• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Have built a Stag southpaw from a stripped upper. Only gripe is the upsidedown port door- it can interfere with optics, but it's the only part that isn't mirrored. One could argue it's not really necessary anyway. Plus they make southpaw .308s.
    Otherwise have no complaints.

Attachments

• stagsouthpaw.JPG
      stagsouthpaw.JPG
      9.5 KB · Views: 55

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I used stag receiver set and bolt for my friends build. There were certain things I wanted to use so it was a complete build up. Works very good and I’d suspect you could buy a complete upper. Awhile back I bought a complete 3g stag upper and it shoots very tight groups.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Stag would be the manufacturer I would go to for a lefty AR. I have built a few of them and Scott from Scott's gunsmithing built a lefty upper for me that is an incredible shooter.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    A few years ago I had a conversation with a high-ranking retired Army officer. He talked about the military trying to make a left-handed M16. Basically be called the project fruitless and the Army gave up. He claimed there was too much involved and the way the M16 system worked it wasn't feasible for the military to pursue a lefty M16. It's been a while ago and I don't recall the specifics. It seems that with all the AR's out there, there'd be more lefties. It was just a conversation, I can't say one way or the other but it's an interesting topic.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A few years ago I had a conversation with a high-ranking retired Army officer. He talked about the military trying to make a left-handed M16. Basically be called the project fruitless and the Army gave up. He claimed there was too much involved and the way the M16 system worked it wasn't feasible for the military to pursue a lefty M16. It's been a while ago and I don't recall the specifics. It seems that with all the AR's out there, there'd be more lefties. It was just a conversation, I can't say one way or the other but it's an interesting topic.
    It probably wasn't worth all the BS to test, evaluate and source a specific rifle for a relatively small group of individuals.

A lefty AR works the same as any other AR, except the bolt rotates the opposite way. So, you need left handed bolts and carriers. It also helps to have ambidextrous barrel extensions or a left handed bolt will chew the extension up and possibly fail earlier because of the additional stresses put on it until it "wears" itself in.

It's an additional supply and logistics problem that really doesn't need to exist. About the only time it sucks shooting a right handed AR is when it's suppressed and you get gassed in the face. My lefty guns are what I shoot suppressed, primarily. My right handed guns have adjustable gas blocks so I can minimize the gas to the face, if need be.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    It probably wasn't worth all the BS to test, evaluate and source a specific rifle for a relatively small group of individuals.

A lefty AR works the same as any other AR, except the bolt rotates the opposite way. So, you need left handed bolts and carriers. It also helps to have ambidextrous barrel extensions or a left handed bolt will chew the extension up and possibly fail earlier because of the additional stresses put on it until it "wears" itself in.

It's an additional supply and logistics problem that really doesn't need to exist. About the only time it sucks shooting a right handed AR is when it's suppressed and you get gassed in the face. My lefty guns are what I shoot suppressed, primarily. My right handed guns have adjustable gas blocks so I can minimize the gas to the face, if need be.
    So you're a lefty and use mostly righty builds. I'm fine with brass flying by, but yes, this build may end up with a whisper pickle on it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So you're a lefty and use mostly righty builds. I'm fine with brass flying by, but yes, this build may end up with a whisper pickle on it.
    An adjustable gas block or the correct combination of buffer weights and sprinco springs can really make the gas negligible.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County

Yes, that's right! That's how I remember the conversation going.
    Citing what the government does is only good conversation.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am a left handed shooter too. I used to look at buying/building left handed rifles/handguns etc…
    I decided to train/use right handed firearms instead. My reasoning is that in a SHTF situation I am most likely to encounter right handed weapons. I want to be proficient and able to use them without having to retrain.

That being said, I may put together a left handed precision rifle for the few times a year I go long range shooting.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Thank god for the ability to customize our ARs, my AR is your stock right-handed build it ejects to the right, with some lefty add ones like an extended bolt release for my left finger to actuate, ambi mag release I do right-handed retaining reloads using my thumb to activate the stock button and use my left finger for combat reloads to drop the mag to the ground or for those retaining L reloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom