• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    That's what I'm talking about. Those little rifles look awesome! Maybe chopping one is the answer.
    I measured both with the plugs in, My dowel was resting on the face of the plug and not dropping into the "cup"
    Green ML - 17.75"
    S.S. ML - 20"

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a .577 Enfield Royal Artillery Carbine, usually called a Musketoon by skirmishes. It has a 24" barrel, and is very compact.

It's intended for minie balls, so it can be loaded and fired rapidly: 3 aimed shots per minute is normal.

Some people use them for deer hunting, but I think the Pattern 1858 Two Band rifle is more popular. It has a 33" barrel, but is otherwise identical to the Musketoon.

Remember, a muzzleloader has no "action" so a Carbine with a 24" barrel is probably about the length of a bolt action with a 18" barrel.

Here are photos of one just like it:

(I see they're saying 22" barrel, but I'm sure it's 24".)
    I have one of those, too. It's persnickety about projectiles and powder. The only accurate projectiles have been .568 Pritchett paper cartridges with FFF. I haven't found any Burtons/Minies that work well. But it's a blast, literally, with the right powder and projectile combo. It would probably make a handy hunting carbine.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have one of those, too. It's persnickety about projectiles and powder. The only accurate projectiles have been .568 Pritchett paper cartridges with FFF. I haven't found any Burtons/Minies that work well. But it's a blast, literally, with the right powder and projectile combo. It would probably make a handy hunting carbine.

Way cooler than some boring old inline!

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    The Wolf is only 2 inches and change longer than an 18.5" barrel 1895G.

Attachments

• 20230117_204447.jpg
      20230117_204447.jpg
      187.8 KB · Views: 68
    • 20230117_204500.jpg
      20230117_204500.jpg
      165.7 KB · Views: 70

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I just sold a Mowrey through the shop...was only like $350 too. Brass brass and more brass.
    Oh no kidding if I knew I probably would have bought it to shoot some deers.
    Anyway, anybody going out for late season primitive?
    I just washed out a pair of double set fitted New Englanders for evening hunts.
    I built nearly an exact clone of one I did years ago for my youngest lad when he came home from the corps.
    T/c Hawken spares and some fitting up does very nicely on them when you can get the parts reasonably enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom