• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    First, apologies if I missed a sticky that covered some of this.

I'm in the final stages of picking out pieces for my AR-15 10.5" 300 AAC Blackout build. My Radical Firearms upper arrived today. Obviously I haven't fired it, but it's just beautiful. What I need now are a set of iron sights (either flip up or not), a lower parts kit, and optics advice. This will be both a range gun and (hopefully) used for deer hunting later this year.

Iron Sights:
    I've seen lots of conflicting info on whether or not flip up sights are reliable. I also don't really know where to buy them. Online or in store? Opinions on 45 degree canted sights? I like the idea, but I'm not sure how they would work in practice. I'll happily accept opinions about good or bad manufacturers and builds.

Lower Parts Kit:
    I think I've settled on the CMMG kit as I really like their little build video (a puzzle!), but I'm open to other, potentially cheaper, options. Recommendations about kits that don't include the trigger assembly and what to buy to fill the hole?

Optics:
    There seem to be a lot of options out there... Red dot, low magnification, high magnification, and sets ranging from $80 - $600. Given the recoil on the gun, which I assume will be low-ish, do I need to invest in a really high quality scope? I have a BSA Sweet 22 on my 10/22 and, despite being cheap, it offers great accuracy. I'm sort of leaning towards an optic that goes from 1x to 4x or 5x. Reasonable? What about reflex scopes? Also, are two flip-to-side scope mounts viable? If so, would that be something worth considering?

As always, I'm grateful for any direction you guys can give. After all, I'm just a n00b.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Disclaimer: I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" mentality.

Start with a good set of irons, and learn how to use them. I'm partial to Troy, but folks also seem to like Magpul.

LPKs are personal preference. Pick a reputable manufacturer and you're good to go. Upgrade the trigger when you are proficient enough with the rifle to understand the difference it will make.

Again I suggest learning how to use your irons before investing in an optic. With specifics to an optic it really depends on the purpose of the weapon. HD, Plinking, Hunting, all of the above? That might drive your decision.

Best of luck.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I was thinking of building one of these but then looked at .300 AAC ammo. Seems really pricey not sure why? $1+/round would be an expensive day at the range. Anyone enlighten be why this is so great? Or is this just a passing fad?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    For a pistol, I think a red dot would be the easiest to acquire and more forgiving. I would also suggest working on how you will hold/shoot it and see what sight setup compliments that.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I was thinking of building one of these but then looked at .300 AAC ammo. Seems really pricey not sure why? $1+/round would be an expensive day at the range. Anyone enlighten be why this is so great? Or is this just a passing fad?

You can get at Walmart for less than a $1/rd. .300 is supposed to be a more efficient suppressor host even with short barrels. Maybe someone else with experience can chime in. I don't think it's a fad. I'd like to build an 8in pistol .300.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Big bullet I reload them
    Just the bullet alone costs 30 cents when buying 100. Plus powder is 10 cents about
    Plus they don't sell nearly as much black out as 223

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

A big component was efficiency through a short barrel. I didn't feel it would be worth it to build a 5.56 is a similarly short barrel. I'm planning on getting a matching upper in 5.56 sometime later but in a longer barrel. I just went with 300 blk first.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

It's "pricey" because they don't make nearly so much of it as they do 5.56. $1+ a round is really expensive, even for .300, though. I've been buying it at around $0.50 per round for supersonic target ammo. My last bunch was $0.59 per round delivered to my house. Defensive and subsonic ammo will be a little more, but I just bought some 220gr HPBT subsonic ammo for $0.74 per round, delivered to my house.

So yeah, it's more expensive than 5.56 is for sure, but the $1 a round thing is only if you buy it at inflated retail prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom