• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That's not awful, but even with today's prices, I can roll my own for about half of that even with FMJ, plus, I get to choose the loading. I don't typically use FMJ for range fodder though - I use copper plated bullets, and those are even less expensive.

There's no way I'd spend $3190 on 10k rounds of ammo at nearly 32 cents per round unless I had the money to burn, which I don't. For $3100 a person could set themselves up with a first-class reloading setup and enough components to reload 10k rounds, including the brass. (To be fair, components are kind of hard to come by these days, so that's a consideration now.)

I know there are always arguments about the pros and cons of reloading with one argument being that once you account for your time and the cost of the equipment, there's no savings. I've always disagreed with that, but then again, I don't mind the time. Once the Dillon 550 is set up and ready to go, I can reload 100 rounds in about 12-13 minutes, which is actually a pretty moderate speed for a

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's not awful, but even with today's prices, I can roll my own for about half of that even with FMJ, plus, I get to choose the loading. I don't typically use FMJ for range fodder though - I use copper plated bullets, and those are even less expensive.

There's no way I'd spend $3190 on 10k rounds of ammo at nearly 32 cents per round unless I had the money to burn, which I don't. For $3100 a person could set themselves up with a first-class reloading setup and enough components to reload 10k rounds, including the brass. (To be fair, components are kind of hard to come by these days, so that's a consideration now.)

I know there are always arguments about the pros and cons of reloading with one argument being that once you account for your time and the cost of the equipment, there's no savings. I've always disagreed with that, but then again, I don't mind the time. Once the Dillon 550 is set up and ready to go, I can reload 100 rounds in about 12-13 minutes, which is actually a pretty moderate speed for a
    That was a consideration for me when I got in to reloading. Even with just a lee Classic, 15hrs of reloading a year (all steps) nets me all the ammo I shoot and saves maybe $300-500 a year based on the mix of what I shoot. Especially for something I enjoy, that’s well worth my time investment.

If I was shooting a fair amount higher volume I’d get a true progressive and probably double the volume I could reload with the same investment of time. Some more cost, I’d save it in a year or so.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That was a consideration for me when I got in to reloading. Even with just a lee Classic, 15hrs of reloading a year (all steps) nets me all the ammo I shoot and saves maybe $300-500 a year based on the mix of what I shoot. Especially for something I enjoy, that’s well worth my time investment.

If I was shooting a fair amount higher volume I’d get a true progressive and probably double the volume I could reload with the same investment of time. Some more cost, I’d save it in a year or so.
    By some standards, even my setup - a Dillon 550 with 7 tool heads that are currently set up, plus a myriad of other reloading gear (tumbler, media separator, case trimmer, Lee APP for brass processing, etc) is a modest setup, but even with all of that it has more than paid for itself, and as long as I have components, I have ammo. Components used to be impacted less by the whims of the market, but even now powder is selling for a bit more than 2x what it was before this shortage started, primers are close to 2.5x what they were. Bullets have increased a bit, but not a the same rate as components.

Looking back on my childhood, I now see why my Dad reloaded. He liked to shoot, and for him, more was better than less, so that's where he put his time. Not only did he reload, but he also cast his own bullets for almost all of his handgun reloading, so in some cases he was literally paying mere pennies on the dollar in actual monetary outlay for his ammo production.

I wonder what conversations we'd have if he were still alive regarding the current prices of ammo and the scarcity of components. You know it's a weird time when we're actually celebrating finding deals on 9mm ammo at 30¢/round. It wasn't that long ago that I considered not tooling up to load 9mm because it was cheap enough that I wasn't sure I could reload for as cheaply as I could buy it.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I’m one of the guys on the opposite side of the spectrum. I will gladly pay more for the finished product. I have never had any interest in reloading and don’t want the hassle.

I have been stocking up lately, because I don’t think we will see the prices drop any lower. The cost of raw materials are so high, this is the new normal for a very long time.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Not only did he reload, but he also cast his own bullets for almost all of his handgun reloading, so in some cases he was literally paying mere pennies on the dollar in actual monetary outlay for his ammo production.

If you’re fine with shooting cast bullets,and don’t mind spending the time to make them they can definitely save a lot of money. The molds are the most expensive investment. You can get by with just an electric hot plate, some type of cast iron pot/pan, a lead dipper, and a well ventilated (even outside) area.
    Once the lead and the mold gets to temperature, you can roll pretty quickly. A 2 bullet or a 6 bullet gang mold, and you can really crank them out. Obviously Hollow points or hollow bases take a little extra time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’m one of the guys on the opposite side of the spectrum. I will gladly pay more for the finished product. I have never had any interest in reloading and don’t want the hassle.

I have been stocking up lately, because I don’t think we will see the prices drop any lower. The cost of raw materials are so high, this is the new normal for a very long time.
    See my above. Based on the raw materials costs of the various components manufacturers could sell 115gr 9mm ball for roughly 9-11 cents per round. And that isn't figuring in whatever volume discounts they might be getting on buying lead by the hundred ton weights, etc.

That does NOT factor in labor costs, maintaining their equipment, etc.

But 2.5yrs ago, materials costs would be something like 6-7cpr for that 9mm. Yes labor has jumped up, energy prices are up, etc.

But many of those costs have not doubled. So if a manufacturer could be making money selling 9mm brass cased for 14 cents per round pre-pandemic, they should in theory be able to do that at less than double the price.

Again, it'll take demand weakening or supply to jump a lot. But prices have continued trending down without that much flattening out lately. I don't think we will see 20cpr 9mm without raw materials prices and supply chain issues relaxing a lot more. But I think we could easily see 25cpr for brass cased 9mm by the end of the year if there are no major shocks to the ammo or raw materials markets. If supply chain issues continue improving including with raw materials, we might see 9mm in the 21-24cpr range by next summer.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Holee KRAP!

Just got a notice from ammo shop online.com my order will be here …

TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

Placed the order at 8pm on Sat (4/30) evening and going by business days arrival tomorrow (Tue) puts it at basically Next Day (fist pumps)!
    Whoa! Thank you again for the link. They ship fast. Ordered Monday and will receive it on Thursday; shipping from GA.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Grrrr. I hate FedEx. It is now going to be late. FedEx is not going to deliver it until Saturday. I ordered it on Monday. They should not use FedEx. I guess FedEx gives them a big discount.

Last edited:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Holee KRAP!

Just got a notice from ammo shop online.com my order will be here …

TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

Placed the order at 8pm on Sat (4/30) evening and going by business days arrival tomorrow (Tue) puts it at basically Next Day (fist pumps)!
    Did you get it yet or still on the way?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    5 cases arrived at Noon yesterday (Wednesday) and the driver picked up quickly on how unhappy I was and showed me on his handheld where they only loaded 5 cases on his van …

… a call to FedEx (who unlike UPS you actually get through to someone at FedEx (even if it requires you speak Spanish or Hindi :-/ discerned the 10 case shipment was split up - by someone at FedEx - and 5 cases were still in Edgewood GA (AmmoShopOnline shipped it all 10 cases at same time from Savannah) … was told, “Saturday …”

Uh, excuse me, how do y‘all say, “Fvck no! …” there, in Delhi?”

So, this morning I filed a formal complaint and within an hour English-first “Shiela” called to say she was initiating an investigation into why the shipment was halved and within another hour recd a text the remaining 5 to be delivered later today (Friday)

AmmoShopOnline has been stellar throughout all this and said FedEx is often frustrating for them but WORLDS BETTER than UPS and don’t even get em started about USPS. Said per contract FedEx has 7 days to deliver.

This is like my 5th order from AmmoShopOnline within the last 8 or 10 months (2k RWS 22LR match; 5k Norma Tac22; 1k 38 Spl RN and I can’t remember the other) and they are positively above board and good to go!

In hindsight, I am going to try something different next time and just to see how FedEx handles it, I’m going to place an individual order online w AmmoShopOnline, for each individual case …

This whole bizness of FedEx picking up 10 separate cases from Savannah on Monday and moving it to Edgewood, GA where someone takes it upon themselves to halve the shipment and delay 5 cases an extra 3 days smells awfully fishy to me …. we’ll see , “Shiela” kicked my complaint up to corporate in Memphis when I started asking out loud how many shipments like this get ”lost” or package(s) “came open“ and ammo gets pilfered and maybe ATF oughta know if this type of b.s. happens regularly …

The wife had coffee coming out her nose she was holding her laughing out loud back so hard .… not the least bit funny to me …

I WANT MY VITAMINS!

Edit: just got a text my “packages are out for delivery today” …. Go Shiela!

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Something else I’ll say for AmmoShopOnline - they are as far as I can recollect, THE ONLY ONLINE VENDOR we order from that NEVER FAILS TO USE A SURPLUS of this “TAMPER EVIDENT TAPE!!!!!”

One FedEx driver who it turned out is former LE commented once as he helped me stack a handtruck:

No telling How Many sticky fingers that tape prevents!

Attachments

• DD13CFA8-9954-4D1C-97A6-DFA60F870220.jpeg
      DD13CFA8-9954-4D1C-97A6-DFA60F870220.jpeg
      585.4 KB · Views: 74

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    FedEx is better than UPS? No way, I got my ammo on time all the time from UPS!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Last 5 cases arrived while I was down power washing dock - some POS at FedEx outdid themselves and managed to shatter one of the plastic cases inside the shipping carton but, thanks to AmmoShopOnline not sparing any tape all 10 cases had no way for any vitamins to spill out …

Each box weighs a whole devastating unbearable 26-lbs so, my question is who signs up for a career in freight moving and let’s a 26-lb box best them.

F*cking panty waists (change that to diaper wastes)

Fingers crossed by time I need to restock I can find USA made factory new brass in something other than plastic ammo cans for the same $298 / 1,000 with Free Shipping!

Attachments

• E507FF5D-4326-480E-9215-F0D14B8111EA.jpeg
      E507FF5D-4326-480E-9215-F0D14B8111EA.jpeg
      538.4 KB · Views: 85

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Last 5 cases arrived while I was down power washing dock - some POS at FedEx outdid themselves and managed to shatter one of the plastic cases inside the shipping carton but, thanks to AmmoShopOnline not sparing any tape all 10 cases had no way for any vitamins to spill out …

Each box weighs a whole devastating unbearable 26-lbs so, my question is who signs up for a career in freight moving and let’s a 26-lb box best them.

F*cking panty waists (change that to diaper wastes)

Fingers crossed by time I need to restock I can find USA made factory new brass in something other than plastic ammo cans for the same $298 / 1,000 with Free Shipping!
    I’m thinking someone’s idea was to me drop the box hard and if some of the contents “spilled” out they could claim the list vitamins later.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’m thinking someone’s idea was to me drop the box hard and if some of the contents “spilled” out they could claim the list vitamins later.
    I guess never worked in warehousing or shipping. $20 someone just didn’t stack it properly and it fell off on to the ground at some point. Or while loading it on to the truck. Unlikely, but not impossible it was the driver slinging a box.

As for the earlier part on the shipment split up, I see it constantly. Odd it took 3 extra days. But it just depends on when stuff gets loaded on a truck or plane. Could just be the rest of your shipment doesn’t make it. No way 260lbs is getting loaded in one box. So if there are multiple…if it doesn’t make the truck, it doesn’t make the truck.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    That plastic can is so flimsy. My 1 can shipment has a round half-way out of the can hanging on by the edge. I can't complain since it is free shipping.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I've spilled groceries all over the back of my SUV. I'm thinking the FedEx guys that make deliveries and the FedEx guys that load the trucks are in two different unions.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I've spilled groceries all over the back of my SUV. I'm thinking the FedEx guys that make deliveries and the FedEx guys that load the trucks are in two different unions.
    It isn't the FedEx guy fault though. The plastic can is in a paper box. I'm sure people toss the box around from delivery truck to conveyor belt to another truck or airplane. It is the flimsy plastic box. I have never seen a cheap ammo box like that ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom