• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I got a cheap 22 that I want to shorten the barrel and recrown. Anyone have the tools to do an at home DIY crown job? Beer, burgers, or maybe ammo could be exchanged for your help !

sudo4re

Jul 8, 2013
    I have the tools to do a .45 but not a .22. You can buy the brass pilot for the correct caliber from Brownell's (I'm at work so I can't link to Brownell's) and I think the tools I have should work. I did my .45's and they turned out great but I can't find the pilots for 9mm which is what I want to do next. Where are you located?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have the tools to do a .45 but not a .22. You can buy the brass pilot for the correct caliber from Brownell's (I'm at work so I can't link to Brownell's) and I think the tools I have should work. I did my .45's and they turned out great but I can't find the pilots for 9mm which is what I want to do next. Where are you located?
    I’m fine buying a pilot!

I’m in Anne Arundel county near Odenton, you?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    what 22 is it?
    I have a microgroove Marlin 22XT, shot pretty good. Had professional gunsmith shorten it and thread barrel. Shoots like crap now.
    Someone told me the rifling is tapered near the muzzle or something like that.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    what 22 is it?
    I have a microgroove Marlin 22XT, shot pretty good. Had professional gunsmith shorten it and thread barrel. Shoots like crap now.
    Someone told me the rifling is tapered near the muzzle or something like that.
    Rossi RS-22M. It’s a cheap gun so no harm no foul if I booger it up. I definitely don’t want to spend $100+ having a smith do it. Likely not a precision shooter anyways. Just want it as spare to shoot some squirrel and fox.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have a muzzle crowning/ cutter tool.
    What I dont have is a 211 pilot for it.
    Because most barrels are tapered, try squares will not even allow a nice square cut/marking off
    Besides the bore is better for squaring off too and that will happen as the depth increases burnishing takes place.
    What I would do is cut/part it, then final burnish it with a lead ball and 600 grit compound.
    The problem with a lot of these so called brass screws that are commonly found today is that they are not entirely brass.
    Makes it harder for the compound to stick too and they most often have a slot.
    A glass marble will work too in a pinch but harder to turn with a drill motor for larger bores
    So will various cupro nickle pulled projies if your careful, use a loupe- dont get too nuts.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Like Doc said…the bore is best way to true it. A muzzle facing tool…or accurate setup in a lathe…is the only way to ensue the muzzle face is perpendicular to the bore. To lap, a jacketed bullet a couple caliber sizes larger could be used. A ball lap (suggested) is available a Brownells also.

Ball or taper laps are $13-18, pilot for the Brownells cutters are $26-29. Together about what a gunsmith would charge you. Only caveat is the muzzle cutter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom