• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coldvayne13

Jun 4, 2013
    I don't know if this is the best place for this thread but does anyone else use frog lube? I like the way it works and the fact it's not as harsh and the metal absorbs it but I have the question of how often everyone uses the solvent and actually just does a full treatment to it? I know I over do it but I clean after every time I shoot, because I don't shoot as often as I wish I could. With that said, is there a time or round count you guys go by? Or just when it gets dirty or when problems arise or what? I've seen torture videos and I know guns can be run really hard with a lot of rounds through them without failure but that's not the best thing I'm sure, idk just starting conversation really, I'm curious. Also, I guess, besides going through unnecessary frog lube, is it counterproductive or anything after every time? Thanks everyone.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Oh hell, here come the flames.

That being said: use the solvent sparingly, regardless of the lube you use. General wipe downs after the range are fine, clean the bore once accuracy starts to drop, and do detailed cleanings when things start feeling gritty or you've had an exceptionally long training session.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Skip the froglube.

Hornady One-Shot is the best I have seen in testing. I use ballistol, and will buy Mobile 1 synthetic for a lube next.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I use Frog Lube on all my equipment, and my girlfriend says she loves the smell of my Glock.

Plus, it leaves my hands soft.

OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    I've read that over time Frog lube becomes very sticky over time.

That's my major concern with oils and lubes used on my guns. I keep them dry so I'm not too worried about corrosion but I have used commonly used gun lubes which gum up the actions and trigger components over time.

I had two embarassing situations with sticky gun lube. In one case I took a shotgun out of the gun locker and took it out to shoot with friends. Got there and only one barrel would fire because the other's mechanism was gummed up. The second time was I took a suppressed 10/22 to the range for a public shoot and the chamber had been wiped down with lube in previous months and it jammed over and over because of sticky lube.

Now I always re-clean my guns the day before shooting. But I'm always looking for a lube which doesn't turn to tar in a few months.

fordtruck317

Apr 9, 2011
    Middle River
    I have used frog lube for about a year. It is great to protect the finish while storing your firearms however it does get thick and has similar properties of syrup. I took a friend shooting and had the firing pin gum up and cause misfires from light primer strikes. I am switching back to oil.

Coldvayne13

Jun 4, 2013
    I use Frog Lube on all my equipment, and my girlfriend says she loves the smell of my Glock.

Plus, it leaves my hands soft.

Unintended or not, I see what you did therelmao and yea I noticed the "stickiness" to it also but I've never had any issues and after a few round everywhere that I see turns wet again so I assumed that was just it working the way it was intended. Like I said I store it a lot because I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like so I liked that it had longevity for that purpose. I like seeing everyone opinions though and I've heard of fire clean but I've never used it, maybe when I run out of frog lube?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    If you are having performance issues, it's probably because you are not doing it right.

It's not like Alan six. You don't slather Frog Lube all over. Instead, you lightly coat it, while its warm... like a well seasoned, cast iron skillet.

Read the directions.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Unintended or not, I see what you did therelmao and yea I noticed the "stickiness" to it also but I've never had any issues and after a few round everywhere that I see turns wet again so I assumed that was just it working the way it was intended. Like I said I store it a lot because I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like so I liked that it had longevity for that purpose. I like seeing everyone opinions though and I've heard of fire clean but I've never used it, maybe when I run out of frog lube?

If you are having performance issues, it's probably because you are not doing it right.

It's not like Alan six. You don't slather Frog Lube all over. Instead, you lightly coat it, while its warm... like a well seasoned, cast iron skillet.

Read the directions.

He did it again

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Here is a write up from my AR Class about lubes. IMO, Frog Lube is a terrible gun lubricant. I have tested it thoroughly and its probably one of the worst things to use on a firearm next to WD40 in my experience.

There’s a ton of wonder lubes, cleaners, and protectants on the market. Many will say how great they smell, how they are safer to use and some go as far as saying they can be consumed safety. Some will say how they are natural, or water based and therefore “safer”. That’s all fine and dandy but as soon as your gun is fired with “hippie” lube it’s contaminated with carbon and lead. When you shoot a gun you’re going to breathe nasty stuff. You will live, just wash your hands before you eat or drink. At some point you have to clean the firearm, so the “edible, natural, non-toxic” pitch is sort of moot wouldn’t you say? People say, well I use it so I don’t have to use gloves when I clean or lube my guns. Well, you should anyway, whether its “hippie lube” or “capitalist pig blood”. What many fail to realize is organic based lubricants will break down and can become corrosive over time. Then you will hear people say how things like “don’t use Motor Oil, it is a carcinogen”. That’s not true; petroleum products are not harmful until they are contaminated. Used motor oil is unsafe, not fresh motor oil. Fresh Crisco is safe, dump some lead residue and carbon in it, and it is no longer safe. If your lube says you need to use a hair dryer, have to measure its application, pray, or do special dances it’s probably ********. If too much of a “super lube” is bad then the lube itself might be bad. If the lube turns to goo when you mix it with regular gun lubes it’s not really that practical is it? You shouldn’t have to worry about using another product reacting poorly when used in place of “pixie dust hippie lube”. There is no one product that does everything well, if you use a CLP it’s not going to be the best lube, best cleaner, and the best protectant but it will work to keep an AR running. I prefer to use several products that are well suited for their task, are easy to use and apply, and don’t break the bank.

In the end people don't usually want to be educated, they buy into hype of products, especially ones they have spent hard earned money on. It usually takes someone learning the hard way. Hopefully no one has a problem with their lube when the REALLY need that gun to work.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Try taking things slow. Put on some Barry White, have a bottle of your frog's favorite wine ready, dim the lights. When the time is right, you won't need any lube.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I like a combo of fireclean because it makes cleanup very fast and easy, and mobil 1 for lube

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I have been using Frog Lube since it came out and like it. Not sure how people are getting it to gum up and what not. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I'm sure there are better products out there, but in my experience, Frog Lube works just fine.

Similar stuff is used commercially on roller coasters. Don't think theme parks would be using acidic crap that would gum up wheels on roller coasters now, do we? People say all kinds of things about gun lube products (see that craptastic Miltec-1), but unless I see scientific test results, I wouldn't pay much attention.

OP: Try just wiping down your guns with a little lube after shooting. Clean when they're actually dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom