• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    As a MD resident traveling abroad, is it possible to apply for and receive a C&R while outside the country? No need to state the obvious of get it taken care of before I go, it's too late for that. I picked up a sweet gig and might have an opportunity to pick up some antiques. I understand the need for the ATF&E Form 6 permit to import a firearm which seems a beast in-of-itself. Would the C&R assist in that? Based on the ATF.gov it seems I am limited to bolt action rifles or revolvers because:

"ATF would not authorize the importation of semiautomatic assault weapons, even if classified as curios or relics,"

So much for that Sten I found in an old barn :tantrum: (I wish)

I guess I need to get a better definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" and how that applies to C&R imports before I start hitting the small town antique shops.

Anyone with personal experience with this?

Thanks!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm hardly an authority on the subject, but I think that if you have a permanent address in the U.S., and are just travelling, you could do it just the same way as you would from home. The only thing that comes to mind is sending the LEO a note that you are temporarily out of the country, and having the paperwork forwarded to you.

On the other hand, if you don't have a permanent address that you'll be maintaining, I don't see how you could do it.

I've never looked into what's involved in importing firearms, but know there are some companies (believe that a couple in Annapolis does this) that assist people who want to import firearms. Someone mentioned them here several months ago.

Also, if the firearms really are antiques, I think that would make life easier, since they are non-firearms. I say this not by way of giving advice, but only to encourage you. It would certainly be worth doing some research.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Thanks. I did check with a Customs broker and they basically stated they are only the middle man to handle the paperwork and offered no advice on the legal side of things. I should contact an FFL as I would need to have the items sent to a FFL, which is fine. I guess it's time to put a call into the ATF help line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom