• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I do....most of the time carry with an empty chamber. The problem is, if you really have to draw and fire, that the gun may jam of fail to feed when you need it the most. I believe it is not a good idea to carry that way, but I do it anyways for my own personal safety. I understand that sounds stupid. If I have to draw in a situation, racking the slide only takes a split second, and the person I am in conflict with knows I now have a loaded gun.....but if it fails to load he also now knows he has to do something quick while he has the advantage....really, it is best to carry "at the ready".......M
    He has had the advantage and was already planning to do something quick since before you ever saw him. Carrying mostly unloaded just makes his advantage a whole lot bigger.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I do....most of the time carry with an empty chamber. The problem is, if you really have to draw and fire, that the gun may jam of fail to feed when you need it the most. I believe it is not a good idea to carry that way, but I do it anyways for my own personal safety. I understand that sounds stupid. If I have to draw in a situation, racking the slide only takes a split second, and the person I am in conflict with knows I now have a loaded gun.....but if it fails to load he also now knows he has to do something quick while he has the advantage....really, it is best to carry "at the ready".......M
    Watch some Active Self Protection and Donut Operator videos both on youtube. You'll see how fast things happen and that "split second" to rack the slide is enough time for you to already be dead or near-enough dead that you are done putting up any defense.

The ASP videos are great (my fave for this type of education; Donut is more for comedic relief but he does cover some education points) because they analyze what happened and how things could/should have been done better and what was done well. Fantastic learning series for the price. Never once did they say, "good thing the good guy carried with an empty chamber."

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've said it before, a bad guy doesn't give you the courtesy of using a pistol with an empty chamber, you shouldn't either.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The bad guy knows what he plans on doing…you don’t. There’s always a slight bit of time lag while your brain processes what is happening and your response after the initial “Holy Shit!” reaction. Having to remember to chamber a round…if you remember that little step…adds to reaction time when you don’t have time to waste.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    People who propose carrying on an empty chamber, most likely have never been in a life or death stress situation. If you think, that you'll remember to rack the gun, while someone is trying to kill you...God be with you.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    So you think.
    1707493764284.jpeg

As fathers, we have an obligation to reduce our error rate- but none of us can claim perfection.

As sons, we can forgive the errors of our fathers before us.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    View attachment 453681

As fathers, we have an obligation to reduce our error rate- but none of us can claim perfection.

As sons, we can forgive the errors of our fathers before us.
    And we need to broaden our knowledge.
    There are some things people do that are flat out wrong and then there are things people do that get the " I see how you do it and it seems to work, but let me show you a different way".
    My Dad was a decent shot as far as I remember, but in the early 70's, there sure wasn't the same techniques we've come to know in the last 20 years.
    Just don't go to any shooting class and say "but that's the way my Dad taught me".

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    People who propose carrying on an empty chamber, most likely have never been in a life or death stress situation. If you think, that you'll remember to rack the gun, while someone is trying to kill you...God be with you.
    I've never been in a life or death situation, but I'm surely not carrying on empty chamber.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    +100 Thanks to Blaster for turning me onto them.
    I definitely couldn't keep them a secret. :) A serious game changer, with or without a pistol.

I just got the Kore ratcheting "battle belt" put together. I'll do a thingy on it after I use it this weekend.
    I wouldn't use it in actual combat, simply because of how the buckle isn't load rated. But for the range or even a cop belt, the ratcheting is YUGE.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Now you're just being ... radical! Gun Nutty-- :D

giphy.gif

Obvious for the crowd here: Always make sure the magazine is properly seated after you top off or you'll have a "Boom"... "Click". This is only barely better than not having a round in the chamber to begin with because you got a shot off....

Of course, after that happens you have to do a Tap and Rack for another Bang.... which might be worse than carrying with empty chamber to begin with because of the additional step involved.

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    And we need to broaden our knowledge.
    There are some things people do that are flat out wrong and then there are things people do that get the " I see how you do it and it seems to work, but let me show you a different way".
    My Dad was a decent shot as far as I remember, but in the early 70's, there sure wasn't the same techniques we've come to know in the last 20 years.
    Just don't go to any shooting class and say "but that's the way my Dad taught me".

I really think it depends on how good you are in the the way you learned. Just because something is the latest popular method, doesn't mean if you were good with the older out of date method that you need to change. When I did my training class for my permit, I shot the way the instructor was teaching. While I passed the qualification, I would have done better shooting the way I normally shot.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I really think it depends on how good you are in the the way you learned. Just because something is the latest popular method, doesn't mean if you were good with the older out of date method that you need to change. When I did my training class for my permit, I shot the way the instructor was teaching. While I passed the qualification, I would have done better shooting the way I normally shot.
    You should have shot your way. I would have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom