• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Although not the ideal time, I am considering an AR-10 build project. With the legislative outcome in MD still uncertain I thought that building an AR-10 would give me more flexibility down the road as I could swith uppers among multilpe calibers.

Since there is not a set standard for AR-10 receivers as is the case with the AR-15, I would appreciate any recommendations / suggestions regarding which mfg to use. I read that the RRA LAR-8 uses the metric FAL mags, what do the others require?

If this has been covered elsewhere, kindly point me in that direction.
    Thanks.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    First off, the RRA and formerly Bushmaster that use FAL mags are completely different from all the other 308 AR type guns. They are longer and the pins spacing won't fit with any others.

If you maximum potential flexibility go with the POF lower. They take .250 pivot and take down pins and with adapters can fit most other larger pinned uppers.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    dpms, mega, si defense and others use pmags. There is a lot of threads about pmags making an unreliable 308 AR work.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    If you want to get really complicated with building a 308 AR there seems to be endless combinations of buffer tube types lengths, springs, and 308 buffers, AR carbine buffers 308 Carbine buffers ect... that has to be just right. Add to that swapping an Armalite carrier with a DPMS one. Makes my head spin

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    From my limited understanding, there are 2 camps. DPMS pattern (the uses Pmags) and the AR10 pattern (armalite and noveske). There are more uppers available for the DPMS pattern.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    From my limited understanding, there are 2 camps. DPMS pattern (the uses Pmags) and the AR10 pattern (armalite and noveske). There are more uppers available for the DPMS pattern.

Armalite also makes AR10A's, which take DPMS/SR25 style magazines. The AR10B's take what is essentially a modified M14 magazine. They are heavy but they are bomb proof.

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    Doing the same. Got a Fulton Armory Lower. Still at FFL and has been so since 12/29/12. Haven't got my hands on it.
    Presumably it will take a SR-25 Mag.
    I agree that the AR 10 build is way more complex because of the many more choices for components (and quite a bit more expensive to boot) than building AR15s.
    Seems like a worthy project though.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Doing the same. Got a Fulton Armory Lower. Still at FFL and has been so since 12/29/12. Haven't got my hands on it.
    Presumably it will take a SR-25 Mag.
    I agree that the AR 10 build is way more complex because of the many more choices for components (and quite a bit more expensive to boot) than building AR15s.
    Seems like a worthy project though.

Why??? They are not regulated!!! Tell any FFL who says otherwise to F themselves and find one that knows the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom