Anybody in MoCo that reloads their own Ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    Just curious if anyone reloads in Moco County. I am looking into reloading and trying to see if anyone is local that might be interested in giving some advice. More than that I am also looking for people to shoot with. My friends are not really the enthusiast that I am, and it would be nice to have others that want to go shooting on the weekends.

BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    Yeah I have been wondering about Isaac Walton League. Thanks for the info. I also looking to see a reloading setup in action. I want to get a feel for it before I dive in head first.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    Yeah I have been wondering about Isaac Walton League. Thanks for the info. I also looking to see a reloading setup in action. I want to get a feel for it before I dive in head first.

there are guys out there that will show you what you need and how to do it... get you a used Dillon 550 or 650 to start

BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    I live in moco, and would offer you advice...but i dont know if you want it. I havent shot my reloads yet!

Richard, haha....I would appreciate anything. Its one thing to watch videos and read books, and its another to physically do the mechanics and talk to someone about it. IF you are willing, would love to pick your brain about it.

BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    there are guys out there that will show you what you need and how to do it... get you a used Dillon 550 or 650 to start

Jay, I looked into getting a Dillon....What do you think about the Hornady Progressive presses? I cant decide between the two. Have read everyone's opinions and looks like i really cant go wrong with either.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Love my Hornady LnL. Great press. You really can't go wrong with either a Dillon or Hornady.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Hello, If your near Rockville stop in Atlantic Guns and speak to Bill Schneider he has reloaded single stage and on a dillon. Or stop in the Silver Spring Atlantic Gun store and see Joel he also belongs to Bethesda IWL

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia

I shoot at the IWLA in Germantown right off of Waring Station near the intersection of Clopper road. They have public trap on Thursday nights from 6 to ~9. They have a rifle and pistol range that is open Saturday and Sundays for members only. They have an archery range that is pretty much open 24/7 but for members only. I haven't shot up there in a while due to work. The members are really nice people.

Sorry, can't help you with the reloading part.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Flipz....Where do live in MoCo?? Im in Germantown. How long you been reloading?

I live in Aspen Hill. Ive been reloading for a coulpe years for both 9mm & .45acp.

Currently Im waiting on some 147gr 9mm bullets to come in from Montana Gold for a subsonic load Im gonna use once my suppressor is approved. For 9mm I usually load 124gr FMJ's so this will be my first dive into loading subsonics.

I get all my bullets from Montana Gold or Precision Delta. I usually get my powder and primers online but sometimes I get them from Atlantic Guns (Rockville or Silver Spring) if Im in a rush.

What calibers are you planing on reloading for? It has a lot to do with press selection. Also, what range do you go to?

And a piece of advice, dont dive in head first. Pick up the book "ABC's of Reloading" or any other good reloading handbook. Then read through it. Its great bathroom reading material that will help you better understand the process and selection of different hardware and components.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    I'm a fan of progressives for mass produced stuff and Forester for 1000 yds rounds. Shotgun I have friends for that like burning it up. Midway is a good place for bulk and Sinclair international for the high end chit.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    My 2 favorite online sources for powder and primers are Graf's and Powder Valley. Their prices cant be beat. The trick is to wait until they have a "No Hazmat Fee" or other special running.

BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    I live in Aspen Hill. Ive been reloading for a coulpe years for both 9mm & .45acp.

Currently Im waiting on some 147gr 9mm bullets to come in from Montana Gold for a subsonic load Im gonna use once my suppressor is approved. For 9mm I usually load 124gr FMJ's so this will be my first dive into loading subsonics.

I get all my bullets from Montana Gold or Precision Delta. I usually get my powder and primers online but sometimes I get them from Atlantic Guns (Rockville or Silver Spring) if Im in a rush.

What calibers are you planing on reloading for? It has a lot to do with press selection. Also, what range do you go to?

And a piece of advice, dont dive in head first. Pick up the book "ABC's of Reloading" or any other good reloading handbook. Then read through it. Its great bathroom reading material that will help you better understand the process and selection of different hardware and components.

I am going to reload 40 S&W, 223 rounds....Ill probably start to load 45 ACP, as I want to get a 1911, and possibly shotgun rounds at some point. I already picked up the ABC's of Reloading and I read through it. I want to pick up other books to read so that I can get all the information I can. I usually shoot at Cresap in Frederick.

Where do you shoot at?

BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    I shoot at the IWLA in Germantown right off of Waring Station near the intersection of Clopper road. They have public trap on Thursday nights from 6 to ~9. They have a rifle and pistol range that is open Saturday and Sundays for members only. They have an archery range that is pretty much open 24/7 but for members only. I haven't shot up there in a while due to work. The members are really nice people.

Sorry, can't help you with the reloading part.

I checked out IWLA in Germantown and I am looking at joining this November. They said that that is the next initiation class thing and I will only pay for 1 year and get 2 months free.

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    You are welcome to see my reloading setup on the weekend. I do mostly handgun/progressive/cast on various calibers. PM if interested.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I am going to reload 40 S&W, 223 rounds....Ill probably start to load 45 ACP, as I want to get a 1911, and possibly shotgun rounds at some point. I already picked up the ABC's of Reloading and I read through it. I want to pick up other books to read so that I can get all the information I can. I usually shoot at Cresap in Frederick.

What are you using to reload? Where do you shoot at?

I reload on a Hornady LnL and shoot at MSAR mostly but plan on becoming an IWL member shortly. A few other great handbooks are Hornady's latest addition & Speer's latest addition.

To start, reloading for straight walled pistol calibers would be the easiest. Thats where I suggest you begin your reloading journey. You do have to be careful with .40 S&W. It has a much higher pressure then 9mm or .45acp. Thats why I suggest beginning with 9mm or .45acp.

When it comes to .223/5.56 I cant really help you there as I have no experience loading rifle calibers. Rifle calibers do usually need more prep to the cases then straight walled pistol rounds. And the process is a little more detailed. But thats really the most I can tell you.

As far as presses go, you can load all the calibers you mentioned, minus shotgun rounds, on a LnL, 550 or 650. The real question is how many rounds do you shoot per month? This will tell you wether or not you really "need" a progressive press. Thats a really important question to ask yourself as the start up costs for progressive press reloading are not cheap.

Also, check out this guys youtube page. He's the guy that runs UltimateReloader.com. Its full of good info and his videos are produced very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom