• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Coming next:

1. Hunting scope (Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 50 mm) and a Burris, PEPR scope mount.
    2. Sling
    3. Upper: Bison 6.8 Remington SPC 20 inch SPCII, 1:11 twist 4 grove fluted with target crown:

I wanted to get a complete upper because I don't have the space to install a vice as I live in an apartment. Also this is my first AR and don't have the right tools to check for head spacing or to accurately align the barrel with the gas port at the right torque amount. Also I didn't want to beak the bank and Bison has reasonable prices, seems to have a good following and I never saw a negative review.

So here is what I ordered:

1. Barrel/Finish: 20 inch heavy fluted with rifle length gas system. Bead Blasted for a mat finish
    2. Upper Receiver: Bison Armory Forged
    3. Forearm: YHM Lightweight Rifle
    4. Muzzle Options: Unthreaded w/Target Crown
    5. Bolt Options: Standard 6.8 bolt
    6. Bolt Carrier: Young Mfg Phosphate
    7. Stake Carrier: Yes
    8. Gas Block: Bison Armory Low Pro
    9. Pin Gas Block: No
    10. Charging Handle: Standard

Price $765 with shipping.

As you can see from the built this is exclusively for "longish" range rifle for precision shooting, see hunting. My target practice will be for the purpose to prepare for hunting. In the future depending on how much free time I have I might get into competition.

For hunting I mainly hunt from a tree, but depending on the conditions I do stalking in thick brush. That type of hunting has different demands and using a scope is not ideal as the shooting distance is about 20 yards. Also in my favorite hunting area there is a resident black bear which I encountered a few times when I was following a deer. He is usually shy and walks away when he spots me, but recently I was examining his scat during a bow hunt and I heard a noise, looked up and there he was 3 yards in front of me. He ran away when I stood up, but he is getting friendlier lately.

Where am I going with this, I would like to install some type of sights for quick target acquisition in case he ever decides to get too friendly with me. I know the Maryland DNR says you should carry pepper spray but I don't want to be fishing for a pepper spray if things happen fast. I am not planning to shoot him or anything but I 'd like to have the feeling of safety. Also bear hunting in Frederick is not legal.

So here is my question:
    What would be a good option for sights that coexist well with a scope and how do I install/mount them? It's also important they be fairly small so they don't change the rifle profile too much so the rifle doesn't catch on branches etc. Given the length of the rifle this might be an oxymoron, but I presume it would be similar to preparing the rifle for close quarter combat?
    I d appreciate any advise you might have.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks every one for your comments and the vote of confidence on the 6.8 choice. I don't have the upper yet as I am still saving for it, but should be able to get it soon. I guess my tags were a spoiler, and I am thinking of using the Bison armory upper. I figured those guys specialize only on that caliber they can't help but becoming good at it after a while.

Jimbobborg you said you have one, how do you like it?

boss66tcode I am also realizing that I ll have to start reloading given the ammo and case prices... Never done it, so it will be a fun learning exercise!

Bison is good stuff. They're slow to respond, it's really a one-man operation. My upper is the 20" SPR upper, I put a PWS FSC30 brake in it. I've used it occasionally in 3-Gun and a couple of zombie shoots in PA. I've hit steel at 500 yards with it. I will never give this gun up.

BTW, the PRI mags are great if you're loading long, if you're using stock length ammunition try C-Products magazines, they're less than $20 for the 25 round mags.

I have three Barret 30-round mags for my short cartridges, they're pricey but stone reliable.

And get a reloading set up. My favorite load is 110gr Accubonds over a compressed RL10x charge, Wolf SR primers. SSA brass only. I "lost" most of my Remington brass, it quite frankly sucks and is overpriced.

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    You can still possess, use and transport magazines over 10 rounds, you just can't buy or sell them in the state.

Nice build!

Thanks for the info, this is encouraging. This made me go and read the new law again. That thing is so confusing, especially with all the amendments in it...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Thanks for the info, this is encouraging. This made me go and read the new law again. That thing is so confusing, especially with all the amendments in it...

That is the idea. Make it so no one wants to even try the shooting sports out for fear of being a law breaker. Or so vague that any attempt to try something within the law is punishable giving not to section C, subsection 1i, paragraph 3C referencing article 34.2S.

Why 6.8 and not 6.5 or 300AAC?

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    That is the idea. Make it so no one wants to even try the shooting sports out for fear of being a law breaker. Or so vague that any attempt to try something within the law is punishable giving not to section C, subsection 1i, paragraph 3C referencing article 34.2S.

Why 6.8 and not 6.5 or 300AAC?

Indeed!

I considered all of the above and also 7.62x39
    Where I go hunting right now with my bow I have views up to max 300 yards. Of course with a bow I can only shoot to 30 yards. I am sitting on the tree stand and frequently spot deer at 250 yards hoping they would come my way. It would be great to have something to pick them at that range. Why not bolt action it's another story, but mainly I like the semi automatics and also thinking to do it as a sport outside of hunting and I like ARs.

So given my range requirement I was left with 6.5 and 6.8. I wouldn't shoot a deer with a bullet energy of less than 1000 fps. That and my maximum range limits the caliber choices. The reason I am leaning towards 6.8 is better availability of ammo (although I understand I will have to reload if I want to shoot a reasonable amount with either round). The second reason is the efficiency of the 6.8. From what I understand with a 20 inch barrel effectively you maximize the potential of a 6.8 but with 6.5 one needs longer barrels and 20 inch or 40 inch total length is the maximum I am willing to go.

At the same time 6.5 can support longer bullets heavier than 6.8 and better ballistic coefficient, but then again 6.8 has some nice examples out there with impressive BC. That's the reason it took me so long to decide...:o

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Bison is good stuff. They're slow to respond, it's really a one-man operation. My upper is the 20" SPR upper, I put a PWS FSC30 brake in it. I've used it occasionally in 3-Gun and a couple of zombie shoots in PA. I've hit steel at 500 yards with it. I will never give this gun up.

BTW, the PRI mags are great if you're loading long, if you're using stock length ammunition try C-Products magazines, they're less than $20 for the 25 round mags.

I have three Barret 30-round mags for my short cartridges, they're pricey but stone reliable.

And get a reloading set up. My favorite load is 110gr Accubonds over a compressed RL10x charge, Wolf SR primers. SSA brass only. I "lost" most of my Remington brass, it quite frankly sucks and is overpriced.

Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into those. This forum is a treasure!

Where can you shoot at 500 yards? I am planning to visit the Hap Baker Firearms Facility when I get the upper but it only goes to 200.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into those. This forum is a treasure!

Where can you shoot at 500 yards? I am planning to visit the Hap Baker Firearms Facility when I get the upper but it only goes to 200.

The 500 yard shots were during a 3-gun match at Cavalier near Charlottesville. Most of the guys shooting .223 had problems on the 400 yard targets, the spotters had to see the bullet splash to confirm hits. With the 6.8, they could hear the steel being hit out to 500 yards :D

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD

What gas tube length do you have? Mid length or rifle? How does it cycle?
    thanks.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Magazines

I was going to go for the cheapest ones I could find, as for some reason 6.8 SPC mags are quite expensive, but then I read a few reviews and when I discovered my favorite round (SSA 140 Grain Berger) they also recommend the Precision Reflex Inc. (PRI) mags. Unfortunately my indecision between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC pushed me beyond Oct. 1st so when I decided on the 6.8 SPC caliber I could only get the 10 round mags. I got two mags from Brownells for $80 (ouch!). As it is, they barely protrude below the mag well – they are tiny.

I keep telling myself that it doesn’t matter since the rounds are so expensive I won’t be shooting for quantity. In any case I can only load 8 rounds when I go hunting.
    But why can’t I have 15 or 20 round mags which I think it’s the reasonable size mag one should carry on this platform. I am so glad I have 5 15-round mags for my Glock. The other day I participated at the Gilbert's range Hogan Alley event and I needed every bullet in the mag for the course without wasting ammo. I wonder for people that participate in shooting matches if there is any exception to the 10-round-mag rule, or if the event organizers give people from Maryland a handicap… Anyway, enough of my rambling, I wanted to put my complain out there…

Back to the PRI 6.8 SPC mags I got. They are very well and carefully made. PRI’s QA/QC works well. They are steel construction from 0.033 inch thick sheet. They have a waffle pattern as well as two vertical indentations for protection against bulging. Effectively they are made by stamping the two halves of the mag with a tool and welding them together at the locations where the primer and the tip of the bullet sit. The seams are very clean and smooth without any indentations giving a total length from primer to bullet tip 2.320 inch and 2.460 inch total length. Effectively the manufacturing technique allows them to achieve this large tolerance and that is why SSA recommends them since their rounds are 2.300 inch overall length. The mags have the PRI logo as well as 6.8 mm written on them. The plastic follower is olive green and has 6.8 inscribed near the bullet tip. The bottom of the magazine has the following stamped: "WWW.PRI-MOUNTS.COM, USA, NEW BREMEN, OH". When I am done with the rifle all the components will have the MADE IN USA logo on them (except for the scope...)

Regarding fit and function in the lower receiver:
    the mags insert effortlessly and catch on the mag catch.
    When you press the mag release button the bolt catch spring shoots them out of the mag-well as expected. I haven’t loaded them with ammo yet to see how they do.
    I didn't think you were allowed to carry more than 3 or 5 rounds in a centerfire rifle while hunting in most of North America. At least for anything bigger than varmints.
    I'll have to remember those SSA Berger 140g rounds. I was looking for something that stayed supersonic past 1000 yards. My 6.8 SPC II AR has a 20" barrel. I have 2-25 and 1-5 rd PRI mags plus one 10 rd C&H.
    If you want some bigger mags just let me know. I have both a PO box in WV and I am moving there in about 1-2 weeks.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Magazines

The seams are very clean and smooth without any indentations giving a total length from primer to bullet tip 2.320 inch and 2.460 inch total length. Effectively the manufacturing technique allows them to achieve this large tolerance and that is why SSA recommends them since their rounds are 2.300 inch overall length. .

Interesting, I was under the impression only the old style non-waffle mags allowed loading to 2.30 and the newer models were shorter. If that's the case, I'll have to pick some up. Otherwise C-products are good for the money.

I have a new 6.8 in the works. I just got my barrel in Friday. It's an 18" ARP melonite barrel with mid-length system. The reports are on par with Bison if you ask those who own both. What I can say is that 2 weeks after you click "buy" it's delivered to your door. If you have questions, the owner will answer them that day or the next.

Here's the barrel in with the parts pile.

Attachments

• all parts.jpg
      all parts.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 436

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    I didn't think you were allowed to carry more than 3 or 5 rounds in a centerfire rifle while hunting in most of North America. At least for anything bigger than varmints.
    I'll have to remember those SSA Berger 140g rounds. I was looking for something that stayed supersonic past 1000 yards. My 6.8 SPC II AR has a 20" barrel. I have 2-25 and 1-5 rd PRI mags plus one 10 rd C&H.
    If you want some bigger mags just let me know. I have both a PO box in WV and I am moving there in about 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for the offer. I ll be traveling to WI for the holidays and will visit my favorite Cabelas store.

For hunting deer and bear in MD you can have up to 8 rounds in the mag regardless of it size. For others you can have more.

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Interesting, I was under the impression only the old style non-waffle mags allowed loading to 2.30 and the newer models were shorter. If that's the case, I'll have to pick some up. Otherwise C-products are good for the money.

I have a new 6.8 in the works. I just got my barrel in Friday. It's an 18" ARP melonite barrel with mid-length system. The reports are on par with Bison if you ask those who own both. What I can say is that 2 weeks after you click "buy" it's delivered to your door. If you have questions, the owner will answer them that day or the next.

Here's the barrel in with the parts pile.

Those barrels look great and I like the carburising. What kind of a hand guard is that?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the offer. I ll be traveling to WI for the holidays and will visit my favorite Cabelas store.

For hunting deer and bear in MD you can have up to 8 rounds in the mag regardless of it size. For others you can have more.
    I kind of decided to do 6.8 on a spur of the moment. Had another lower to build and was perusing the PSA site one night when they put their 6.8 A2 heavy contour 20" milspec upper on sale for $320 (from $500). Pulled the trigger on it and got it in around 2 weeks. Threw out the mil-spec handguard, took the flash hider off, knocked the A2 front sight/gas block off. Installed low profile DD gas block, installed the extended rifle length Samson Evo handguard taken of my Stag 3G, and installed a Wilson Combat Accu-Trac flash hider. Built the lower using a spare RRA NM trigger, added an Ergo platform hand grip, threw on a Fab Defense stock (will do PRS later), RGuns NB BCG, BCM charging handle, and topped it off with the same BSA MRAD 4-14x44 Tactical scope I have used on everything from my 5.56 ARs to my .308 bolt gun. Very small groups at 100 yards so far. Will do some pictures soon. Would like to put a Wilson SS 18" fluted barrel on it some time down the road but I want to see what kind of accuracy I can get with essentially a mil-spec barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom