointed that I haven't quite been able to make pocket carry work as an option with my P365 and an Alabama holster. Size 34 is about as loose as I can go, but the little SIG is still a tad overwhelming in any pants I've tried.

Actually, I have a pair of Wrangler cargo shorts in 34 that I would be comfortable pocket carrying in, but I only wear shorts around the house. The long pants version uses a little Spandex in the cloth, which I hate, loathe, and despise. It clings around the gun in a way the all-cotton shorts don't.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the wishes of luck.

What about the ride in my car for an hour where I have the gun? It goes in my pocket, and then into my car safe.

That is mainly why I do this. I get that the time to get that gun into play will be a long time, and likely so much that I should avoid the conflict.

You are in a getaway car. A gun is irrelevant.
    Carry a pistol like a trained, sane person who values their life and those around them.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    You are in a getaway car. A gun is irrelevant.
    Carry a pistol like a trained, sane person who values their life and those around them.
    Yes, because you know all situations that will happen ever, how did I not see you knew that. It is probably because I don't see all situations ever.

It is a tool, I would rather have it and not need it then need it not have it, but thank you for your opinion.

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis

Maybe, maybe not. When a response to a deadly threat is required will a gun with and empty chamber delay your response just long enough for them to take it away from you and use it on you? If someone is within 21' of you conventional thinking is that they'll close the distance before you can draw and discharge on them and that's with a round in the chamber.

When I first started carrying concealed I kept the camber empty on my P365 and every time I went to the range I'd practice my draw, rack the slide, and put a round on target. After hundreds of practice draws it worked out to about one in 15-20 times that I wouldn't rack the slide hard enough and get a jam that had to be cleared. Thinking about that, I had to ask how would this go in a real life threatening situation and how reliably could I quickly put a round on target? I answered that question - not good enough. I put a manual safety on my P365 and a round in the chamber and never looked back.

Not wanting to start a manual safety debate let me just say that I have a great many years of experience on a 1911 model 70 .45 ACP and it's second nature to me to flick off the safety as my sights go on target. I'd probably instinctively do it on a pistol that didn't have one. I totally get it that if all your experience and training has not been with a MS firearm that you might feel differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom