• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    My wife is currently a contractor for the DOD and has the chance to go alone as a sub, anyone here do this? Any advice ? I run my own company so we have an idea on most of the pitfalls but with this being a gov thing we are expecting there to be some oddball requirements.

Any help gladly accepted, feel free to pm if you prefer

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Get certified as a 8a women owned small business and she will get tons of Contracts. The big companies will beg her to let them sub to her. Just remember her Company would still have to do 51,% of the work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    My friend set one up to work for the air force a few years ago. It was just her and she was sub to a large prime contractor. she said the hardest part was getting the paperwork and CAGE code and other DOD requirements completed. I think it took her almost a year to go from a 1099 employee to a true company. I'm not sure what the benefit was but within a couple years she just started to work for the air force due to conflict of interest issues.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My brother in-law got some small contracts to do tree work on a military base. It took him over a year to get paid for doing the work. It really put him in a bad spot. He doesn't do government contracts anymore.

Exactly why the guy who mows my lawn stopped doing mowing and snow removal for several county governments. Was taking six to nine months to get paid, and then only after repeated phone calls, multiple invoices, and the occasional collection agency.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    My wife is currently a contractor for the DOD and has the chance to go alone as a sub, anyone here do this? Any advice ? I run my own company so we have an idea on most of the pitfalls but with this being a gov thing we are expecting there to be some oddball requirements.

Any help gladly accepted, feel free to pm if you prefer

I run my own contacting business with in the DoD doing IT work. We are currently 5 guys but we are growing, which is a good thing. Setting the business up is the easy part, same as getting a DUNS number and Federal Tax EIN. Obtaining a facility clearance is going to be difficult unless you have a company willing to sponsor you for it.

Getting paid as a sub is easy, typically they allow you to bill every two weeks as a small business if you are working under a large prime. Sometimes even another small business will do this for you as well but she will need to ask.

While I absolutely agree that not all small businesses are created equal, we are a SDVOSB, obtaining a 8(a) status is a nightmare that will take about 2 years to get. She can self-certify in SAM as a woman owned small business and still get preference when bidding on work, but 8(a) allows for up to 4 mil without a solicitation process, which is why people run to 8(a) companies.

I will say that it is a lot of work on the front end to get things established as well as maintained from a security perspective. If they are willing to sub work to her, she should just do 1099 work and dictate her bill rate. During that time, establish the company and if the opportunity presents itself then onboard others.

nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    i tried to start my own contracting business a few years ago and realized it is a lot of work and I didn't have the time to fully put in. I wish i had stuck with it as that is one of my goals in life is to have my own IT contracting business to the DoD.

Here are some links to some info I used.
    http://www.acq.osd.mil/osbp/sb/dod.shtml
    http://www.dat.state.md.us/businesses/Pages/Maryland-Checklist-for-New-Businesses.aspx
    http://www.acq.osd.mil/osbp/docs/subcontracting_the_basics.pdf
    https://egov.maryland.gov/businessexpress

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom