• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hey guys. Just bought a PSA PA Marauder 7" 556 pistol. I no it will be loud. ok. Would you have any concerns about its effectiveness in a home defense situation.
    I am reading where the bullets wont tumble at home defense lengths, it wont be accurate past 50 yards, yadda yadda.
    My question I no it will be loud. ok again. Will a 55 grain hollowpoint end a threat quickly or does it have to come out of a 10.5to 16 inch barrel. Thank you, Bud

USAF05

Just one more gun...
    Sep 26, 2022
    Andrews AF
    I have a Saint Victor pistol 7.5". Yes loud is an understatement, also shoots a flame about a foot from the barrel, but didn't notice any performance issues at 50 yards and closer. I didn't try further as my optic wasn't really great at the time. Im using it for home defense, I would think you would be fine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hey guys. Just bought a PSA PA Marauder 7" 556 pistol. I no it will be loud. ok. Would you have any concerns about its effectiveness in a home defense situation.
    I am reading where the bullets wont tumble at home defense lengths, it wont be accurate past 50 yards, yadda yadda.
    My question I no it will be loud. ok again. Will a 55 grain hollowpoint end a threat quickly or does it have to come out of a 10.5to 16 inch barrel. Thank you, Bud
    A couple considerations, first is that really short 5.56 ARs can be VERY tempermental because of the short gas system and dwell, you can have something that might be way overgassed on one load, and not function with another. If you plan on using it for defense obviously it has to be 100%. I would suggest heavy bullets, 69-80gr, better performance at low velocities, less powder so less blast/flash, more efficient in short barrels, and tend to have more consistent port pressure and a little more dwell than lighter 55gr. The wounding mechanism of a long bullet tumbling will be better, and more reliable than fragmentation or expansion at low velocity. With yaw, the longer the bullet, the better. Of course the shorter the barrel, the more 300BO has an advantage over 5.56. I LOVE my 6" 300BO, especially suppressed, but even running without a can it is far more pleasant to shoot, and on paper has much better ballistics than short 5.56 ARs, and is much more friendly than even my 10.5" 5.56.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had a 7.5" 556. The accuracy was abysmal, the noise was obnoxious, the basketball sized fireball was entertaining, but I got rid of it. Off topic but the shortest I would go is a 14.5" barrel in 556. Have you considered a 10.5" 300blk. A 220gr round packs a lot of punch, no fireball, and the noise is normal.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I built one about 10 years ago. Kind of a novelty. Just a loud range toy. Haven’t used it in years. Actually, my 10.5 SBR is my favorite AR, despite the added noise.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a couple, but they are (IIRC) 11.5" barrels.
    1 PWS and 1 DD.
    Accuracy is great out to 100 yards (I've not tried farther).
    No appreciable difference in blast noise or flame from the standard AR per my review. I've not shot in an enclosed space but at dusk outside muzzle flash was not an issue.

PWS and Noveske make muzzle devices the channel that stuff forward, if that's an issue.

IIRC I read something years ago where 11.5 (or so) was the sweet spot for an AR pistol. And maybe the sweet spot for a SBR with a suppressor.

I actually prefer my AR pistols over my AR rifles for some areas.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You would be better off with the sub 2k you have in the classifieds. You will be deaf (you KNOW it will be loud) and hope you dont set the house on fire.
    That is just my opinion.

You would be better off with the sub 2k you have in the classifieds. You will be deaf (you KNOW it will be loud) and hope you dont set the house on fire.
    That is just my opinion.
    I agree. The Sub2000 in .40 will be a hell of a lot quieter than a 7" .223/5.56 pistol and will likely have more power as well.
    I don't know the ballistics off the top of my head, but .223/5.56 really loses steam with a barrel under 8.5". An AR .223/5.56 with a 7" barrel would be one of my last choices for a home defense firearm.
    If you want an AR pistol with a short barrel, I highly recommend you look in to a .300 Blackout for a sub 10" barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hornady .223 40g V-Max will probably be your best HD round out of any rifle. Less over penetration with most of its energy expelled inside the body cavity(or house).

Kind of a boring presentation, but informative none the less.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Will a 55 grain hollowpoint end a threat quickly or does it have to come out of a 10.5to 16 inch barrel. Thank you, Bud

" How much is enough ? " is hotly debated , both logically and illogically, and highly personal . So I won't speculate how you feel .

But I will give a comparison.

If you consider a .22WMR 20 inch rifle a premo defensive rifle , a 7 inch .223/ 5.56 is same ballpark .

Dipstix6996

Dec 28, 2009
    MD
    So whats the real question here?? If its just you in the home (no family) who cares how loud it is. An accurately placed bullet, no mater the size, will effectively stop a threat. Bullet doesn't care about barrel length in close quarters

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Swap out the upper for a .300 BLK. Add suppressor, arm brace, and subsonic ammo and you'll have an awesome HD gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom