• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    And just for everyone's information. Green Tips along with Black Tips are terrible for self defense against threats not wearing body armor.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

New Jersey possibly.

There you go.

I've been shooting crappy Herter's steel-case Russian .223 I bought a big butt-load of from Cabela's for $5.99 - $6.99/20 rds. Same stuff as Wolf and Tula, packaged under Cabela's proprietary name. A little dirty, but works fine out of my Mini-14 and AR. I've got better ammo, but for informal paper-punching, this stuff is plenty good.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    What do folks think about a choice for a defense round for a 14-16" barrel, chambered in 5.56mm?

I'm trying to get up to speed from what the Corps was using back in the 90s (M855 was the standard) and figure out what would be more useful in a shorter barrel and for a civilian who isn't likely to need armor penetration.

The newish SOST round I read about in a few places looks good, but I'll just toss this out for discussion.

End result after I build will probably be a mid-length rifle, 16" barrel with a 1/7 twist, and I definitely want to get it chambered for 5.56 (I can always shoot .223 that way). Beyond that, I'm (re) learning.

And then I'll probably go build another upper in full 20" rifle length too, so that may dictate a different round. For now I'm thinking of a close-quarters deal though.

And this seems like a good thread to ask in.

Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For HD, I actually prefer the light varmint grenades thru a 1:9. Packs plenty of punch, but less worry about overpenetration. Haven't tried them with a 1:7 Middy I built though.

Although lately I've gone to a diff't caliber AR for HD duty, .50 Beowulf. :evilgrin3

Figure your ears are going to be trashed after the first 2 rounds (5.56/.223 or whatever else for that matter), so might as well go for maximum effect with the least rounds expended.

(Live in the country, and no kids, so overpenetration isn't a main concern for me.)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    IMHO

M193 > M855/SS109

The military made a poor choice when going with the useless "penetrater" round.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    What do folks think about a choice for a defense round for a 14-16" barrel, chambered in 5.56mm?

M193 is probably the best of the inexpensive rounds. In those barrel lengths you should get good fragmentation out to about 100-150yrds. Stay away from bimetal jacket stuff.

If cost is not an issue or the intended use is for SBRs or longer range and your rifle can stabilizes them the heavy OTM loadings are the best.

If you want a barrier blind round the middle weight bonded/partition loads seem to be preferred.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    6 ounces more than the MTAC.

And twice as much. Heck, it is twice as much as the Vortex Viper PST.

chris1205

Mar 25, 2013
    harford county
    i know you cant shoot the xm855 at freestate, anyone know if u can shoot the xm193?

I just bought some of this and I did not know it was the green tip until after I purchased it. The box didn't mention the steel tip at all. Does anyone know where it can be used (range wise)? Cecil county out door range maybe? i have three hundred rounds to have fun with, but not sure where I can shoot it.
    I live in Harford county. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I just bought some of this and I did not know it was the green tip until after I purchased it. The box didn't mention the steel tip at all. Does anyone know where it can be used (range wise)? Cecil county out door range maybe? i have three hundred rounds to have fun with, but not sure where I can shoot it.
    I live in Harford county. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Any outdoor range will be fine. Indoor ranges don't like bi metal bullets because it can tear up their back stop.

chris1205

Mar 25, 2013
    harford county
    thanks,

Now I need to find one. Cecil county I believe is an honor system for registering or shooting for the day. Not sure if any members have been there or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom