• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XFireBowstrings

Custom String Maker
    Nov 26, 2011
    Denton MD
    I never bowhunt in January, cause my skinny behind doesn't like the cold, plus my freezer is normally full from sept/oct bowhunting..

The last 2 years I've stayed away from deer hunting as much as possible because of 3 ruptured lumbar disc.. But I know January and a corn pile can be quite fun!! I'm not going, just wondering who is? I'm getting lots of guys who are hanging it up for the year and getting complete rebuilds early to save on the last minute rush prior to next season opener...

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Going Friday and saw a group of bucks last week while I was out. I hunt until the very last day. Freezer is already full but I prefer to hang my deer 5-7 days and January seems to be the only time that is any good for that. With that said some currently frozen roasts will become bologna if I get one or two (or three if I'm lucky) more. Also I have 2 guys that each want a deer so maybe I need 5 more :)

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Going Friday and saw a group of bucks last week while I was out. I hunt until the very last day. Freezer is already full but I prefer to hang my deer 5-7 days and January seems to be the only time that is any good for that. With that said some currently frozen roasts will become bologna if I get one or two (or three if I'm lucky) more. Also I have 2 guys that each want a deer so maybe I need 5 more :)

You can just quarter them and put them in the fridge for aging. I read about an experiment years ago, where they determined that the hanging part did little advantage to the aging process of the meat. I hang mine long enough to skin and quarter them (all of a half hour) then on to the fridge for the week.

MH

XFireBowstrings

Custom String Maker
    Nov 26, 2011
    Denton MD
    wet aging to me is easier.... Thaw out a couple steaks in the fridge about 7days prior to grilling, it sits in it's own juices for that time. The fibers break down during that time, I've done it with Sika,Elk and Whitetails, it seems this sitting in it's own juices give it a better flavor as well...

Just did it to some butterfly backstrap steaks, added McCormick Smoke House Maple as a dry rub and thought I had a RibEye on the plate!!:party29:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    You can just quarter them and put them in the fridge for aging. I read about an experiment years ago, where they determined that the hanging part did little advantage to the aging process of the meat. I hang mine long enough to skin and quarter them (all of a half hour) then on to the fridge for the week.

MH

If I had a spare fridge for that I would be all about it. Constant temp is better than outside but I don't have the extra fridge so outside they go. As for aging them for 7 days after taking out of the freezer so I don't have to age them prior, I never think that far in advance. :innocent0

Headed out around 1400 today to see what I can see. Hopefully get one of those big does I've been seeing.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    why do you hang your deer?

It allows rigor mortis to pass, and your meat starts to break down, which tenderizes it. Most guys that can, age their meat for 7-10 days before cutting it up for the freezer.

BTW I diagree with "aging" in its own juices. generally you want to pull the blood out of the meat, which means you should at least defrost in ice water.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I may get the itch to head back out with RednekRebel. I usually call it a season after late rifle, but if the opportunity comes up I'll head out. Hell I wanna go out and hold the camera while Rebel shoots one.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    I don't bow hunt yet but hope to soon. Just need to figure out what kind of bow to get. The research process has begun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    with all the hunting...still seeing dead deer on the side of the road bothers me...as its such a waste of a tasty animal...

imho this is due to trophy hunters
    too many people wont take a doe or small buck

if you want to control population, kill the does

dont allow the harvest of any bucks until at least 1 doe has been taken

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads