• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve got a second hand Google Pixel 3a and I’m thinking about installing Graphine OS. I’m interested in just testing it out to see if it can function as a secure backup phone.

The whole reason I even know about Graphine is someone here at MDS had posted a while back. What I would really like to know is, how well does it work.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Yes, GrapheneOS on Pixel 4A here.

Works great. I use F-Droid and Aurora to get the apps I need.

I use Signal, which doubles as the SMS app.

Did you have any other questions?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yes, GrapheneOS on Pixel 4A here.

Works great. I use F-Droid and Aurora to get the apps I need.

I use Signal, which doubles as the SMS app.

Did you have any other questions?

Yes, it may be a dumb question but I couldn’t figure out where to find the apps that I wanted to use on fdroid. I couldn’t find Signal or proton mail anywhere.

I also wondered if there is a secure app to use for driving directions that you might recommend.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Yes, it may be a dumb question but I couldn’t figure out where to find the apps that I wanted to use on fdroid. I couldn’t find Signal or proton mail anywhere.

I also wondered if there is a secure app to use for driving directions that you might recommend.

Quick Brave search reveals Protonmail apk here:
    https://protonapps.com/protonmail-android

F-Droid here:
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.fdroid.fdroid/

Once you get those you can get Signal and any other Open Source app. Aurora is a proxy for Google Play. Download anything there that doesn't require Google Play Services.

For driving I use OSMAnd. It sucks compared to Waze or Google Maps but it's better than nothing. For free you can get directions but not voice. I think voice turn-by-turn is subscription.

I also recommend:
    AntennaPod for podcasts
    ProtonVPN
    Tusky for Mastodon
    VLC

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Quick Brave search reveals Protonmail apk here:
    https://protonapps.com/protonmail-android

F-Droid here:
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.fdroid.fdroid/

Once you get those you can get Signal and any other Open Source app. Aurora is a proxy for Google Play. Download anything there that doesn't require Google Play Services.

For driving I use OSMAnd. It sucks compared to Waze or Google Maps but it's better than nothing. For free you can get directions but not voice. I think voice turn-by-turn is subscription.

I also recommend:
    AntennaPod for podcasts
    ProtonVPN
    Tusky for Mastodon
    VLC

Ok Now I see. I didn’t realize you can simply download an app directly without using fdroid.

I already have OSMAnd, and I agree it’s lackluster, but it’s probably better than nothing.

Did you stick with the Vanadium browser or do you use firefox?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well I was able to install pretty much all of the basic apps I would need in a pinch. I don't have any previous experience with Android so I'm still trying to learn the system, but so far it seems to work just fine.

I'm wondering if I just got a sim with a data only plan and paid cash, I could probably use mySudo to make voice calls when needed. There really wouldn't be much personal information that could be exposed.

Do you know if the phone pings cell towers at all when off or in airplane mode? If not then, my personal identity would be somewhat obscured.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Airplane mode on android shuts off all radios. You can turn them selectively back on. Like re-eneable wifi or bluetooth but not cellular.
    My samsung & google phones when off are really off. I don't think any android phone powers the radios when truly off.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Airplane mode on android shuts off all radios. You can turn them selectively back on. Like re-eneable wifi or bluetooth but not cellular.
    My samsung & google phones when off are really off. I don't think any android phone powers the radios when truly off.

It makes sense but I read stories of people in the “business” that place their phones in Faraday bags before they get home, just to ensure that the device cannot be tracked to their home. Once at home, they use other means to communicate, but not their mobile device.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If someone installed spyware/virus on your phone, it could override your airplane mode setting and leave a radio transmitting. Very much like how spyware can turn on your PC webcam w/o activating the light. So if in the "business" I could understand how one needs to take extra precautions in case of a compromised device.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Well I was able to install pretty much all of the basic apps I would need in a pinch. I don't have any previous experience with Android so I'm still trying to learn the system, but so far it seems to work just fine.
    I've found the most recent version of Android to be very friendly. Even the menu names are more hip like "Internet" instead of networking.
    I'm wondering if I just got a sim with a data only plan and paid cash, I could probably use mySudo to make voice calls when needed. There really wouldn't be much personal information that could be exposed.
    That is the safesr way, but not anonymous. If you have a mobile plan attached to a phone then you have an IMEI number which can be tracked.

So the safer way to use it with a data-only plan is always use a VPN or TOR.

The safest way would be to use wifi only. It changes the MAC address every time you connect to wifi (unless you tell it not to like for home wifi). So using public wifi with a VPN or TOR would be virtually untraceable.

Do you know if the phone pings cell towers at all when off or in airplane mode?
    This was one of the criticisms of GrapheneOS in earlier versions. They used Google DNS to test for internet connectivity. They have since changed that to only test against their own servers. They promise it is private and they don't keep logs, but we have no way to verify that.

I don't think it does anything in airplane mode. The source code is available so you could download it yourself and verify but the guys who wrote GrapheneOS are very serious about privacy.

Also, remember that you can make phone calls, and even video, with Signal, which is very safe. Signal only keeps the metadata that you contacted someone but they do not keep the messages or any data exchanged between parties.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    If someone installed spyware/virus on your phone, it could override your airplane mode setting and leave a radio transmitting. Very much like how spyware can turn on your PC webcam w/o activating the light. So if in the "business" I could understand how one needs to take extra precautions in case of a compromised device.

Not for GrapheneOS. They took the base OS of Android and then hacked the hell out of it to make it safe, even from applications. You have to grant applications access to certain features, like camera, and it will remind you from time-to-time this app has access to that feature. Apps run in their own space and can't share data unless you grant them permission to do so. That's built into the OS.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Reading all this makes me want to throw my cellie away! Lol

Yes, it can get rather tinfoil quickly. The question is really up to you: how much personal data do you want to share and with whom?

If you don't care about anything then get an iPhone, use Facebag and leave location services on.

I tried the exact opposite up until last year I was using a flip phone for voice and text only. My wife would get annoyed I couldn't have these long drawn-out conversations over SMS. So I compromised and got the Pixel 4A with GrapheneOS. I believe this to be the best way currently to keep as much of your personal data private as possible but still have some use in modern society. I stay away from apps which I know I can't trust, like face-bag and twatter. F-Droid provides an index of apps which are only Open Source and gives a quick privacy review of each app. There's usually at least 1 app that does what I need that I can trust.

Yes I know it's not fool-proof and it is a compromise. The goal for me is to reduce my digital footprint as much as possible, especially outside of my home.

Let us remember that the FBI was using cell phone logs to track down people who happened to be near the Capitol building on January 6, 2020. If your cellphone was there then you are likely on a list by the FBI who recently put out a bulletin stating that they would start observing US citizens who did not trust the government.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Can you install this OS on some of the cheaper android phones such as those offered by consumer cellular? (ZTE, Zmax 10, Galaxy A12, Avid 589)

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Can you install this OS on some of the cheaper android phones such as those offered by consumer cellular? (ZTE, Zmax 10, Galaxy A12, Avid 589)

They have other OS's similar to GrapheneOS like Lineage. Only GrapheneOS does as much to protect your privacy but Lineage isn't bad for this either if you need a non-Pixel phone.

A new Pixle 4A costs about $280 refurbished on Amazon.

Also, I have a metal case for a Pixel 4A if anyone wants it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083N5DD7K/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom