• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    Would like to look into getting some tannerite. what prices can I expect and I want one that will ignite with .22 shells. will ones tha twork with .22 work with regular centerfire as well? anyone near frostburg want to bring some to my place to shoot?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Would like to look into getting some tannerite. what prices can I expect and I want one that will ignite with .22 shells. will ones tha twork with .22 work with regular centerfire as well? anyone near frostburg want to bring some to my place to shoot?
    In less time than it took you to post this, you could find Tannerite at multiple sources using Google.

Genuine Tannerite will NOT initiate using low energy rounds like .22s and handguns.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    i know i can find it anywhere. i was just wondering if there was some place local people went to get it. i'd seen some places advertise that they made a low enery variant or something. I don't really care what its made of..just that it goes boom.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    York Gunshow this past weekend, there was a guy selling them.. four tables worth of stuff.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've bought stuff from http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/category_s/239.htm and it worked fine for me. Ed is right -- the original recipe won't detonate with a .22 (or .30 carbine) -- needs a HP rifle round. JoeBob does sell a mix with a sensitizer added that will go off with .30 carbine -- I haven't tried it with .22.

I took a bunch out to Arizona in April and shot it with .30 carbine, 7.5x55 Swiss, 7.62x54 and everything we hit went BOOM very nicely indeed.

Had one interesting experience -- shooting with my K31 at one target dangling from a string in a mesquite tree against a mountain backdrop at about 80m, I thought I saw a flash after one shot, but no boom. Closed down the firing line and went to investigate -- had just nicked the container and grazed the upper edge of the pile of tannerite inside the plastic container, and that produced a flash of the stuff that had been grazed by the bullet without the full blown detonation. Interesting! Went BOOM very nicely, though, when a direct hit was scored...

JoeBob is a very nice and accommodating guy to work with -- I highly endorse.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    We are our area's distributor for Sure Shot.

Tannerite is a proprietary formula. Sure Shot Exploding Targets are very different and only share a single common chemical in their formula.

The Sure Shot Magnums are Rimfire sensitive (22LR standard velocity ammo out of a rifle). They will go off with authority, and are 3-4 times more potent than standard tannerite per pound. I shoot them all the time with Fed bulk packs out of an AR upper, etc. It doesn't need to be anything crazy fast.

Sons of Guns is filming now and shooting exclusively the Magnum Rimfires. They were happy to get much bigger booms in a smaller package.

While Sure Shot hasn't been around as long, but is a pretty big company, really. Tom Knapp and other big shooters use them in their shooting exhibitions. Sure Shot is actually manufactured in Maryland...support local businesses :D.

30ought6

#PING!
    Sep 10, 2010
    VA
    If I remember correctly, the projectile must impact the Tannerite with a minimum velocity of 2000 ft/s.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    7mm Remington magnum will set it off at 800 yards,......if you hit the jar.

You were WAY out of line with Ed, who is a walking, talking, DOING encyclopedia of shooting, hunting, trapping, gunsmithing, etc. and has schooled many shooters formally and informally in the art of long range shooting.

Good luck

Jerry

i know i can find it anywhere. i was just wondering if there was some place local people went to get it. i'd seen some places advertise that they made a low enery variant or something. I don't really care what its made of..just that it goes boom.
    Other locations for tannerite Zig's Place in Odenton or contact through bleedingzombies.com. I also carry the bleeding zombies; just something new to blow up

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    If you are looking for a supplier on the shore, I carry the exploding targets as well. Check out Mid County Gunshop on Facebook to see a few videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom