• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml4wheeling

Mar 12, 2012
    Frederick
    I am new to the AR and I am wondering about building an AR chambered in .308. I have a .223 lower on order and I am thinking about getting another lower in .308 for hunting. I was wondering if after Oct. 1st if a lower in .308 falls under the restriction. I was told it was not and I could get one after Oct. 1st.

Thanks

xref

May 9, 2013
    I think you should be good to go after October 1st. It specifically says AR-15. .308 is an AR-10. I've been told caliber does matter.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    You're better off buying a pre built LR308 style gun versus building one due to the dimensional issues with parts.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I am new to the AR and I am wondering about building an AR chambered in .308. I have a .223 lower on order and I am thinking about getting another lower in .308 for hunting. I was wondering if after Oct. 1st if a lower in .308 falls under the restriction. I was told it was not and I could get one after Oct. 1st.

Thanks

I was at Hafers gun store and I listened into a conversation between a customer and one of the employees. They said the 308 is not on the ban list. So you can purchase it after Oct 1. You might ask the Hafer's guys on the Hafer's thread under "Industry Partners" forum. They are pretty responsive. Great gun store too in Downsville, Md.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You're better off buying a pre built LR308 style gun versus building one due to the dimensional issues with parts.

specifically lower and upper units..

but rest of the parts.. are interchangeable i believe. (ie.. triggers, stock etc.)

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you build, be sure and get the upper and lower as a set, because there is no "Mil Spec" dimensions for the 308, so each manufacturer may be slightly different. Also, make sure you get a lower that accepts the PMAG/DPMS style magazines as they are more plentiful.

I considered building, but instead just purchased a DPMS LRT in 308. I've heard from others that the 308 isn't quite as straight forward a build as the standard AR, due in part for the need for different buffers, springs, and sometimes barrel nuts.

Also, I wouldn't put any guarantee that Gansler won't call an AR-10 a "copycat" on 10/2.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    specifically lower and upper units..

but rest of the parts.. are interchangeable i believe. (ie.. triggers, stock etc.)

A lot of folks get the true AR10 parts mixed up with the DPMS/SR25 styles parts. The receivers are cut differently, the barrel extensions are different, bolt carrier; the LR308 uses regular style AR15 trigger parts but you will need a heavier hammer spring. The buffer tubes are inconsistent between guns....etc

:sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are no standardized parts between 308 AR style rifles IIRC. No standard really exists as far as a Mil spec.

I bought a Colt LE 901-16S from Shooter's Discount in MT Airy. I like the rifle. You need an adapter to put a 5.56 upper on it however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom