• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    I just picked up a DPMS SASS .308 and am in the market for a scope. I have been looking at the Nikon M308. Anyone have any experience with this scope or is there one you would recommend? Thanks.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I just picked up a DPMS SASS .308 and am in the market for a scope. I have been looking at the Nikon M308. Anyone have any experience with this scope or is there one you would recommend? Thanks.

A friend of mine has the nikon m308 , you can't beat it for the money . I have one of the M223s they are great scopes .

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    What is your intended purpose for the rifle? That makes a big difference in choice of scopes.. that said, you can't go wrong with a Nikon M series, I run an M223 on my AR-15 and love it!

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    I have the M223 4-16x on my 18" barrel AR15 and its not bad, but not my favorite. I screwed up and bought a nightforce as my very first scope and I am screwed up for life now.

What's you budget? How long are you looking to go? Vortex viper pst is a decent scope in the 700-900 range.

from an undisclosed location

MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    To be honest, I have no idea what I will be using it for....beer and gunbroker don't work out so well. However, I would like to get back into long range shooting (4-600 yard).

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Hmmm.... Owning the Nikon, SWFA Super Sniper, and a Vortex... I would go for the Super Sniper or Vortex. The circles in the BDC reticle on the Nikon are way to big for distance precision shooting, not to mention its only a 1" tube.

I bought one of SWFAs 1-6x with HD glass for my SCAR 17; the clarity of the glass is amazing.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

If you got a nice rifle, it deserves nice glass.

NF
    S&B
    Leupold high end
    Bushnell/Horus high end<- Love my Bushnell/Horus HDMR - http://www.horusvision.com/talon.php <- interesting 1-4x option, illuminated with grids designed for 800 yards (how far you gonna shoot?) $600

If you want to go cheap, well you might as well get the Midway BSA 4x14 mil/mil FFP scope. It's pretty decent.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx - $699

vs

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...il-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte - $249

What are you getting from the SWFA that you don't get in the BSA?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I do agree with the comment on the BDC reticle on the Nikon, that's why I use the std crosshairs and the BDC turret on my varmint rifle... works like a champ... I will also say that most of my rifles are sporting Leupold glass and I have had many years of performance out of them too..

I am not a fan of cluttered reticles.. I'd rather have a crosshair reticle and a chart taped on my stock if need be.. lol

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on my AR308 and I think its a very good fit. I'm happy with the clarity of objects at 24x, the ranging reticule works perfectly and isn't too cluttered, and at less than $1k its a good value.

-Jim

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on my AR308 and I think its a very good fit. I'm happy with the clarity of objects at 24x, the ranging reticule works perfectly and isn't too cluttered, and at less than $1k its a good value.

-Jim

I have one on my R700 but wasn't sure it had enough eye relief on the AR? Do you have any issues, I need a scope for my AR10.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have one on my R700 but wasn't sure it had enough eye relief on the AR? Do you have any issues, I need a scope for my AR10.

I put my scope on a set of Larue Ultra Low QD rings and use it on both my AR308 and my R700 with zero problems. I used a weaver branded extended riser on the AR308 to properly position the scope and it works like it was built just for that gun.

-Jim

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I put my scope on a set of Larue Ultra Low QD rings and use it on both my AR308 and my R700 with zero problems. I used a weaver branded extended riser on the AR308 to properly position the scope and it works like it was built just for that gun.

-Jim

Have ANY problems with returning to zero? At 100 yards, its not a big deal to be MOA off...but 600+ gonna cause me a problem.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Have ANY problems with returning to zero? At 100 yards, its not a big deal to be MOA off...but 600+ gonna cause me a problem.

None. I use the R700 as my reference point and keep a list in my phone of adjustments to make for each gun. I get zero each time.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Here's what the PST looks like on my SO-308. You can see the riser makes eye relief perfect.

-Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      133.1 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads