• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    It's a really nice facility.

Trap and skeet are $5/round ($4 with the 10 ticket booklet). 5 stand and sporting clays are more. Ammo prices aren't terrible, but it can be had cheaper at walmart (if there's any there) and you can bring your own ammo.

It can get busy on the weekends and I would check their calendar for events, but in my experience, weeknights after work it's not crowded at all.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've visited, but never shot there. Facilities are great and it's not too busy.

I'll learn to shoot T&S one of these days.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Was going about once or twice a month when the weather was nice.

"How are the facilities?" I only have smaller places to compare it to (single field clubs). There are a handful of active Trap, Skeep, and sporting clays stations.

Trap and skeet stations have concrete walkways for the shooting positions and a low bunker for the clays. Staff refills at regular intervals.

Skeet has concrete shooters stations and enclosed towers for the throwers. I'd like to shoot skeet, but even though it has been explained to me a few times, it makes no sense. Rarely see enough people shooting when I go to join in and get a feel of it.

Sporting clays: they have throwers set up in various positions, and platforms for shooters. Looks like someone (not sure if another shooter or employee) triggers the throws. Haven't tried it myself, but watched a group of 5 and it looked very fun.

They've got a big indoor area for resting, bathrooms, refreshments, rentals, sales.

How busy is it: Varies. I've never been on a weekend. Tend to go on weekdays early/late afternoon. Got a bit crowded when school let out once.

Experiences: all good. shot trap alone, with friendly strangers, with friendly staff memebers on break.

They do have rules on barrel length. greater than 22" i believe. was annoyed by that at first since I only had a HD shotgun i wanted to use, but after renting some nice shotguns, i figured I would go often enough to justify a dedicated sporting shotgun.

Korfu

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys - I should have maybe mentioned that I am a newbie to this as well.

I have done target clays when I was younger at a family friends farm (Western NY) I know I enjoyed it and am looking to get into it.

Again thanks for the input.

case XX

Jun 19, 2008
    AA County
    It's a nice facility, the sporting clays stations use cards so that is nice. As for how busy they get it depends on when you go and what you intend to shoot. I shoot the SC course and it is rarely busy seems like the trap and skeet stations can be a little busier at times but I haven't ever paid much attention as I don't normally shoot trap or skeet.

As for other spots to go, it again depends on what you want to shoot. I go to PG or Bull Run normally both of these are nice facilities. I have also been to Pintail Point which was nice but a few dollars more. I shoot SC at all of these.

For Trap I have been to 3 Rivers Sportsmens Club here in Harwood which is cheap but it can get very busy and they only have public shoots on Thursday evenings.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Don't be afraid to ask questions at the range. They're generally very helpful to new folks.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I have shot there a few times. It's a nice facility with nice staff. I haven't done the sporting clays course yet, but hope to soon. I wish it was closer to me.

If you are new, just ask the staff for help. They are good people.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Don't be afraid to ask questions at the range. They're generally very helpful to new folks.

This.

I go there every so often for trap (I SUCK at skeet, at least I can keep trap in the 20s). I learned to shoot trap there with a friend and I learned to shoot skeet there when I asked one of the staff one day. Really helpful people especially when it's not busy. During the weekday evenings, it can be a ghost town. Weekends have been hit or miss for me.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A word of caution:
    There's a thread on here somewhere talking about a guy who almost got his very expensive shotgun stolen at PG trap. He was on the sporting clays course and had set his gun in the rack. Another group left the station and "accidentally" picked up his gun. The guy ran him down and the guy who took it was apologetic and said it was a mistake. You'd have to read the thread (which I can't happen to find right now) for the details but it was an obvious attempted theft.

I'm kind of stupid sometimes and think that everyone at the range is one big happy fraternity. The only time when I get my Spidey senses up is when I leave to make sure no one is following me. After reading the thread, I'm more on my toes to make sure a "fellow shooter" doesn't walk off with my cherished double barrel. I've never encountered anyone who looked like they were there to steal instead of shoot but you never know.

Korfu

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanks for the tip. I try to as a practice never leave my weapon out of my site when at a range unless a trusted friend is watching it, that and I have only a "cheap" 870 but I bet its more opportunity then desire in these kind of situations.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I shoot there on Federal holidays when Greenbelt has their club skeet meets and a few times a year we pop over from Goddard and instead of lunch shoot a round or two of skeet. Their clays course is nice too.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    The PGCSSC is a great venue.

Trap, skeet, sporting clays, five stand and the variations thereof.
    Gun rental is cheap, ammo is reasonable, tickets are available cheaper by the book.
    They have a nice clubhouse with a small accessory showrroom.
    Open to the public and free to visit.

Head down there and shoot whenever you get the chance.

Korfu

Nov 12, 2012
    Seems everyone really likes it there. I am definitely going to check it out. Thanks again to all of you for the info/advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom