• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    How do you like it? What brand do you have? How do you clean the gas tube after shooting? Mags (price, availability, brand reliability)?

I might pick one up soon for one of my lonely lowers.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I was wondering how the 5.45 upper likes Milsurp corrosive ammo. any problems with FTF???

I have heard that you might have to install a heavier hammer spring since milsurp primers can be hard.

Other than that, I would also like to know how milsurp runs in a new upper. The main reason I was looking at them was due to cheap ammo.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have the S&W havent had a chance to shoot it yet, and just configured it with a carry handle. Setting up another lower to swap with it and my 7.62*39 upper since both run stuff with hard primers.

I think CDNN still has them for $499 shipped with mags. You will probably have to find an out of state address given the 30rd mags. They also have a good supply of C-products mags.

One thing about an AR is you cant beat cleaning them with corrosive ammo. Remove bolt, pour soapy water barrel and receiver, spray some down the gas tube, dry, lube. Spray bolt down with soapy water, hose down with remoil to displace moister, replace. Rock and roll

Only bummer is ammo, more will be coming in but the price is edging up, its about the only caliber I am currently stocking up like World War Z is coming for.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think CDNN still has them for $499 shipped with mags.
    Not on the website anymore, and didn't see any in the catalog.

I pondered going the 5.45x39 upper route, but eventually decided that it just wasn't worth the $600-$650 they run these days. If I ever find an amazing trade or whatever, I'd consider it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Last I heard, Spike's Tactical wasn't going to make anymore. Didn't sell well. *facepalm* People always seem to blow the timing with 5.45x39... but this year, I finally made sure I was prepared.

nyc71

May 14, 2012
    Mine eats any ammo I feed it. It comes with the an extra power spring for hard primers. It recently had a makeover. The only extra cleaning step I do is rinse the barrel with hot water, the bcg get dip in hot water also.
    Before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342253997.195485.jpg
    After
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342254031.708288.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Last I heard, Spike's Tactical wasn't going to make anymore. Didn't sell well. *facepalm* People always seem to blow the timing with 5.45x39... but this year, I finally made sure I was prepared.

You can always get on Aims list if they come in they will email you, they will also remove the nasty 30rd mag. My original plan was to buy a Spikes but I couldnt walk away from the CDNN price and it is a well built upper. Hope to get it out soon.

Now if we would just get another large shipment of ammo!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I traded my saiga 5.45, but I still have somewhere around 900 rounds in an ammo can somewhere I think. Don't have anything that can shoot it...

Rambo66

Jun 11, 2012
    Broken Arrow Oklahoma
    I have a Model 1 sales 5.45x39 upper it shoot good. The only thing I had to do was get a heaved hammer spring and install it regular AR springs cause ligth primer strikes.

I had to do the same with my 762x39 upper as well.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Like others, I have one. Mine is the S&W, it runs great! I use the C products mags.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Question here about the mags I have regular AR15 mags and the 5.45x39 rds load in fine and seem to come out ok with my thumb Is there a feed problem in the 545 upper with 556 mags?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Question here about the mags I have regular AR15 mags and the 5.45x39 rds load in fine and seem to come out ok with my thumb Is there a feed problem in the 545 upper with 556 mags?

Havent tested it but the options are limited, have a stack of C products mags.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    5.56 magazines won't reliably feed with a full load of 5.45. How much they will work with depends heavily on magazine variables like the exact follower and the spring strength.

I'll put myself on AimSurplus' list for the Spike's upper, but like I said, doubt I'll see it anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom