• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    So, last night, 2/24, I got an email saying my application had been “Assigned to an Investigator” and they would be reaching out to me to conduct an interview. If I don’t hear from them in 30 days, then I can email them.

I thought interviews were no longer required. Seems to be a long time between NICS and this email. Anyone have an idea on what is going on?

Lovely. Could be because I am out of state, veteran, etc. Who knows.
    Got the same notice last July. I believe it's a computer generated response and MSPLD hasn't had time, or inclination, to change it yet.
    No references notified and no interview in my case.
    Don't let it bother you.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    So, last night, 2/24, I got an email saying my application had been “Assigned to an Investigator” and they would be reaching out to me to conduct an interview. If I don’t hear from them in 30 days, then I can email them.

I thought interviews were no longer required. Seems to be a long time between NICS and this email. Anyone have an idea on what is going on?
    It is just part of the auto-generated emails from old system. We were getting them back in July, as well.

They are sporadic, some get them and others don’t.

You should note, however, that the investigator contact info in the email is correct/valid, so hold onto it in case you have an issue before your permit is approved.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    It is just part of the auto-generated emails from old system. We were getting them back in July, as well.

They are sporadic, some get them and others don’t.

You should note, however, that the investigator contact info in the email is correct/valid, so hold onto it in case you have an issue before your permit is approved.
    Well, it has been 5 weeks since my NICS. Most people seem to be approved within a month of NICS. Guess I am special, LOL.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    For what it’s worth.
    When I submitted application
    I got a e mail notice it was accepted about week later . Next notice was I got was approved.
    No e mail or portal updates in between.

When I did get approved e mail it showed nics assigned 1 day before approval in my portals history.

Accepted and approved are the only considant
    e mail or portal notifications in process it seems.

My accepted and approved e mails both came after 8 pm at night. Not during regular business hours.
    Start to finish 48 days for hgp
    Hql was about 2 weeks.

BillyKimber

Jan 21, 2023
    Columbia
    Submitted 1/23/23
    Accepted 1/26/23
    NICS 2/5/23
    Still waiting...

Meanwhile I get to pick my Bul Armory up this Friday 3/3 (pending 77r).

Last edited:

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC
    Lovely. Could be because I am out of state, veteran, etc. Who knows. Been a month since my NICS check so was hoping to get approval shortly.

Trying to get the permit so I don’t have to disarm at the Potomac when we visit our property in MD.

They finally caught you! They know you are really DB Copper and they want their money back!

But joking aside you say you are a veteran? Did you participate in G-RAP when you were in the service? When CID was investigating that they apparently reported many cases they investigated as convictions when they were closed inconclusively. It has caused a lot of veterans a lot of grief.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Well, it has been 5 weeks since my NICS. Most people seem to be approved within a month of NICS. Guess I am special, LOL.
    Actually, only 4 weeks since 1/26, and only 45 days since accepted. :cool:

Keep in mind the NICS date is not an historical driver. The accepted to approved span is the main period to consider/compare. (I do realize some are having shorter than average accepted to approved than others.)

Compared to what the waits were back around August, you are still looking pretty good. :)

Jpaul97

Feb 24, 2023
    Kent Island, MD
    1/29 submitted
    2/3 application has shortages (photo too small)
    2/9 application accepted

23HGP0109XX (started the application a while ago, just never submitted)

I have heard nothing since then not even for an investigator assigned. I check the portal daily, and no updates. Should I call to get an update? Or is it useless and just a waiting game at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    1/29 submitted
    2/3 application has shortages (photo too small)
    2/9 application accepted

23HGP0109XX (started the application a while ago, just never submitted)

I have heard nothing since then not even for an investigator assigned. I check the portal daily, and no updates. Should I call to get an update? Or is it useless and just a waiting game at this point

You are not even at 30 days since accepted, so just be patient. :)

I haven’t been watching times real closely, but it had been averaging around 45 days from accepted to approved. There have been some outliers, though.

Calling should be reserved for a known issue or if you hit 90 days.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just start reading the posts in this thread and you will probably have your permit before you are finished, if not start over on the funny pictures thread and that should take care of things.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    Actually, only 4 weeks since 1/26, and only 45 days since accepted. :cool:

Keep in mind the NICS date is not an historical driver. The accepted to approved span is the main period to consider/compare. (I do realize some are having shorter than average accepted to approved than others.)

Compared to what the waits were back around August, you are still looking pretty good. :)
    historical the NICS date was a driver… until recently (like the last 60 days or so) final dispositions came 7-14 days after NICS dates. Now it appears the process in house has changed.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    They finally caught you! They know you are really DB Copper and they want their money back!

But joking aside you say you are a veteran? Did you participate in G-RAP when you were in the service? When CID was investigating that they apparently reported many cases they investigated as convictions when they were closed inconclusively. It has caused a lot of veterans a lot of grief.
    Not involved in that. Will just have to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom