• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    Afternoon,

I'm looking around at optics options for my Bushmaster -- it's an A2 HB style with carry handle and no rails.

The gun is about 10 years old and cost me 800-ish so I'm not looking to drop another $800-$1100 (I could buy a whole new upper + red dot for less than that). I'd be looking to spend around $200 - $300 for the optics and mounting gear to attach to the carry handle.

Thank you.

D.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Vortex strikefire, i believe they make a carry handle mount. Or get the lower mount and get a rail attachment for carry handle

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well for around $200 you could just swap out your upper receiver for a flat-top one. Really the A2 carry handle doesn't make sense today unless you are doing a historical build or are a CMP/NM shooter.

I sold my A2-style upper (well, complete rifle) a few years ago and never looked back. I have 3 complete flat top uppers and a fourth to be built shortly... the flexibility you get with these is worth the effort to switch even your old A2 out for one.

The problems with mounting a scope on top of a carry handle are as follows;

1 - limited choice of optics that are secured DIRECTLY into the groove/hole drilled into the carry handle itself.

2 - whether you go with the option just described, or a rail adaptor, you will have a ridiculous sight line over bore measurement, which can make it difficult to use the optic effectively.

3 - again because the optic is mounted so high, you will likely need a cheek riser to use the scope properly.

So really, in short if you want to add optics, do it right or don't do it at all, IMO. There are mounts that clamp into the groove of the carry handle, and put a section of 1913 rail over your handguard so you can use a red dot/holo sight, which would be the best option if you don't want to swap out your upper receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom